RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

New Car Prep

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-14, 06:56 PM
boriii
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Car Prep

Anyone have bad experience with dealers preping the car? Do Lexus dealers have professional detailers prep their new cars?
Old 11-08-14, 07:00 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boriii
Anyone have bad experience with dealers preping the car? Do Lexus dealers have professional detailers prep their new cars?
No. Unless its a used vehicle an in bad shape, the dealer may send it out to a dollup shop, otjer than they everything done in house. They even do window tint in house to save $
Old 11-08-14, 07:04 PM
boriii
Rookie

Originally Posted by FastTags
No. Unless its a used vehicle an in bad shape, the dealer may send it out to a dollup shop, otjer than they everything done in house. They even do window tint in house to save $
They should be good about not putting any swirl marks on a new car though, right?
Old 11-08-14, 07:18 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

They should be good about not putting any swirl marks on a new car though, right?
They dont buff new cars. Only used. New cars get washed and thats it. There is jothing else to clean
Old 11-08-14, 07:34 PM
boriii
Rookie

Originally Posted by FastTags
They dont buff new cars. Only used. New cars get washed and thats it. There is jothing else to clean
Oh I just meant those swirls you get from maybe drying with a normal towel or something. Maybe I'm just thinking too much. I drive a black car at the moment so they can really be a pain in the *** .
Old 11-08-14, 08:34 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Ask the dealer not to wash the car.

It is the poor washing technique that puts swirls on the car. I usually help people polish their car afterwards because they didn't listen to me.
Old 11-08-14, 09:17 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zelfiris
Ask the dealer not to wash the car.

It is the poor washing technique that puts swirls on the car. I usually help people polish their car afterwards because they didn't listen to me.
^^ I'm researching aftermarket treatments like Opticoat, Xpel, cQuartz, etc. and have heard this same recommendation. Do NOT let the dealer wash your car.

In some cases the dealer will go so far as to have you sign a waiver, but you can request that they don't prep the car at all. If you've ever seen how they do wash and dry, you'll understand how even once can mess up your new paint job.

PS. I'm looking at using these guys for Opticoat: http://www.yelp.com/biz/orinda-auto-detail-orinda
Anybody in the bay area know them?
Old 11-10-14, 05:08 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't catch the dealer on time to tell not to wash the car... so I guess I'll be washing, claying, polishing, and waxing in the morning
Old 11-14-14, 10:33 PM
boriii
Rookie

The dealer offered something called cilajet... Anyone have any experience with it?
Old 11-14-14, 11:43 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

The dealer offered something called cilajet... Anyone have any experience with it?
Congrats on the car! Never heard of cilajet, but folks on Tesla forums swear by Opticoat Pro. The one thing you should do is use a professional detailer, and definitely not the dealer. Please post pics!
Old 11-14-14, 11:46 PM
smomin23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want opti coat or modesta. I have an obsidian GSF so trust me I understand your fear of swirls. But either of these will protect your car for years and add a phenomenal amount of gloss. Of course it's not invincible but it's pretty damn good
Old 11-15-14, 09:31 AM
boriii
Rookie

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Congrats on the car! Never heard of cilajet, but folks on Tesla forums swear by Opticoat Pro. The one thing you should do is use a professional detailer, and definitely not the dealer. Please post pics!
A few pics for now. These pictures do not do the car justice. After seeing it in person, its like another car. I was almost speechless when I saw it in person. The car so far, it's very sturdy and well built. Not even a little creak or rattle whatsoever. You can really hear the exhaust as its automatically downshifting when slowing down.

Old 11-15-14, 11:05 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

A few pics for now. These pictures do not do the car justice. After seeing it in person, its like another car. I was almost speechless when I saw it in person. The car so far, it's very sturdy and well built. Not even a little creak or rattle whatsoever. You can really hear the exhaust as its automatically downshifting when slowing down.

Truly beautiful. I think the NGP may just be the best color. I'm jealous.
Old 11-15-14, 11:25 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

How is the ride quality on LA freeways?
Old 11-15-14, 04:08 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Very nice ...enjoy the new machine!

Quick Reply: New Car Prep