RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Active Wing Stuck / Not Functioning

Old 12-30-14, 10:07 AM
RetroGamerJP
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Active Wing Stuck / Not Functioning

Hello all - just wanted to make you aware of a problem I was having and ultimately the solution (as soon as Lexus figures it out) ...

About a week ago my active wing stopped working. I was on the highway, it was up and functioning as usual. when I got to my destination, got out and locked the car I noticed the spoiler was still up. Usually in Auto mode it has retracted long before you come to a complete stop.

Here is what I have done and/or how it is behaving:
The wing button stays lit.
Holding the button for 3 seconds causes the light to go out momentarily but it then come back on.
On the cluster display it shows the wing up and in green (makes sense since it is up)
In the Menu settings, deactivating the wing and re-activating it does notwork.
re-initializing the settings does not help either.
No errors appear anywhere in the car/displays.

These are essentially the things the dealer did as well before tacking it back to the tech. They then ran a diagnostics and said that there is an active fault code (did not tell me which one) leading them to believe it is either the switch or the motor. However, since this is the first RC-F they have had with an issue they said there was a certain field technician that would need to come look at the car and guide them on next steps. Since it is the holiday we have tentatively set an appointment for the week of the 5th.

Until then it's still in the up position which is not horrible but it does certainly bug me that with only 600 miles on the clock I've already encountered an issue.

I will update everyone as soon as I learn more.
Old 12-30-14, 11:33 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like something is stuck where the wing is supposed to retract in to, and its causing the wing to stay up. Kinda like how Lexus and other car makes have a safety feature for their automatic windows and trunks, if there is enough force or pressure preventing them from closing, it will go into safety mode and the window will automatically go down because its thinking someones hand may have gotten stuck, same thing with the trunk lid on my LX, it automatically goes back up... I always wondered what will happen if something got stuck in the wing on the RCF... Please keep us posted, and GL bro!
Old 12-30-14, 04:40 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SexyLexus
Sounds like something is stuck where the wing is supposed to retract in to, and its causing the wing to stay up. Kinda like how Lexus and other car makes have a safety feature for their automatic windows and trunks, if there is enough force or pressure preventing them from closing, it will go into safety mode and the window will automatically go down because its thinking someones hand may have gotten stuck, same thing with the trunk lid on my LX, it automatically goes back up... I always wondered what will happen if something got stuck in the wing on the RCF... Please keep us posted, and GL bro!
Yes...did you visually inspect the area under the wing to see if something has become lodged in the mechanism?
Old 02-24-15, 05:43 PM
buckse
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default uh oh...

mine is now stuck in the up position also. I checked as good as I could to make sure nothing is underneath. when I push the button on the dash, I can hear some clicking so I think the motors are still working. I'm guessing the gears have jumped off track and are no longer connected to motor somehow?!?
Old 02-24-15, 05:51 PM
followtheF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this happen to me once (sorta) about a hundred or so miles in.

Didn't notice anything driving, but when I got out in the parking lot, I noticed the wing was up. I wondered if this was just a "feature" to show off the carbon fiber wing. I didn't do anything about it, but next time I drove and parked, it was back in the stowed position. Chalked it up to me still learning and playing with everything/ Since then it's operated normally: up when driving (or if I manually put it up to impress people lol), and down when I have to inevitably slow down or park. I'll be on the lookout if I see this again though.

GL, and in the meantime just rock that wing like you always want it up!
Old 02-25-15, 06:05 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

What was the solution or cause of the problem for these issues? Might be picking up an RCF this week
Old 02-25-15, 12:43 PM
MrJeager
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RetroGame
Hello all - just wanted to make you aware of a problem I was having and ultimately the solution (as soon as Lexus figures it out) ...

About a week ago my active wing stopped working. I was on the highway, it was up and functioning as usual. when I got to my destination, got out and locked the car I noticed the spoiler was still up. Usually in Auto mode it has retracted long before you come to a complete stop.

Here is what I have done and/or how it is behaving:
The wing button stays lit.
Holding the button for 3 seconds causes the light to go out momentarily but it then come back on.
On the cluster display it shows the wing up and in green (makes sense since it is up)
In the Menu settings, deactivating the wing and re-activating it does notwork.
re-initializing the settings does not help either.
No errors appear anywhere in the car/displays.

These are essentially the things the dealer did as well before tacking it back to the tech. They then ran a diagnostics and said that there is an active fault code (did not tell me which one) leading them to believe it is either the switch or the motor. However, since this is the first RC-F they have had with an issue they said there was a certain field technician that would need to come look at the car and guide them on next steps. Since it is the holiday we have tentatively set an appointment for the week of the 5th.

Until then it's still in the up position which is not horrible but it does certainly bug me that with only 600 miles on the clock I've already encountered an issue.

I will update everyone as soon as I learn more.
I am also having the same issue with my wing.. it stays up sometimes. If you come to a stop / are parked (with the wing up)... and manually attempt to retract the wing with the button, it will try to retract the wing twice, and maybe make some noise from the trunk as if it's servo motors are under high load during the initial retraction operation. If the wing isn't able to go down after the two attempts, it just 'gives up' and keeps it at the open position. My theory is that the motor has lost lubrication because the servo sensors are detecting a higher-than-normal load.

Also, here are my other issues that I've been having (im at 7000 KM, and will be going in for servicing soon to have them look at these):

- Siri Eyes Free - (activated by holding the call button on the steering wheel). Subsequent prompts from the iPhone are not heard through the car's Bluetooth.

