RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

TVD or Not

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 06:54 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default TVD or Not

I am on the fence between getting the Performance Package or not. I will never be tracking the RC-F. No track here on Guam only a drag strip. Carbon Fiber roof and rear spoiler to me is not going to save dramatic weight with the additional weight of the TVD unit. Color of my RC-F is going to be black so carbon fiber roof is not going to show very well either unless someone is very closed to the car. I suspect I will probably get more stop light drag races or passing slower vehicles where the standard LSD maybe more than enough. Maximum road speed on here is only 45 mph in certain areas. So mostly city driving (no highways). Guam's road is a very slippery when it rains due to coral aggregates used to mix with the asphalt road. So my question "Is the TVD really worth it in my driving situation?" Cost is not the factor. I would rather put the money save on a aftermarket wheels and tire. To me TVD is more of a bragging option. Still have time to decide. Local Lexus dealer still have no info on the RCF even though they have already have regular RC on order.

Chu...
Old 09-18-14, 06:59 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I would absolutely go for the TVD personally. It will help you even in wet around town driving when cornering. It is only a small upfront cost vs the annoyance of not having it if you want it later.
Old 09-18-14, 07:04 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TVD is a must have** If you are going F, might as well go all the way.
Old 09-18-14, 07:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Probably not. Nothing wrong with Torsen either. By your post it sounds like the only benefit of TVD is getting to tell people your RC F has the performance package. Getting the right tires may be more important.
Old 09-18-14, 07:52 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuH
I am on the fence between getting the Performance Package or not. I will never be tracking the RC-F. No track here on Guam only a drag strip. Carbon Fiber roof and rear spoiler to me is not going to save dramatic weight with the additional weight of the TVD unit. Color of my RC-F is going to be black so carbon fiber roof is not going to show very well either unless someone is very closed to the car. I suspect I will probably get more stop light drag races or passing slower vehicles where the standard LSD maybe more than enough. Maximum road speed on here is only 45 mph in certain areas. So mostly city driving (no highways). Guam's road is a very slippery when it rains due to coral aggregates used to mix with the asphalt road. So my question "Is the TVD really worth it in my driving situation?" Cost is not the factor. I would rather put the money save on a aftermarket wheels and tire. To me TVD is more of a bragging option. Still have time to decide. Local Lexus dealer still have no info on the RCF even though they have already have regular RC on order.

Chu...
I will not be tracking my carbon TVD RCF, but I am a technology junkie. For the times on Sunday morning when I can take the on ramp at light speed (no traffic to be seen), it's worth the cost for the new thrill. From what I have read and seen, you can actually feel the outside grip as you "dig into the road" through the corner with the accelerator.

Regardless, you cannot get the carbon without the TVD, and I wanted the carbon. I attach a few images to help you with your decision.
Attached Thumbnails TVD or Not-rcf-carbon-roof.jpg   TVD or Not-rcf-carbon-spoiler.jpg   TVD or Not-rcf-carbon-spoiler-2.jpg  
Old 09-19-14, 04:15 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

The TVD will be useful not only on the track but for spirited driving around town as well.

If ultimate driving pleasure is what you desire, a trick differential like the Lexus TVD is a must have on a modern day performance car.
Old 09-19-14, 05:17 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

With the driving conditions you mention, I would not get the TVD, waste of money. Im not a big fan of the Carbon roof either, with black its a total waste, probably wouldn't even look that good.

Originally Posted by ChuH

Chu...
Old 09-19-14, 05:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

considering your location and situation I would skip TVD
Old 09-19-14, 05:52 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd skip it unless it was for bragging rights. But since you mentioned cost is not the main factor, might as well get it. That way you won't have to second guess yourself later down the road.
Old 09-19-14, 07:42 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

If I were packaging in the RC F - TVD & Carbon would be included

Here's a quick look inside

Joe Z

Originally Posted by Paul Williamsen of Lexus International

Critical business in the Lexus RC F is handled by the optional Torque Vectoring Differential.
This cutaway by Bill N Viki Camp of Lexus College USA shows the conventional pinion-gear differential (center), with the planetary drive units on each side:
Lhe left side is cut away to show the compact drive motor that can apply pressure to the clutch pack, allowing each side to be over-driven to aid turn-in & cornering.
Attached Thumbnails TVD or Not-image.jpg   TVD or Not-rc-f-tvd-1.jpg  
Old 09-19-14, 07:46 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Of course there's always the vidoes...

~ Joe Z
Old 09-19-14, 09:32 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

it sounds like the roads he has to drive on are nothing like what's on the video, I doubt the TV is a must for his car.
Originally Posted by Joe Z
Of course there's always the vidoes...

Lexus RC F - Performance is in Your Control - YouTube

~ Joe Z
Old 09-19-14, 10:36 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Personally I'd pass on the TVD, but Lexus seems set on the bundles. I'd loose the TVD in favor of LSD, price and 70lb weight reduction. Maybe they'll adjust the bundles in future, and have CF as stand alone otion.