RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model
View Poll Results: How has your opinion of the RC F changed with the announcement of official specs?
Positive - I am pleased with the specs
27.50%
Indifferent - My opinion hasn't changed
31.25%
Negative - I am disappointed with the specs
41.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Your opinion on the RC F now that official specs and reviews are available

Old 09-12-14, 05:46 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
3600# is less than what a 3IS weighs. So an RCF thats longer, wider, has TVD, and a V8 should somehow be lighter than an IS350 and 150# lighter than the ISF? Keep dreaming. Lexus told us the "under 3968#" weight figure 8 months ago in the original debut, why exactly are people suddenly mad about the weight? Lexus didnt mislead anyone about weights, they didnt pull what BMW did on the M3/4.
I'm wasn't saying I hoped the RCF would magically be lighter than I knew it would be, I was just saying it is 400 lbs heavier than Lexus should have built it. ...of course they wouldn't have hit a price point in line with the ISF if they did though.
Old 09-13-14, 12:33 AM
DOC4LEX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the issue is here as we much as try not listen to car journalist opinion but their do have an influence in terms of our procurement decision,
What is baffling to me is that Lexus gave the world the ISF back 2007 as skunk works project which was pretty good for first attempt at having a go towards the Germans, Lesson learned was when the 10 years LFA supercar developed was perfected Lexus started getting Love and respect from petrolheads around the world. Lets forget the cost for a moment. Then Toyota gave the world the GT86 sports coupe also got the attention of the world media and fans loving its cleverness use of development materials.

The big question now is which lessons did the RCF learn from ISF, GT86 and ultimately the LFA?
Old 09-13-14, 02:18 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DOC4LEX
I think the issue is here as we much as try not listen to car journalist opinion but their do have an influence in terms of our procurement decision,
What is baffling to me is that Lexus gave the world the ISF back 2007 as skunk works project which was pretty good for first attempt at having a go towards the Germans, Lesson learned was when the 10 years LFA supercar developed was perfected Lexus started getting Love and respect from petrolheads around the world. Lets forget the cost for a moment. Then Toyota gave the world the GT86 sports coupe also got the attention of the world media and fans loving its cleverness use of development materials.

The big question now is which lessons did the RCF learn from ISF, GT86 and ultimately the LFA?
Maybe the same lesson as all the other ones: while on paper those cars were not that promising, they all delivered something special that no rival could. Maybe the RC F is a the ultimate daily sporty car, which is practical, reliable, fun, awakes your emotions, fast but not dangerous, posed and relaxing, distinguishable, etc....etc...etc......
Old 09-13-14, 01:36 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This poll, which I view as positive for Lexus, is based on the reviews for the prototype model RCF made available in Monticello.

As these cars were intentionally detuned to prevent driver accidents/stand still burnouts and were not running with the latest engine management software, I suggest repolling the group when the better numbers are made available by testing the actual production car.

Last edited by ISF001; 09-13-14 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-13-14, 02:47 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
I suggest repolling the group when the better numbers are made available by testing the actual production car.
Good idea, please followup.
Old 09-17-14, 02:09 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Recently drove my buddy's new Stingray with the 7-speed manual. Base price now is 54k - thousands less than the RC-F, but with better performance figures. I'm afraid I'll be looking at a new 'Vette.
However, my daily driver will always be a GS350.
Old 09-17-14, 02:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

cant beat the C7 vette for the price and speed.
Old 09-17-14, 05:16 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

cant beat the C7 vette for the price and speed.
Actually, potential buyers need to hold the horses. I found out today that the engine is casting off metal fragments and this is why it was pulled off the market.

Not much of a bargain at this point. Hopefully, they can relaunch and reposition the new C7.
Old 09-17-14, 08:49 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

I thought it had to do with the steering wheel airbag and parking brake cable.
The article I read stated "About 2,000 Chevrolet Corvettes from the new 2015 model-year may have a "suspect part" that is supposed to attach the driver's side airbag to the steering wheel. Another 800 'Vettes could be equipped with rear parking brake cables that were not properly installed."
Please elaborate on what you heard/read.
Old 09-17-14, 08:56 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

C&D had two C7s with cratered engines. Silver one for their long term test and the yellow one they used for the lightning lap.

Why would they stop production for parking brake and airbag issues? Other manufacturers have defects too but they dont stop production. Have the feeling its more than just that.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ne-damage.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-stingray.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...wn-engine.html
Old 09-18-14, 04:19 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

C&D had two C7s with cratered engines. Silver one for their long term test and the yellow one they used for the lightning lap.

Why would they stop production for parking brake and airbag issues? Other manufacturers have defects too but they dont stop production. Have the feeling its more than just that.

I learned yesterday from a V owner that they are finding shards of metal in the engine. Apparently, there is a material composition problem. It sounds like back to the drawing board for resolution. It's a shame. I've always been a V fan.
Old 09-18-14, 12:04 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

A safety issue (airbags, brake cables) is the primary reason for mandatory recalls, although manufacturers can issue recalls for other issues as well, as Lexus has done.
Old 09-18-14, 01:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Lexus needs to do the same thing they did with the IS-F. A road show driving event in major cities around the country. Even better if they can offer a full day as they did with the IS-F so potential owners can drive the car in multiple events and get a better feel for what the car will and won't do.
Don't know about a road show for customers but Sept 15 November 20 Lexus College presents "Running of the Bulls" hitting metro areas Dallas, Denver, Chicago, Cincinnati, DC, Philadelphia/NJ, NY, Boston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Houston, LA, Phoenix, Seattle and SF (in that order). We will be driving the NX, RC and RC F

I'm in SF so my track day is Nov 19-20th. Just signed up today!