RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Tire Comparison Between SS & PS A/S3

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 03:00 PM
jeffw12
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire Comparison Between SS & PS A/S3

Now that I've had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s on the car for a few days in both cold and moderate temps, I wanted to write a quick review for those thinking about making the switch to all-seasons like I did.

Super Sports (Stock)- obviously, in the warm weather these tires are some of the best handling tires in the world, as street tires go. They are relatively quiet, the ride is firm but not harsh, noise is fairly low, and they are very precise. If I lived in the south or out west these tires would be the standard and there would be no reason to replace them.
But I don't live in either of those regions, and the reality is winter and cold temps. As a reference point, the other morning it was 26 degrees and I pulled out go my garage and warmed up the car. When I got into the car and drove away, the rear end slipped 3 times before the end of my street and the traction control was getting its legs stretched. I can tell you from past experience, the stock Super Sports are downright dangerous when the temp is below 40 degrees and they are suicidal below freezing. It doesn't matter how skilled of a driver you think you are, the tires get NO traction below 40 degrees. Michelin will tell you that, Lexus will tell you that, in fact every sports car manufacturer that puts "Summer" tires on the cars standard will tell you that. I'm actually surprised Lexus didn't offer an all-season option with the car.

Pilot Sport A/S3 - from an aesthetic standpoint, these tires look just as aggressive and "OEM" as the stock tires. The tread pattern is really aggressive.
From a ride comfort standpoint, the A/S3 is a little noisier than the SuperSports, the ride is not quite as supple, but the level of grip, traction, feedback, feel, and steering response are on par with the Super Sports (In fact, they exceed the PZero Pirelli's I had on my RS5). Supposedly, treadwear will be substantially better than the stock tires as well. The only negative is that they do ride slightly stiffer and are a bit more noisy, but nothing severe or deal breaker level of difference.

I had a long discussion with a friend of mine who owns a tire shop and handles all sorts of exotics and sports cars. He was very clear, if you will be driving in snow, get Blizzaks or Ice-X. If you will be driving in light wintery precip and consistently cold temps, but not deep snow, get all-seasons. If you don't change out your summer tires you are endangering yourself, passengers, and other cars because you will have limited traction, handling, and braking on the stock Super Sports.

I chose the All-Seasons because I will never drive this car in deep snow. I am going to just keep them on year round because I will not be tracking this car anyway and the level of performance with the A/S3s far exceeds my abilities anyway.

For those in areas where winter is a reality, please change tires if you plan on driving the car in the winter.
Old 12-08-14, 03:22 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Thanks for the review and comparison. I've heard nothing but good things with the A/S3s. Glad to hear that they can still be fun tires.
Old 12-09-14, 10:09 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have A/S3 on my S4... in Houston. Cold weather here means a cold front came through and dropped a lot of rain, so when it's cold it's nearly always wet, which is not an ideal situation for summer tires and my 45 mile morning commute.

I find these tires to be phenomenal. They outperform the Pirelli summer tires I had on prior. I got them for the treadwear (I drive ~20,000 miles/year), with nearly no sacrifice in performance. I think the only tire that's truly better performing is the Pilot Super Sport, but of course you have the trade off of less tire life.
Old 12-09-14, 12:42 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffw12
Now that I've had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s on the car for a few days in both cold and moderate temps, I wanted to write a quick review for those thinking about making the switch to all-seasons like I did.

Super Sports (Stock)- obviously, in the warm weather these tires are some of the best handling tires in the world, as street tires go. They are relatively quiet, the ride is firm but not harsh, noise is fairly low, and they are very precise. If I lived in the south or out west these tires would be the standard and there would be no reason to replace them.
But I don't live in either of those regions, and the reality is winter and cold temps. As a reference point, the other morning it was 26 degrees and I pulled out go my garage and warmed up the car. When I got into the car and drove away, the rear end slipped 3 times before the end of my street and the traction control was getting its legs stretched. I can tell you from past experience, the stock Super Sports are downright dangerous when the temp is below 40 degrees and they are suicidal below freezing. It doesn't matter how skilled of a driver you think you are, the tires get NO traction below 40 degrees. Michelin will tell you that, Lexus will tell you that, in fact every sports car manufacturer that puts "Summer" tires on the cars standard will tell you that. I'm actually surprised Lexus didn't offer an all-season option with the car.

Pilot Sport A/S3 - from an aesthetic standpoint, these tires look just as aggressive and "OEM" as the stock tires. The tread pattern is really aggressive.
From a ride comfort standpoint, the A/S3 is a little noisier than the SuperSports, the ride is not quite as supple, but the level of grip, traction, feedback, feel, and steering response are on par with the Super Sports (In fact, they exceed the PZero Pirelli's I had on my RS5). Supposedly, treadwear will be substantially better than the stock tires as well. The only negative is that they do ride slightly stiffer and are a bit more noisy, but nothing severe or deal breaker level of difference.

I had a long discussion with a friend of mine who owns a tire shop and handles all sorts of exotics and sports cars. He was very clear, if you will be driving in snow, get Blizzaks or Ice-X. If you will be driving in light wintery precip and consistently cold temps, but not deep snow, get all-seasons. If you don't change out your summer tires you are endangering yourself, passengers, and other cars because you will have limited traction, handling, and braking on the stock Super Sports.

I chose the All-Seasons because I will never drive this car in deep snow. I am going to just keep them on year round because I will not be tracking this car anyway and the level of performance with the A/S3s far exceeds my abilities anyway.

For those in areas where winter is a reality, please change tires if you plan on driving the car in the winter.
^^ I couldn't have said it better myself.. My CTS-V came with the Super Sports from the factory and they were great in warm weather and handled incredible.

The car doesn't see wet weather of any kind but in the cold below 40 it was scary, below 32 they were too dangerous. The slightest bit of throttle would cause the rear to kick out, and believe me with 556HP I was very careful

With only 2,800 miles on them and after a few close calls I put on a set of A/S 3's last winter and what a difference. They grab so much better and IMO the ride is smoother and quieter than my OEM Super Sports were.
Old 12-12-14, 07:26 AM
jeffw12
Driver School Candidate

I love these tires more and more each day.

Grip is amazing.
Old 12-12-14, 02:56 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for taking your time and posting it! I recently purchased PS A/S 3 but have not yet installed them. Here in CA the weather still allows us to have summer tires on. As far as the noise, you are not the only person who noticed it. I heard that for A/S tires PS A/S 3 has a noise level is that is a bit excessive. But other attributes (wet and dry transaction, braking, precision) far exceed of those the competition has. Thanks again jeffw12!
Old 12-13-14, 05:14 AM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for your review and thoughts. I had these tires on my IS300 and just installed them on my IS350 F-Sport to replace the crappy Bridgestone summers - what a difference!
Old 12-13-14, 08:09 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Im surprised that Lexus does not have an all weather tire also for this car, maybe none of the all seasons available can take what this car can give it in warm weather driving. I will guarantee you someone in cold weather driving will forget about the summer tires and pile the car up in an accident somewhere. Hopefully not but I can see it happening. I don't know if the TC will help enough to prevent it from happening. Shame to buy a car for $70,000 to $85,000 and the first thing you need to do is spend many 100s for tires.

Old 12-23-14, 08:27 AM
waynesreef
Rookie

Thanks for your detailed review, I took your advise and got the tires switched to A/S 3 all season yesterday. I also liked the A/S 3, it rides better.

Old 12-24-14, 08:30 AM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you for this post. I watched a few videos about the AS3 and a few vids of what happens to summer tires in low temps and snow.
I went out this morning and got the AS3s installed.