- Seat Heaters are not delivering enough heat at the max setting

- Breaks Squeak...still (Insert Brake shims??)

- Trunk release springs too tight (trunk opens violently)

- Rear wing retraction issue (obvious, as above)

- Navigation Screen Flashes (i just keep the NAV display off)
- Kind of upset that they aren't looking to implement CarPlay integration and are still sticking to their crappy slow as$ interface - especially in a $100K car. Are we living in the 21st century or what? (Search for yourself: https://www.google.com/search?q=Toyo...utf-8&oe=utf-8)

- Some rattling from my sunroof area (Yess...I didnt get the TVD package because they couldn't keep the sunroof - and delete only the carbon fiber roof)
Old 02-25-15, 03:55 PM
followtheF
Rookie

Originally Posted by 3IS350Guy

- Navigation Screen Flashes (i just keep the NAV display off)
How do you know what's enough heat? The ones in my GTI will almost burn your legs after 5 minutes on high, whereas the ones in my RCF are more of a subtle warmth. I was assuming this was just a design thing (seeing as I don't actually want them hot enough to burn me), but maybe that's not the case?

For the nav flashing, what exactly do you mean? I have noticed that when driving under a bridge on a sunny day, the screen will temporarily dim and then rebrighten as I'm assuming the car goes into a night display mode and then back to day. Is that what you're talking about?
Old 02-26-15, 12:31 PM
MrJeager
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by followtheF
How do you know what's enough heat? The ones in my GTI will almost burn your legs after 5 minutes on high, whereas the ones in my RCF are more of a subtle warmth. I was assuming this was just a design thing (seeing as I don't actually want them hot enough to burn me), but maybe that's not the case?

For the nav flashing, what exactly do you mean? I have noticed that when driving under a bridge on a sunny day, the screen will temporarily dim and then rebrighten as I'm assuming the car goes into a night display mode and then back to day. Is that what you're talking about?
To address the first point, the maximum temperature of the seat is the issue - its just not high enough. I sat in my gf's jetta, the seat heat was set to "2" and i was able to comfortably heat my as$ within 2 minutes in the winter from a cold start...and... keep it on for the remainder of the 30-45 minute drive with no feeling that I was being roasted (also, the range was from 0 to 5...FIVE! 5 = LAVA...probably..). I'd just like it to be hotter. To your point, my old 2015 IS 350 had a timer feature to pull the heat down a level as time passed - this would be nice if it gets too hot for people. Don't know if we have the same feature.

Nav Flashing...it happens when the highway exit info "pop out" shows up (on the right side of the nav screen) and then once passed, the popup causes the screen to refresh with a white background. I just wish I could turn off that "Highway Exit Info" popup feature.
Old 02-26-15, 01:04 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

there have been lawsuits of people getting burns from sitting on heated seats for extended periods of time. Mainly people that had a condition that had condition of reduced sensation in lower extremities. Not sure if this is directly due to it, but its a theory

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...burns/1842845/
Old 02-26-15, 01:43 PM
followtheF
Rookie

To address the first point, the maximum temperature of the seat is the issue - its just not high enough. I sat in my gf's jetta, the seat heat was set to "2" and i was able to comfortably heat my as$ within 2 minutes in the winter from a cold start...and... keep it on for the remainder of the 30-45 minute drive with no feeling that I was being roasted (also, the range was from 0 to 5...FIVE! 5 = LAVA...probably..). I'd just like it to be hotter. To your point, my old 2015 IS 350 had a timer feature to pull the heat down a level as time passed - this would be nice if it gets too hot for people. Don't know if we have the same feature.
I guess Lexus doesn't believe in making serious as$-toasters like VW does! Still wondering if the low seat heat is by design, or if something is wrong. My guess is Lexus will just say it's working like it's supposed to, but let me know what you find out if you ask the dealer.
Old 02-26-15, 04:20 PM
HoustonTX
Driver School Candidate

Re: the seat heater.....Just go to a dealer and sit in some others to compare....
Old 03-19-15, 02:53 PM
chilipalm
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my wing stopped working too with less than 1400 miles on it. Took it into the dealer, and the dealer has to confer with Lexus for instructions on what to do with this. This is what was written into my service report when I picked it up:

"remove wing assembly and manually close the rear wing. perform initialization and test wing operation using scan tool. operation returned to normal at this time. Lexus is aware of the problem and does not have a fix at this time. wing may get stuck again if the operation exceeds 250-500 times."

Yep, this problem can happen again with no long term fix. I guess that Lexus reliability doesn't carry over to the active rear wing. You would think in testing the prototypes, they would have tested the wing operation more than 500 times.
Old 03-19-15, 05:23 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wing has functioned properly for the first week of ownership. And now that I've said that, I can comment on the seat heater without my post being censored as "off topic":

The seat heaters on my RS5 and SQ5 Audis have another gear beyond the RC F. But this higher setting is limited to 30 seconds before it reverts to the next lowest setting. So apparently the German lawyers were mollified by this and the Japanese were not. I agree that the seat heater in the RC F could be hotter.
Old 03-19-15, 05:26 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus Master Tech here,
The rear wing sticking is a known issue, and should be addressed shortly by a TSB. Until then, dealers are told to uninstall the wing, bring it to the rest position and re-initialized the system. Hopefully an updated part will be coming out soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by NotADood:
MrOrph (09-20-19), theblade (12-30-17)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Active Wing Stuck / Not Functioning