RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F vs GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 09:13 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Regardless of what you think, majority of the real world races happening from a rolling start. None of the hot laps are done from a standing start. Almost all of them start from a flying start. Even the timed Nurburgring laps start with a flying lap.

GTR in a straight, might be a great 0 - 60 mph car with the AWD traction, but the acceleration rate falls rapidly once it gets past 70 mph. That is what those roll races (and its relatively weak trap speed) demonstrate.

My whole point was, Nissan GTR sales have been dismal at best despite aggressive updates every year yet, people choose to buy a Stingray or Porsche 911 for the same price because people writing the cheques choose to take driving excitement over the 0-60 mph bragging rights.
I've actually driven my GTR to the track, at the track, and back home without changing tires. The GTR is a VERY capable DD car.
Your comments are VERY Biased and not informative at all!

Last edited by Celsius; 10-14-14 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-12-14, 09:20 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Celsius
and how many GTR's have you had? Your comments make you sound like a child, and an ignorant one at that!
How many performance cars have you actually owned? I've had 3 GTR's, had a few lexus' (LS430, IS350, and IS-Fsport), had a few Rx7's, etc.
I've actually driven my GTR to the track, at the track, and back home without changing tires. The GTR is a VERY capable DD car.

back in 2010, ran my 2009 GTR @ WoodBurn. I was one of the first E85 GTR's in Oregon and ran a 10.8 @ 129 that day.
There is no need to get insulting here. If you cannot talk like an adult then I would recommend you go argue with someone else.

What I wrote were common impressions echoed by most. It is very well known by majority that the GTR is a difficult car to daily drive. The transmission is rather clunky (I could quote many sources. I am sure you know it very well), ride is harsh and very loud. The interior I have sat inside just this year, belongs in a $40K car. Not a $105K car. I have seen a few members on this board that traded in their GTR for IS-Fs because they wanted a better daily driver and luxury by giving up some performance.

RC-F and GTR are not direct competitors. GTR is a competitor of the Z06, Stingray, Porsche 911 etc. RC-F competes with the M4, C63, RS5 etc. Compared to the RC-F, GTR is just in a different league when it comes to performance and handling, but RC-F takes the cake when it comes to luxury, comfort and ease of daily driving.

It is also a fact I wrote that Nissan GTR sales are dismal as it was one of the 10 slowest selling cars in 2013 (you need sources for this, if you are not informed on this?) and despite aggressive updates every year, the Nissan GTR Sales have dropped over 70% since it's 2009 model year debut. That is also a 100% fact. I see always people on the internet bragging about numbers and bargain, but people writing the cheques say something else.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-12-14 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 10:20 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both cars are amazing machines. For the GT-R, I only really liked the 2012+ models. I rarely drive mine now, but I did daily it for the first 6 mos of owning it. RC F I hope will be a more practical luxury coupe to ride around. I had an IS F prior to trading in for the 2012 GT-R back when it came out, love that F too but just wanted to try something different at the time.
Old 10-12-14, 10:34 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

and how many GTR's have you had? Your comments make you sound like a child, and an ignorant one at that!
How many performance cars have you actually owned? I've had 3 GTR's, had a few lexus' (LS430, IS350, and IS-Fsport), had a few Rx7's, etc.

back in 2010, ran my 2009 GTR @ WoodBurn. I was one of the first E85 GTR's in Oregon and ran a 10.8 @ 129 that day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBZ7FjcAyzY

couple of laps @ PIR using the same tires I drove to the track with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjW72bLwfRY
Yeah, usually haters are keyboard nerds who have never owned much less driven the car. Usually the ignorance comes from their loyalty/fanboism to a competing product. Similar to the GT-R, the RC-F will have haters and fanboys as well. Back on topic..RC-F should be a better DD than the GT-R but the latter will destroy the former.
Old 10-12-14, 11:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

LOL It is comical to see the pout and ridiculous allegations in this thread of bias etc. It is about giving people the 100% fact. People who are curious deserve to know all sides of the story. Not just the rosy pictures.The notion that you completely deny the facts and act bitterly makes you what?

The RC-F gets dogged for its weight, lack of low end torque, lack of dual clutch etc. all day by these same members, but when it came to Nissan GTR weak points, it becomes all about "haters and fanbois"? I don't get it.

That is a fact, no matter how much you try and deny it, the Nissan GTR is not a great daily driver. If it were, so many people would not be saying that. That is the most commonly echoed impressions. Certainly, not compared to an RC-F. The interior quality is also subpar and I have sat inside a Nissan GTR. It has a $40K interior with a $100K price tag.

A member asked why such huge discounts were being given and the answer was simple, sales have been down and they have to move inventory. That is the reality.

Apparently, the GTR supporters here want to have their cake and eat it too.

Let me guess, all of the following is hater propaganda as well.

