RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-15, 12:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Hey man, how are you? I always enjoyed and appreciated your posts, but it's been a decade since I sold my last Lexus. Thanks a million for your great help. Yes, the torque converter is locked on gears 2-8, but apparently on upshifts only. And quick enough that I'm fine with them. But definitely not on coasting (off throttle) downshifts. Will try tomorrow manual downshifts under power. If converter remains locked, it should downshift as quickly as it upshifts... which would be perfectly acceptable to me. I can definitely live with just a coasting delay, as it's not dangerous; just annoying. So you think there's speaker sound too? I'm thinking that's NOT the case on the RC-F man. Take a look at the video below. Only way to find out for sure is to apply constant vacuum to the flap, by re-routing the vacuum source to the valve, rather than capping the valve for loud sound all the time (both done under a minute, and reversible just as quick). But the noise that bothers me the most is the drone from 2.5K until the loud intake noise takes over. That cannot be speaker noise IMO, but could be wrong. My guess is an intake trumpet pointing to the firewall I read about somewhere, but will scrutinize an RC-F tomorrow and find out for sure. If there's nothing else, then it must be speaker sound too. For now, hope the video below helps those who seek a loud intake sound all the time . Oh, and no, the fake sound on the new M5/M6s cannot be disabled anymore. Just heard from a master regional tech a few days back. Take care.
yeah i didn't read into it that much on tq locking for downshift. but i think it might have to do with blipping or whatever. definitely on the slow side. me coming from manual cars i can feel the lag very obviously, and compared to dct cars it's quite a bit difference for sure. i can understand about the "dangerous" part. given how i am used to shifting in a timely manner, i still remember the first few times i went hard on the isf, the shifting threw me off on the timing

the intake valve is still there on the rcf for sure, but the rcf also introduce a new system (also on nx fsport) that adds artificial sound inside the cable.

and man, can't disable the sound on m cars anymore? that's just a big shame...
Old 08-25-15, 04:59 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Hey Lou, I actually want to do the opposite: closed all the time. Would I choke the engine not allowing more air to rush thru at higher rpm? Curious about that. Will try both modes today. Thanks.
IMO, you would. That's also something I wouldn't do

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 08-25-15 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-25-15, 07:08 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New York Daily News: the "F" Is for Fast...

STEVE SILER
The Lexus RC-F has the looks and the power to match its rivals. But can the brand known for reliability and quality finally show off its wild side?

Full Car DetailsMore Reviews
MSRP
$63,340 (including destination fee)
ENGINE
5.0-liter V-8
POWER
467-horsepower

Luxury. Quietness. Comfort. The relentless pursuit of all of these things has earned Lexus with a bulletproof reputation as the the isolationist’s choice in luxury transportation. Oh yeah, there is a sterling reputation for reliability, too, something it shares with the other products sold by Lexus’ parent company Toyota. But certain brands like Audi and BMW have proven that style and performance are also important pillars for a luxury car brand to build upon - they are far sexier pillars, too. And as we all know, sex sells.

With that in mind, Lexus has created “F” (which stands for “fast”) versions of a few of its products to help sex up its product line, including the now-discontinued IS-F sedan, the upcoming GS-F sedan, and the sexiest of them all, the RC-F coupe you see here.

That big and bold Lexus grille doesn't get much bigger, or bolder, than the one found on the RC-F.
Now, if you want to speed sexily under the radar, this is not the car for you, especially rendered in (scratch-resistant!) Molten Orange Pearl. While the standard RC350 coupe on which the RC-F is based is no wallflower to begin with, the F model cranks styling up to 11 on a scale of 1 to 10. The wide, three-dimensional spindle-shaped grille with its “L” motif mesh has equal numbers of lovers and detractors, but the three-element LED headlamps are works of high art.

The body features a deep scallop just aft of the front wheels that drops into a wide, sculpted shelf below the doors. Staggered quad tailpipes in back have become an F-model signature, and on the RC-F, they’re set into a rear bumper with hard edges and a lower diffuser. The look is long and wide, busy and cartoonish-enough to actually pull off this zany color. Try that in an RX350!

the F model cranks styling up to 11 on a scale of 1 to 10.

You sit low in the RC-F’s cabin within snug, beautifully stitched sport seats. Those pillowy lounge chairs in your dad’s LS400 are not what you’ll get in this car. Also intensifying the cabin is a smattering of carbon fiber trim and blue stitching. Lexus has a general and unfortunate aversion to chrome, however, opting instead to use a beige metallic plastic trim intended to look like no metal but most definitely isn’t.

The instrument cluster features dials that change color and configuration depending on which driving mode you have selected - eco, normal, sport, and sport plus are your options - and an additional info screen resides on the left with a smaller speedometer to the right. The dial layout is sensible for a sports car, and the design is suitably futuristic. We like it, a lot.

