Looking for opinions/advice on new RC F

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-14, 11:39 AM
NickZ
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for opinions/advice on new RC F

Hello,

I have been following the RC F for a while now, and attended the Ride and Drive event not too long ago. I was very impressed with the RC F as well as the M4 and test drove the RS 5 a few weeks ago. I am a bit more conservative in vehicle purchases in that I am not chasing a few tenths of a second here and there, and am deathly afraid of the long term reliability issues with Audi and BMW vehicles. I do not lease, so my focus is always on the long term.

I am heading out to two dealerships on Saturday to start discussions on the purchase of an RC F and have pretty much settled on USB 2.0 with the Premium Package, Nav with ML sound, leather, and the 20 spoke wheels.

I am struggling with the Performance Package and the $5500 cost as I am interested to hear what you guys think the TVD will bring in every day driving. I will never take the RC F to the track, and for anyone who knows what Chicago traffic is like, I'll be spending a ton of time sitting in it. I also understand that the Performance Pack will actually increase the weight a bit even with the CF roof and wing.

Thoughts?
Old 11-13-14, 11:52 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing to think about, why buy something you're never going to use. But that applies to the RC F in general when the rest of your description is applied. if you're never going to track it and will be in traffic, then what's the point of getting this vehicle at all? Conservatism seems to not be in play.
Old 11-13-14, 11:58 AM
NickZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Nothing to think about, why buy something you're never going to use. But that applies to the RC F in general when the rest of your description is applied. if you're never going to track it and will be in traffic, then what's the point of getting this vehicle at all? Conservatism seems to not be in play.
Point taken, but I meant that in the sense that I err on the side of caution when it comes to reliability and dealer experience I haven't purchased a German or American made vehicle in years after some pretty poor experiences with them.

It's a fantastic vehicle, and there will be plenty of opportunities to enjoy most of what it is capable of, I didn't think you would take my statement of sitting in traffic as literally being all of the time
Old 11-13-14, 12:04 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol i'm in NYC, so have no other way to consider it...

But i'd say skip the tvd and it's main use is going to be on the train. Not going to provide much benefit to you at the price you're going to pay for it.
Old 11-13-14, 12:46 PM
NickZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
lol i'm in NYC, so have no other way to consider it...

But i'd say skip the tvd and it's main use is going to be on the train. Not going to provide much benefit to you at the price you're going to pay for it.
I got a good laugh and appreciate your response. I should have paid more attention to your location in your signature, I would have picked up where you're coming from

That's the struggle for me, it just doesn't make sense to drop that kind of cash on something that I probably would never use, and the car I drove at the Ride and Drive event didn't have TVD and was capable of way more that I will ever be able to push it on the road.
Old 11-13-14, 01:58 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get the TVD as a stand alone option right now for a limited time. It's $1750.

That said, I'm not getting it. I'm never going to the track so the limited-slip diff will be enough.
Old 11-13-14, 02:12 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TVD came as an option with my car and I'm probably not going to track the car. But I can tell you that there is a big difference with it on and going around some twistie roads... the car really gripped and felt planted as if it was anticipated you wanting to go faster. Its a nice thing to have but I really dont need it...
Old 11-13-14, 02:15 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a very cool feature, and I really debated on whether to order. It's especially tempting if you can get it a la carte. I opted to stick with regular Torsen LSD because of the very few times I plan to track it.
Old 11-13-14, 03:42 PM
NickZ
Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I did see the TVD become a standalone option, but that price pays for some of the other options, and as some of you mentioned since I won't take it to a track I guess it's kind of pointless.

It's definitely amazing technology though, and probably a big part of why the RC F has performed admirably on the track considering the weight it's pulling around.
Old 11-13-14, 05:53 PM
NickZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SexyLexus
TVD came as an option with my car and I'm probably not going to track the car. But I can tell you that there is a big difference with it on and going around some twistie roads... the car really gripped and felt planted as if it was anticipated you wanting to go faster. Its a nice thing to have but I really dont need it...
Congratulations on your new RC F! I am hoping you are willing to share, was there any wiggle room at all during your negotiations with the dealership on the purchase? I am not assuming there will be a ton of room to negotiate, especially with the vehicle being so new, but just looking to arm myself with some information before I visit the dealerships on Saturday.
Old 11-13-14, 07:42 PM
kjam23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NickZ
Congratulations on your new RC F! I am hoping you are willing to share, was there any wiggle room at all during your negotiations with the dealership on the purchase? I am not assuming there will be a ton of room to negotiate, especially with the vehicle being so new, but just looking to arm myself with some information before I visit the dealerships on Saturday.
I was offered $500 off of MSRP by one dealership in town. This car is in high demand, I doubt any dealer will give any break off of MSRP....unless you own several Lexus vehicles and can convince them that your continued loyalty is worth a small price break.
Old 11-13-14, 08:46 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the price really depends on your relationship with the dealer, well in my case it did. The RCF was my 4th Lexus, car #6 I purchased from the dealership. So I guess that puts me in a preferred customer bracket lol

Retail/Sticker Price: $77,058.00
Destination and handling fee: $875.00
Overall: $77,933.00 Also included Registration and Tint

MSRP off of Lexususa.com with my options came to about: $ 73,775.00 including Dest but not including Registration or tint.

I can't share with you exactly how much I paid, but the my salesman did say if others are interested to say I paid $71,995 My salesman did give up some of his cut to help me out. Hope this helps...

Last edited by aWorkOfArt; 11-13-14 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 06:26 AM
NickZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SexyLexus
Well the price really depends on your relationship with the dealer, well in my case it did. The RCF was my 4th Lexus, car #6 I purchased from the dealership. So I guess that puts me in a preferred customer bracket lol

Retail/Sticker Price: $77,058.00
Destination and handling fee: $875.00
Overall: $77,933.00 Also included Registration and Tint

MSRP off of Lexususa.com with my options came to about: $ 73,775.00 including Dest but not including Registration or tint.

I can't share with you exactly how much I paid, but the my salesman did say if others are interested to say I paid $71,995 My salesman did give up some of his cut to help me out. Hope this helps...
That's a pretty sweet deal, I am hearing the same thing that a forum member above posted, $500 is about the max anyone wants to deal on the RC F right now. I did however see something interesting on Truecar.com last night. When I plugged in my options, they claim there is a dealer about 50 miles away from me who will sell the car for 1,700 below list which could work out to a pretty good deal if it is indeed true.
Old 11-14-14, 06:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you will never take it to the track, then dont get a TVD. The Torsen LSD in there will be plenty. TVD also adds 50-70# of weight from what I heard.
Old 11-14-14, 07:14 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

These cars are going for MSRP. I don't believe in unicorns

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions/advice on new RC F