A 545-hp twin-turbo V-6 sends its power through all four wheels. Easy to drive fast, the GT-R makes the average driver feel like a hero. Aside from a rough ride and a noisy cabin, the automatic-only GT-R is a car that could be driven on a daily basis.
http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/...13/nissan-gt-r

A convincing argument exists for both cars. The GT-R certainly earns respect for being so spectacularly dominant at speed, but it neglects the subtle but hugely enjoyable elements of driving a car. It sees the apex, but misses the road. The R8 has depth. Its ease of use and comfort mean you could drive it every day, and yet that functionality doesn't impede the fun when you drive it fast.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...bsts_take.html

Detestably heavy, odd-looking, the transmission rattles, can be slow to boot up and deliver.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

The differences were stark: the GT-R's ride was harsh, and it was noisy - especially compared to the refined 911 Turbo; the R8 doesn't steer quite as sweetly as the 911, and its manual gearbox is a hindrance.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mo...turbo-v-r8-v10

Slowest selling cars

2013 Nissan GT-R: 97 days
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...ling-cars.html

Top 10 slowest selling cars of 2013:

Granted, the feisty GT-R was always intended as a relatively low-selling volume, but with performance that rivals far costlier exotics at an under-$100,000 sticker price you'd think Nissan could sell more than just a handful of these high-tech sports cars. Perhaps the styling is too polarizing, but more likely it's overshadowed by more-muscular (and less costly) fan favorites like the new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. MSRP: $99,590; 2013 sales: 1,236.
http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

Worst selling cars of 2012:

4. Nissan GT-R
MSRP: $96,820
Units Sold: 1,188
Last Year: –

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/07/t...icles-of-2012/

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-12-14 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 06:40 AM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I heard in that first 'drag race' video was the sounds of the LFA, since the video was nearly completely whited-out for me, but that was entertainment enough
Old 10-13-14, 08:49 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

If you cannot talk like an adult then I would recommend you go argue with someone else.
Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Yeah, usually haters are keyboard nerds who have never owned much less driven the car. Usually the ignorance comes from their loyalty/fanboism to a competing product.
LOL It is comical to see the pout and ridiculous allegations in this thread of bias etc. It is about giving people the 100% fact.....The notion that you completely deny the facts and act bitterly makes you what?

Apparently, the GTR supporters here want to have their cake and eat it too..... Let me guess, all of the following is hater propaganda as well.
05RollaXRS, Lexura1414, Celsius - please exit this thread.

If you can't discuss the relative merits of vehicles without adding rude comments about the people posting in the thread with a differing viewpoint, then I strongly suggest you not post at all in future threads. I've already removed access to the RC-F forum for a couple of folks who can't do this and will continue where members have recurring problems.
Old 10-17-14, 02:40 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Some of these comments are comical. 05Rolla I've heard the same thing as you about the GTR and pretty much everything I had heard was opposite of what I actually experienced. I guess it really depends on what you are used to. From what I had heard I thought the same thing as you about the transmission but that is not what I experienced and maybe things were so negative that when I got mine it seemed overblown. I do not have a problem with the transmission at all being clunky, tough to drive in stop and go traffic, etc. I also don't think the interior is as bad as people say especially with some of the premium interiors in the 2014+ models. I also don't feel it is overly stiff. The only problems I can see it being tough to daily drive is the run flats are horribly loud and with little kids, it is tough getting them in and out of the back seat. Also the reason sales have been slow is that once you price the car over $100k and the design is the same for 8 years, it is going to be a tough sell. Once Nissan provided $10k trunk money on '14's the sold a bunch of them in the '$80's where the car should be anyway. The only real complaint I have is that the paint quality on the car is horrible and some rattles on the inside but it's purpose is not to be a luxury car. I agree with you about the trap speeds being somewhat low but 127mph is no slouch and only a few cars can top that and take any of your examples on a track and those luxo cars will get smoked.

I do agree with most that the RC-F would be a way better daily driver but Lexus has a lot of work to do with the car. Lets put it this way, when Lexus employees had a chance to drive the M4 and the RC-F and the ones I know liked the M4 better, well lets just say they have some work to do.
Old 10-17-14, 04:19 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Some of these comments are comical. 05Rolla I've heard the same thing as you about the GTR and pretty much everything I had heard was opposite of what I actually experienced. I guess it really depends on what you are used to. From what I had heard I thought the same thing as you about the transmission but that is not what I experienced and maybe things were so negative that when I got mine it seemed overblown. I do not have a problem with the transmission at all being clunky, tough to drive in stop and go traffic, etc. I also don't think the interior is as bad as people say especially with some of the premium interiors in the 2014+ models. I also don't feel it is overly stiff. The only problems I can see it being tough to daily drive is the run flats are horribly loud and with little kids, it is tough getting them in and out of the back seat. Also the reason sales have been slow is that once you price the car over $100k and the design is the same for 8 years, it is going to be a tough sell. Once Nissan provided $10k trunk money on '14's the sold a bunch of them in the '$80's where the car should be anyway. The only real complaint I have is that the paint quality on the car is horrible and some rattles on the inside but it's purpose is not to be a luxury car. I agree with you about the trap speeds being somewhat low but 127mph is no slouch and only a few cars can top that and take any of your examples on a track and those luxo cars will get smoked.

