RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F Test Drive on the Back Roads--Much More than the IS F

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-14, 02:22 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
If I had a modded 2012 ISF, I'd probably be hard pressed to trade it in for a 2015 RCF.
This is actually a great way to see it. Once you've modded the ISF to come close to RCF numbers, you've had to do intake, headers and exhaust. The car is quite loud. The suspension is still a bit stiff. But RCF gives you all that performance right off the bat without having to sacrifice any comfort or cabin noise.

If you are after pure numbers, then the value proposition becomes a bit more strained.
Old 11-30-14, 03:50 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
I suggest replacing "exact same" with "substantially improved." I admire IS F owners who are loyal to the brand and their cars, but the facts are coming out.

My statements are grounded in comparative drives, facts and personal experience:

Track Comparison: IS F and RC F
http://www.torquenews.com/1083/track...lexus-has-come

0-60 Acceleration:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...the-year-award

The RC F ran a 3.9 for Road & Track's driver in the PCOTY testing. Testing for the 2014 IS F was no doubt the least impressive for all of its years coming in at 4.6-4.8 0-60. The 2008 at BEST ran a 4.2 with 4.4 as an average. The RC F is much faster off the line.

Standing Quarter Mile Times:
Around 12.9-13.1 for the IS F and a 12.5 for the RC F.

O-100 Times:
IS F-10.7; RC F 9.7

0-150 Times:
IS F-29.3 ; RC F 24.8

It only takes a little imagination to see how a drag race would go. The RC F has already documented gains in performance. Don't get me wrong. The IS F is still a great choice over the competition.

Undeniably--stock for stock--the RC F is a leap forward for the F line. The car performs at a significantly improved level.

Suggestion: Log time in an IS F, if possible, then go test drive the RC F. You'll become a believer.
I love the RC F and what it brings. Howerver, I don't like how you are putting only the slowest possible quarter mile time for the ISF to show how much faster the RC F. RCF straight line speed isn't all impressive, how it goes around the corner is! Plus how much more civil and comfortable it is vs the ISF. You don't have to play with the numbers of both car to justify your decision on buying the RCF. ISF fastest stock time has been 12.4 through the quarter mile. I believe one member here California was able to get his car to 12.3 at the track. If you are going to post the worst possible time for the ISF, you gotta do the same for the RC F too. I love both cars don't get me wrong.
Old 11-30-14, 04:13 PM
WebSoCal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mk4sup_isf
i love the rc f and what it brings. Howerver, i don't like how you are putting only the slowest possible quarter mile time for the isf to show how much faster the rc f. Rcf straight line speed isn't all impressive, how it goes around the corner is! Plus how much more civil and comfortable it is vs the isf. You don't have to play with the numbers of both car to justify your decision on buying the rcf. Isf fastest stock time has been 12.4 through the quarter mile. I believe one member here california was able to get his car to 12.3 at the track. If you are going to post the worst possible time for the isf, you gotta do the same for the rc f too. I love both cars don't get me wrong.

this ^^^^^^^
Old 11-30-14, 04:27 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
I love the RC F and what it brings. Howerver, I don't like how you are putting only the slowest possible quarter mile time for the ISF to show how much faster the RC F. RCF straight line speed isn't all impressive, how it goes around the corner is! Plus how much more civil and comfortable it is vs the ISF. You don't have to play with the numbers of both car to justify your decision on buying the RCF. ISF fastest stock time has been 12.4 through the quarter mile. I believe one member here California was able to get his car to 12.3 at the track. If you are going to post the worst possible time for the ISF, you gotta do the same for the RC F too. I love both cars don't get me wrong.
Hey, I am an IS F owner and enthusiast.. And I am not playing with anything here. I believe the times for the RC F are conservative.

The 3.9 for the RC F and the 4.2 for the IS F are great times. They are also realistic times.

The quarter mile time for the RC F will obviously be much better than the manufacturer's estimated 12.5. We know how Lexus works here, and we know much of the outcome is in the driver's ability.

Road & Track just published the following comparative times for their "Motown Mile." The RC F ran the course in 56.08 and came in 19th among an impressive stable of 44 cars. The Lexus LFA ran it in 55.48!

