RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

License plate on RC F spindle grill?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 04:48 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if you reread toystry's post, you will see that he's getting a car in VA that already has the plates on, and he's asking how it's done. hence my answer
Yep, you nailed it......showed up today and the license plate was mounted (part of the PDI process). I had them remove it and there are indeed two holes in the bumper now. It's pretty damn hard to see though so I'm not sweating it but it would have been nice to NOT have holes in my bumper since I am a Florida resident with FL tags. Such is life......I'll live though.
Old 08-29-15, 05:17 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fysisist
Statistically, the odds actually don't increase each day since each day is a new roll of the dice. But it sure feels like the long arm of the law is gonna' reach out and touch you sooner or later. You never know if/when some higher up in PD is gonna' wake up one morning and say to themself, "... we really need to crack down on these scoff-laws without front plates...". It could happen.
Seems like there are more law enforcement people checking for plates these days, even when parked on public streets. I recently traded in a 2012 LS460 Sport. When I came to pick it up at the dealership back in 2011, it had holes in the front bumper for the plates. I said I would not take the car until the bumper was removed and repaired to cover the holes. They did that at no cost to me. No front plates goes back to my first Olds 442 back in 1969. Longest without was the 1985 Supra, 14 years.
Old 08-29-15, 10:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by toystry
Yep, you nailed it......showed up today and the license plate was mounted (part of the PDI process). I had them remove it and there are indeed two holes in the bumper now. It's pretty damn hard to see though so I'm not sweating it but it would have been nice to NOT have holes in my bumper since I am a Florida resident with FL tags. Such is life......I'll live though.
yeah the ones on the rcf is not too bad given how it's blended into the mesh grille
Old 08-30-15, 03:08 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by darinmg
I've been told that they are required because they give a nice flat surface for radar reflection.
That's correct. But not only the flat surface, but the MATERIAL on that surface. You can be picked up by radar by over 2 miles with a front license plate. And less than 1 without, depending on frontal area and headlight design (yes, headlight reflectors are what reflect radar the best after front plate). With the tiny RC-F LED headlamps, I wouldn't be surprised it's just half a mile. At any rate, the main reason I don't put front plates is because they just look like crap (especially in sports cars), AND most require drilling bumper. I haven't put front plates in any of my 4 cars for over 3 decades, and have never been ticketed for that. The good news is you can temporarily install it on the RC-F in minutes, since it already has the plastic (and black at that) screw holders in place. Look for them under the 'L'; they're there on my car.