I do agree with most that the RC-F would be a way better daily driver but Lexus has a lot of work to do with the car. Lets put it this way, when Lexus employees had a chance to drive the M4 and the RC-F and the ones I know liked the M4 better, well lets just say they have some work to do.

To the contrary, my friends at Lexus, some prior M3 owners, had just the opposite opinion after driving the M4 and the RCF. This is yet just another perspective from folks who have a preference for BMW cars. Lexus has done plenty of work on the RCF to create a car that challenges mainstream thinking on high performance cars and their use in our daily lives.

You like your new GTR. Two guys just dropped off two 2014s at Lexus up the road and drove away with 2014 ISFs. Here again, just another perspective on cars and the applicability and lack of applicability in their daily lives.

Let's just stop making comments that are so baiting and agree that there is a strong preference for Japanese cars in this group. Ergo, Club "Lexus."

And yes, I've been as guilty as the next guy. The GTR, for me, is the last car I'd ever buy and the first for others. That's neither right nor wrong.
Old 10-17-14, 04:27 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would LOVE to own a gtr, but the luxry and comfort is my main concern as well. plus i really like the rcf gauges, looks futuristic
Old 10-17-14, 04:47 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISF001
To the contrary, my friends at Lexus, some prior M3 owners, had just the opposite opinion after driving the M4 and the RCF. This is yet just another perspective from folks who have a preference for BMW cars. Lexus has done plenty of work on the RCF to create a car that challenges mainstream thinking on high performance cars and their use in our daily lives.

You like your new GTR. Two guys just dropped off two 2014s at Lexus up the road and drove away with 2014 ISFs. Here again, just another perspective on cars and the applicability and lack of applicability in their daily lives.

Let's just stop making comments that are so baiting and agree that there is a strong preference for Japanese cars in this group. Ergo, Club "Lexus."

And yes, I've been as guilty as the next guy. The GTR, for me, is the last car I'd ever buy and the first for others. That's neither right nor wrong.
I think you hit the nail on the head, there is no right or wrong as it is personal preference. I just can't take the fanboism sometimes. The GTR has many faults and I could provide a list longer than most and I don't care that I own one. I'm a fan of many cars but all have faults and I try to be objective and many people have such a hard time being objective and its even worse on the GTR forum.

As far as the perspective of folks who have a preference for BMW's, my friend at Lexus would never buy a German car and would only buy Japanese but asking them today which one they would pick if given one, both said hands down the M4 after driving them on the track and it wasn't close but both also said the BMW's interior sucked. Now the Audi they had there wasn't even close.
Old 10-17-14, 04:56 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

I think you hit the nail on the head, there is no right or wrong as it is personal preference. I just can't take the fanboism sometimes. The GTR has many faults and I could provide a list longer than most and I don't care that I own one. I'm a fan of many cars but all have faults and I try to be objective and many people have such a hard time being objective and its even worse on the GTR forum.

As far as the perspective of folks who have a preference for BMW's, my friend at Lexus would never buy a German car and would only buy Japanese but asking them today which one they would pick if given one, both said hands down the M4 after driving them on the track and it wasn't close but both also said the BMW's interior sucked. Now the Audi they had there wasn't even close.
We both know the "driver" is the greatest variable on any track. Let's see the Road and Track November story on the RCF and M4, with one driver, and take it from there. I heard again the opposite, i.e., that the TVD in the new Lexus outshined the M4 on the corners.

These are opinions, perspectives, and TWO exceptional cars but for very different reasons.
Old 10-17-14, 05:00 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

At the end of the day the GTR is just a Nissan just like the Vette is just a Chevy and the Viper is just a Dodge. The quality of these cars is no where close to a Tier 1 brand like Lexus and really can't be compared if that is what you are looking for. You just have to know what you are getting into or else it is going to be an expensive test drive.
Old 10-17-14, 05:10 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

At the end of the day the GTR is just a Nissan just like the Vette is just a Chevy and the Viper is just a Dodge. The quality of these cars is no where close to a Tier 1 brand like Lexus and really can't be compared if that is what you are looking for. You just have to know what you are getting into or else it is going to be an expensive test drive.
This is not my first F nor is it my last. I bought my ISF for close to $70k loaded--sight unseen. It's the best car I've ever owned . I'm expecting more from the RCF and should given the additional $15k over the ISF price.

They are all a test drive in the end. . Trust me when I tell you I am not the most easily satisfied buyer for anything automotive or otherwise.
Old 10-17-14, 05:32 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISF001
This is not my first F nor is it my last. I bought my ISF for close to $70k loaded--sight unseen. It's the best car I've ever owned . I'm expecting more from the RCF and should given the additional $15k over the ISF price.

They are all a test drive in the end. . Trust me when I tell you I am not the most easily satisfied buyer for anything automotive or otherwise.
Ha ha, not what I meant, Lexus' are pretty easy to figure out. I think you see people getting rid of GTRs quickly because they think they are something they are not just because it is japanese and they are $100k. They think they are more luxurious but they are a lot more raw than most people think even if they are easy to drive. Same goes for the dealership experience, I laugh when I hear what people expect from lower brands regardless of what the car costs.

Quick Reply: RC F vs GT-R