Staggered quad tailpipes have become an F-model signature.

On the other hand, we're not as fond of the haptic control touchpad interface used for navigation, audio and other app-based systems. Initially, it’s very weird, but gets better once you’re used to it. Even then, it doesn’t feel as elegant in operation as, say, BMW’s iDrive control. Thankfully, Lexus has made many primary functions operable with good old-fashioned ***** and buttons.

Both F cars share a V-8 engine that churns out its 467-horsepower at a rather lofty 7,100 rpm, with 389 lb.-ft. of torque coming in along the way at 4,800 rpm, all without the aid of a supercharger or turbocharger. Also helping is a torque-vectoring system that helps keep both rear wheels planted under power in corners.

The cabin in the RC-F is typically solid and has the Lexus quality you want. But the haptic infotainment control takes getting used to.

That said, its “peaky” power delivery - i.e. thrust that comes on most forcefully at high rpms - makes the maximum muscle of this car less accessible in everyday driving than, say, the turbocharged Cadillac ATS-V or BMW M4, two of the RC-F’s primary competitors. In other words, the RC-F feels truly fast only when you simply stand on the go-pedal all the way until its 7,300-rpm redline; otherwise, it feels merely quick.

Similar story with the exhaust note, which is one key element in stoking the happy feelings that ought to exist between a car like this and its driver. Frankly, it’s way too quiet (for a performance car, anyway). When driving in “sport-plus,” an Active Sound Control system amplifies some of the intake sounds through a dashboard speaker after about 3,000 rpm, and eventually floods your ears with a banshee wail above 6,000 rpm that befits the car’s wild styling.

A 467-horsepower 5.0-liter V-8 engine gives the RC-F lots of performance, but you have to dive deep into the rev range to access it.

But we wish there was some sort of button to keep the system active all the time, since half the fun of a car like the RC-F is slow-driving through neighborhoods or sitting in traffic with the burbling sounds of a monster V-8 pulsing through your body and anyone within earshot. Would this make it a menace to society, you ask?

Did you see that color? Does it look like it cares?!?

The styling is controversial, but the headlights on the RC-F are works of automotive art.
Out on the open road, however, not only can the RC-F stretch its high-speed legs with the German’s best - the top speed is 171 mph - but it can turn rather well, too. We wouldn’t mind more feedback through the steering wheel, but grip is absolutely tenacious, especially for such a heavy car. Ditto the brakes, which stop so powerfully you may find your sunglasses fly off of your face. (Don't ask us how we know that)

The RC-F is priced at $63,340, nearly $20K more than the RC350 coupe. That’s a steep upgrade from the RC350, which is already pretty sporty in its 306-hp base form. Adding packages that include navigation, Mark Levinson surround sound audio, electronic driving aids, and more easily swells the price into the mid-$70K range.

The RC-F starts around $63,000, though the price easily swells into the mid-$70K range when you start adding options.

That’s some good money, to be sure. One happy medium is the RC350 F-Sport, which adds a dollop of sportiness to the base car’s styling and interior, as well as an adaptive suspension while keeping the price in the mid-$50K range.

TAGS: 2015 , lexus , rc , lexus rc , sports-convertible-super-exotic-luxury cars
Old 08-26-15, 10:01 AM
kesando
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/26/2...s-rc-f-review/

Recent Autoblog Review

Last edited by kesando; 08-26-15 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-26-15, 10:39 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kesando
I find it a stretch to even call that one a review. I generally like autoblog, but they really didn't address much of the cars particulars in it. Oh well.
Old 08-26-15, 12:26 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the intake valve is still there on the rcf for sure, but the rcf also introduce a new system (also on nx fsport) that adds artificial sound inside the cabin
You know, I drove the RC-F yesterday with the intake valve open all the time, and closed all the time. With it closed, we couldn't hear any artificial intake noise at all, so doubt the RC-F has that speaker. If it does, it's not really noticeable. Having said that, the engine alone doesn't sound too appealing man. All 3 of us testing the car that way agreed it sounded much better with the intake noise I'm not so fond of. And in the stock configuration at that, meaning the louder intake noise comes in at around 3,600 rpm. With the flap open all the time, it can get noisy when touring when engine requires a bit more engine load.