I expect to see a 3.8 in the RC-F. It IS much faster than my 2012 ISF... My simple point.

The new Corvette Z51 came in at 54.80. The GT-R at 53.76; the Viper at 54.55; the Audi R8 V10 at 55.18; The Cayman s at 56.73; The M4 at 57.47; the Porsche 911 Carrera S at 55.03; the Shelby GT500 at 56.19, the Audi RS5 at 56.83, and the Hellcat at 56.37. This can be viewed as a measure of a car as a track weapon but also shows how adaptable, confidence inspiring and fast the car is in the real world.

Straight line speed entered substantially into the final numbers here. The RCF beat a lot of awesome machines and came close to the new Vette.

I love both cars too. But, the facts are the facts. Stock for stock, it will crush my current car on the track and run away on an open straight run. In comparison to other top machines, it holds its own extremely well.

Last edited by ISF001; 12-02-14 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-30-14, 04:36 PM
tspoon
Driver School Candidate

This will be my first Lexus, if and when it ever gets here.

The IS is very nice and sounds like the RCF is a Tad more refined.

I think it boils down to the driver and track at this point. It is almost
splitting hairs, so let's just enjoy the cars for what they are worth.
Old 11-30-14, 06:35 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's inevitable that Lexus (and all other manufacturers for that matter) are going to come out with more refined, easy-to-drive cars that are less hooligan and more super GT. It's actually possible now to have a comfortable daily driver that turns in respectable track times without threatening to kill you. My Mom could comfortably drive the 911 GT3 or RCF and never know what it's capable of.
Old 12-01-14, 04:06 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NewSpace
It's inevitable that Lexus (and all other manufacturers for that matter) are going to come out with more refined, easy-to-drive cars that are less hooligan and more super GT. It's actually possible now to have a comfortable daily driver that turns in respectable track times without threatening to kill you. My Mom could comfortably drive the 911 GT3 or RCF and never know what it's capable of.
So long as Mom stays below 3,500 rpm.

My experience is that the RC F is a much more refined machine with a little less of the bad boy personality. Yet don't misconstrue what I am saying: it's a rocket in the right driver's hands.
Old 12-01-14, 06:48 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieISF
Sorry to hijack your thread but I actually managed to get a test drive yesterday too!!!
Thanks for your review. Very unbiased, honest and reality based. Much appreciated.
Old 12-01-14, 08:41 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

1. The stock IS F on a great day can run a 4.2...that's it. The RC F will out run the IS F in both a 0-60, quarter mile, and one mile run with ease. The IS F will never break the 4 second barrier--there is just no way.
I was probably lucky and had perfect conditions, but I nabbed a 4.1 with my IS F with only a Joe-Z intake.
Old 12-01-14, 08:48 AM
TravyTrav
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Thanks for your review. Very unbiased, honest and reality based. Much appreciated.
Those are the best reviews, not that biased, "perfect-car-because-I-bought-it" crap.
Old 12-01-14, 09:36 AM
kamiraa
Driver School Candidate

If the RCF is anything like the ISF 5.0, I think this car is going to respond VERY well to headers and an exhaust.

Pushing the crank above 500hp will make this car even more fun!
Old 12-01-14, 09:58 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kamiraa
If the RCF is anything like the ISF 5.0, I think this car is going to respond VERY well to headers and an exhaust.

Rumor has it that this engine can be race tuned to 540 HP.
Old 12-02-14, 01:36 PM
suprasupra
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kamiraa

If they would have kept the weight in the 3700-3800 lb range even better.
Old 12-02-14, 04:02 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by suprasupra
If they would have kept the weight in the 3700-3800 lb range even better.
You can't do that and give luxury junkies like me what we want.

Apparently, it is not hindering orders. Lexus has placed record orders on this car--many more than they ever expected.
Old 12-02-14, 08:18 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't do that and give luxury junkies like me what we want.

Apparently, it is not hindering orders. Lexus has placed record orders on this car--many more than they ever expected.
what 'record'? in japan? because they also only planned to sale 30/month. im not sure those were high expectations...

Last edited by DrRick; 12-02-14 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: RC F Test Drive on the Back Roads--Much More than the IS F