Decided on the RC-F, even with its compromised tranny. Lexus should have at least put the ZF one, if they wanted to handicap their car without a DCT. What a shame. But I'll learn to deal with that shortcoming. Also beware of the converter lock-up if you want to take off drifting. I learned the hard way with all the nannies off, thinking it was a DCT. When the converter locks, you get a sudden rush of torque that gets you sideways in a hurry. After lots of testing, the best way for those who like to drive aggressively, was the 'expert' mode. Even though the dash says all nannies are off, they're not. But they kick in until you're about 30º sideways or so (FYI). It's a brilliant mode IMO. By the way, this car didn't have the optional TVD, so I assume such car (the one I'll buy) probably would have prevented that. Unfortunately, I'm not going to do the testing we did yesterday on my car. Ha ha. And yes, this salesman and I did all of that on a 5K-mile 'executive' car, so I didn't mind. And yes, he drove it WAY harder than I did, but he's an excellent driver, and knows the car well. I have a lot of experience too, and I can say this is one of the most rewarding cars to drive fast, and has incredible chassis dynamics, especially for its weight. That test drive convinced me to trade it for a GTR. And that's a high order. Thank you again for all your great comments.
Old 08-26-15, 12:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

this is the thread on asc
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ior-cabin.html

congrats on the rcf! can't wait to hear more of your reviews
Old 08-27-15, 09:05 PM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

NY Daily News

2015 Lexus RC-F: The “F” is for Fast. But is this luxury sport coupe Fantastic to drive?

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/lat...icle-1.2333535

AutoBlog -

"The Lexus RC F isn't the dynamic equal of its competitors. Instead, it delivers a good blend of everyday livability, and it does so for a more reasonable price. While it isn't likely to appeal to people buying cars for track days, it's a good deal for folks who just want to look the part."

Old 08-28-15, 02:41 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aginnt
NY Daily News

2015 Lexus RC-F: The “F” is for Fast. But is this luxury sport coupe Fantastic to drive?

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/lat...icle-1.2333535

AutoBlog -

"The Lexus RC F isn't the dynamic equal of its competitors. Instead, it delivers a good blend of everyday livability, and it does so for a more reasonable price. While it isn't likely to appeal to people buying cars for track days, it's a good deal for folks who just want to look the part."

The Daily Nees Article is posted above in its entirety.

As for the AutoBlog quote, and based on plenty of documented track runs, the F is every bit as capable as its competitors on the track. I'm not a weekend track warrior. I bought the car for DD fun. If I lived at the track, there would be a Cayman in the garage--not an RC F, M4, or RS 5.
Old 08-28-15, 11:44 PM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Audi RS5 vs RC F. Audi wins

Old 08-30-15, 07:27 PM
JCtx
Racer

I've driven both, and am far from a fanboy of ANY vehicle, whether I own it or not. Having said that, the RC-F might lose against many other cars, but the RS-5? That's a joke. With a modified FWD chassis (engine ahead of the axle) with 58+% of its (heavier) weight ahead of the front axle, and AWD (never 100% rear bias), doubt it handles better than the RC-F. But I can tell you from experience the RC-F feels it handles immensely better. Couldn't push the Audi nearly as hard as I could the RC-F, but didn't need to. It was already plowing all over the place with all that weight in front. And the cabin feels cheap and dated. And even if it was better than the RC-F, with the reliability of that engine, I'd run as fast as I could from owning one.

In case anybody doubts I'm not a fanboy < he he>, a car that would easily beat the RC-F, although not exactly comparable (AWD is not either), is the C63S AMG (both RWD). And would also beat it in many other aspects as well. But some reason, the RC-F just talked to me. It feels special, even with its faults.
Old 08-30-15, 09:55 PM
dbturbo2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven both, and am far from a fanboy of ANY vehicle, whether I own it or not. Having said that, the RC-F might lose against many other cars, but the RS-5? That's a joke. With a modified FWD chassis (engine ahead of the axle) with 58+% of its (heavier) weight ahead of the front axle, and AWD (never 100% rear bias), doubt it handles better than the RC-F. But I can tell you from experience the RC-F feels it handles immensely better. Couldn't push the Audi nearly as hard as I could the RC-F, but didn't need to. It was already plowing all over the place with all that weight in front. And the cabin feels cheap and dated. And even if it was better than the RC-F, with the reliability of that engine, I'd run as fast as I could from owning one.

In case anybody doubts I'm not a fanboy < he he>, a car that would easily beat the RC-F, although not exactly comparable (AWD is not either), is the C63S AMG (both RWD). And would also beat it in many other aspects as well. But some reason, the RC-F just talked to me. It feels special, even with its faults.
Did you actually drive an RS5?
Old 08-31-15, 10:13 AM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by dbturbo2
Did you actually drive an RS5?
Probably dealing with an Audi fanboy here. Will respond one more time, but I'm probably wasting my time. Like I said, yes, drove one for 25 miles, but very good 25 miles (tight twisties, sweepers, high-speed, etc). Didn't push it too hard, but felt like crap, being used to RWD cars with close to 50/50 weight distribution. Not saying it can't handle if you push it, just like a 911. But just doesn't feel rewarding. Another unrelated reason is I just didn't warm up to the handling feel of an AWD car (when pushed) in general. Again, you can drive them quicker with the same driving ability, but they just don't feel rewarding. Now, there's a noticeable difference from the GTR and RS5, due to the inherent FWD bias of the RS5 powertrain. In plain terms, the RS5 is a rear-wheel assisted AWD system (based on FWD platform), vs the GTR being a front-wheel assisted AWD system (based on RWD platform). The GTR always has 100% torque sent to rear wheels unless slip occurs. The Audi always sends power to the front wheels (70% normally, and 30% as a minimum, if memory serves me right. But never 100% rear bias; that I'm sure). So not all AWD systems are created equal. Finally, you'll NEVER make a modified FWD platform (RS5 is based on the FWD A5 platform), or any AWD car for that matter, feel like a RWD one, period. And THAT was my main point.
Old 09-01-15, 09:20 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

these youtube car review allstars are getting on my last. He basically just said he doesnt like either interior. Its like atleast pick one. I just drove a 2011 RS5 it has the same exact interior as the 2015 as well as the navigation and radio require you to take your eyes off the road. And every youtube reviewer out there hates every brands Information displays. They spend 15mins with them without being instructed how to properly use them, then complain they are cumbersome and laggy. Every new car I sell, comes with a Complimentary Technology Delivery. I have a 82 year old woman in a New NX200t with Navigation with the new touch pad. And in 30 mins she was a pro and didnt need any further assistance. the RS5 is more attractive than the M4 and you can feel how unevenly the RS5 is weighted. ITS SAD!
Old 09-04-15, 11:37 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Telegraph and Argus: Powerful RC F will turn heads - and consume a lot of fuel

The mouthwatering Lexus RC F is a real head-turner - both in terms of its aggressive styling and throaty engine roar.

This high-performance sports car comes equipped with the Premium Japanese brand's most powerful V8 engine to date, generating more than 450bhp.

The RC F, which went on sale in the UK earlier this year, has a 5.0-litre naturally-aspirated engine.

Some purists have questioned if the car's weight, which is around the 4,000-pounds mark, hinders its outright agility and response when compared to other sports coupes, especially when tested on the racing circuit.

But in the real world, owners who use the RC F on a daily basis on normal public roads probably won't notice the difference because the car's acceleration and handling are more than sufficient.

The vehicle's exterior is all-new, complete with a big front grille, bonnet bulges, large alloy wheels and wide wheel arches. If you're tempted to subscribe to the theory that Lexus has a reputation for refined yet conservative cars, then this machine is sure to change your mind.

Indeed, great credit must go to Lexus for allowing its designers to get a bit carried away with the RC F.

The result is a car with an all-round aggressive stance that looks like no other car in the range and certainly catches the eye.

Promoted stories

Inside, it has plenty of equipment as standard, while the driving position has plenty of adjustment.

The standard sports seats are superbly comfortable, while the cabin is well built and noise levels when cruising are well managed.

In terms of space and practicality, the RC F is a two-door coupe, meaning access to the front and rear seats is through a long door on each side.

Once passengers have clambered into the back, the space available to them is quite reasonable; and there’s just two seats rather than a bench which makes for more elbow room.

Meanwhile, the boot is pretty spacious, with 366 litres on offer.

One feature of the week-long loan was the all-too-frequent trips to the petrol station. If you drive like a saint, you may get more than 35mpg. But, in truth, the fantastic V8 noise - with a throaty rumble reminiscent of an American muscle car, encourages you to work the engine hard with the inevitable consequence of increased fuel usage that leaves you closer to 17mpg.

At its best, the RC F will throw you back in your seat as it performs the sprint from 0-62mph in just 4.5 seconds, which is unquestionably fast.

Indeed, such is the responsive nature of the car in Sport mode, especially when using the paddles, that you could be forgiven for forgetting that eco mode and normal mode even exist!

RC F has a comprehensive specification, in fact you can see just how much kit it has by virtue of the fact that the options list is very short indeed. You get a high-end audio system with satellite navigation, 19-inch wheels, a mechanical limited-slip differential, a leather interior and the impressive sports seats. The only options on the standard car are the electronic differential and the Mark Levinson audio system.

With this offering, there is every sign that Lexus can attract buyers who would otherwise go for the default German options such as the Audi RS5 and BMW M4.

ISF001 Note: RC F drivers need to give the tranny a go in sport + mode, TVD set to track, and traction turned off, and then shift the vehicle in automatic (not manual) mode. There is no doubt in my mind the RC F is faster in automatic with AI enabled. Before you run, pull back on the paddle to limit the gear position display to 1st gear. You've got shift control from there.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread