RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Old 08-03-15, 05:18 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default In a Downsized Turbocharged World, the RC F Is the V8 Beast We Need

Popular Mechanics

​Everyone's going turbocharged. Small displacement and turbochargers are the way to the high-performance future. The BMW M3 ditched its V8 for a turbo six. The new Cadillac ATS-V has room under the hood for a V8, but GM deliberately went with a turbocharged six instead. And Lexus finally smartened up and swapped the IS250's 2.5-liter V6 for a 2.0-liter turbo four that's way more powerful.

And here, bucking the trend, we have the Lexus RC-F. This is the two-door coupe evolution of the IS-F sedan, which was an old-school hot rod of the Pontiac GTO ilk—Lexus' biggest engine stuffed into its smallest sedan. But instead of jettisoning the IS-F's 5.0-liter V8 and building the new car around a turbocharged V6, Lexus doubled down on naturally aspirated goodness.*

Compared to the IS-F, the RC has a higher compression ratio and redline (7,100 rpm), pushing the 5.0 to 467 horsepower. In engineering terms, that's what's known as a lot of stank. Plus, the exhaust pipes now go all the way to the tips, something the couldn't be said of the IS-F, which had exhaust portals in the rear bumper even though the exhaust system itself ended about six inches shy of that.

Ezra Dyer

Maybe 467 horses doesn't sound like a lot in this crazy Hellcat world, but it's enough to make the RC-F feel like a serious sports coupe. And it's not so much power that the engine dominates all else. There's a Japanese harmoniousness to the whole package. The high-revving V8 and low-slung cockpit and electric power steering that feels so good I had to look at the spec sheet to confirm that it wasn't hydraulic. Under throttle, V8 barking, this car feels more like the old M3 than the new M3 does. And while I never got a chance to drive the Lexus LF-A supercar, I will note that this Lexus coupe is within 100 horsepower of the LF-A for, what, an eighth the price?*

Yes, Lexus probably should've just bought ZF's eight-speed transmission like everyone else (the Aisin AA80E eight-speed feels comparatively clumsy), and I'd like a louder exhaust system. But the RC-F proves that there are passionate car people within the Toyota empire. And when they're turned loose, they're going to give you a torque vectoring differential and forged wheels and active aero—along with perfect stitching on the seats and the typical fastidious build quality that made Lexus a Benz rival the moment the first LS400 rolled off the line.

Even though the RC-F is brand new, it's already something of a glorious anachronism, a big booming V8 in a world of sixes. I'm glad it's here, for however long it lasts.
Old 08-03-15, 05:29 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Tested: Lexus RC F

Scout - Gear

Massive power, complete luxury and totally unique styling? Check, check, check.

The RC F—the all-new performance coupe from Lexus—gets quite a reaction when it drives by, and it's easy to understand why. The aggressive lines, flared fenders, angry-looked grill, massive cooling ducts and roaring V8 are anything but subtle. The most common refrain from gawking onlookers? "That's a Lexus?"

It's easy to understand their surprise. Since Toyota's premium brand was launched in the mid-eighties, Lexus has been associated with comfort and prestige. While the leather-and-carbon-fiber-filled cabin—with a thoroughly intuitive infotainment system and two very comfortable buckets—maintains the company's luxury-car DNA, the RC F is just as at home whipping around a track as it is cruising down Main Street…especially when locked into sport plus mode.

So what moves the RC F? Its beating heart is a 5-liter V8 that gets 467 horsepower and 389 lb-ft of torque, all without a turbo or supercharger. That's enough to move the hefty 4048-pound beast from 0 to 60 in 4.3 seconds and all the way to a governed top speed of 171 miles per hour.

There are precious few vehicles on the planet that will let you go that fast, in so much comfort, behind the wheel of something this damn beautiful.

Specs
Efficiency: 16/25 (city/highway)
0-60 MPH: 4.3 seconds
Top Speed: 171 mph
Horsepower: 467 horsepower
Torque: 389 lb-ft
MSRP: $63,325
Old 08-03-15, 10:02 PM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Popular Mechanics

​Everyone's going turbocharged. Small displacement and turbochargers are the way to the high-performance future. The BMW M3 ditched its V8 for a turbo six. The new Cadillac ATS-V has room under the hood for a V8, but GM deliberately went with a turbocharged six instead. And Lexus finally smartened up and swapped the IS250's 2.5-liter V6 for a 2.0-liter turbo four that's way more powerful.

And here, bucking the trend, we have the Lexus RC-F. This is the two-door coupe evolution of the IS-F sedan, which was an old-school hot rod of the Pontiac GTO ilk—Lexus' biggest engine stuffed into its smallest sedan. But instead of jettisoning the IS-F's 5.0-liter V8 and building the new car around a turbocharged V6, Lexus doubled down on naturally aspirated goodness.*

Compared to the IS-F, the RC has a higher compression ratio and redline (7,100 rpm), pushing the 5.0 to 467 horsepower. In engineering terms, that's what's known as a lot of stank. Plus, the exhaust pipes now go all the way to the tips, something the couldn't be said of the IS-F, which had exhaust portals in the rear bumper even though the exhaust system itself ended about six inches shy of that.

Ezra Dyer

Maybe 467 horses doesn't sound like a lot in this crazy Hellcat world, but it's enough to make the RC-F feel like a serious sports coupe. And it's not so much power that the engine dominates all else. There's a Japanese harmoniousness to the whole package. The high-revving V8 and low-slung cockpit and electric power steering that feels so good I had to look at the spec sheet to confirm that it wasn't hydraulic. Under throttle, V8 barking, this car feels more like the old M3 than the new M3 does. And while I never got a chance to drive the Lexus LF-A supercar, I will note that this Lexus coupe is within 100 horsepower of the LF-A for, what, an eighth the price?*

Yes, Lexus probably should've just bought ZF's eight-speed transmission like everyone else (the Aisin AA80E eight-speed feels comparatively clumsy), and I'd like a louder exhaust system. But the RC-F proves that there are passionate car people within the Toyota empire. And when they're turned loose, they're going to give you a torque vectoring differential and forged wheels and active aero—along with perfect stitching on the seats and the typical fastidious build quality that made Lexus a Benz rival the moment the first LS400 rolled off the line.

Even though the RC-F is brand new, it's already something of a glorious anachronism, a big booming V8 in a world of sixes. I'm glad it's here, for however long it lasts.
Link to the article - http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a16732/lexus-rc-f/
Old 08-03-15, 11:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Old 08-07-15, 06:38 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

I came across this review tonight. It is from last October, so it's possible that it was already posted, but couldn't find it in a search. I found it to be very objective, given that it was done by a BMW blogging site. Anyway give it a read.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/10/23/dr...015-lexus-rcf/
Old 08-10-15, 09:37 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Lexus RC F: Pogromca BMW? Decydują emocje (Translated)

Translated by Detection in Google from Polish to English (No edits.)

http://moto.wp.pl/kat,125,title,Lexu...?ticaid=115612 (Video)

Sports car is primarily emotions. And here we have them in abundance. Great coupe, two-door car, whose body literally see the speed. Almost 500 hp is the ideal power to easily and quickly lose control of it? Not in this model. Here above all, ensures sophisticated electronics. In our test, the most extreme and further slimmed-down version of its carbon roof, hood and rear spoiler.

The car in jaskrawopomarańczowym color seems to scream that it is fast and furious. Body shape is to ensure adequate cooling of engine and the brakes and the downforce and stability.
With comparisons times acceleration that is theoretically slower than the BMW M4, and in practice - as proven - leaves them behind. That's the latest Lexus RC F decided to go check on the new racetrack near Gdansk - belonging to the Pomeranian Centre Road, West autodrome.
I can still remember the slalom, which I managed to do on Tor Poznan predecessor of the car, a Lexus IS-F, beating the competition in the 911 and some strong BMW. Now RC F is even a special program for driving slalom and on winding roads. Lexus IS F is no longer as customers instead of strong-door sedan, coupe racial prefer. Therefore arose RC F.
The interior is luxurious. Finishing and fitting elements has a very high quality. Deep seats are designed to fit perfectly kept the body in corners. Whether you're thin as a blade of grass, if you weigh well over 100 kg. He sits very low, through a small side windows you can see a little, but the driving position is exemplary. RC-F is a construction type 2 + 2, which means very little space at the back. Persons shorter than 180 cm will be there but to travel in bearable conditions. But for kids places will be plentiful, and hidden behind folding plugs ISOFIX attachment makes it easy to install car seats. Very cool solution. It's nice that even in the car so much sports-oriented ride, they did not forget about the safety of children. However, to the carriage of children, we recommend the use of ECO mode smoothest.

Lexus RC F is a model that impresses and design capabilities, provides maximum driving pleasure, and this is suitable for everyday, comfortable use. They have been created with the aim of driver satisfaction, but not forgotten by the passenger. Few of these cars have already left. It is worth to buy, because soon run out of such emotions. It is worth mentioning also the proportion of performance, quality and versatility for money.

This is one of the last true muscle cars at a time when everyone assembles turbochargers and compressors. Mercedes capitulated, surrendered downsizingowi turbotrendowi and also BMW. In contrast, the Lexus, in all respects, has a strong character. The German competitors have a problem with the personality and background of the RC Fa fall just pale. And if you lack the rear seats and the second pair of doors - think that soon will debut czterodrzdwiowy Lexus GS-F.

Special thanks for the help in realization of material for Autodrompomorze.pl and DCphoto Daniel Czarnocki
Marek Wieliński, WP moto
BlaBlaCar - economic expert travel. Add passage and refuel for free!
Old 08-17-15, 12:53 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default New Lexus RC F Carbon automatic is even more stunning than before

http://www.***************.uk/lifest...carbon-6158759

It is not often I throw a hissy fit but when they told me they were coming to pick up my beautiful Lexus RC F Carbon, I felt justified.

I had been slightly apprehensive – it is a lot of car – but just minutes behind the wheel and I knew we were made for each other. And now they were taking it away.

The Carbon is the latest version of the RC F and, if anything, it is even more stunning.

0-60 Road Test: Lexus RC F Carbon

The red with the black carbon roof, bonnet and rear spoiler just takes your breath away. It also takes 10kg away from the weight of the car. The spoiler deploys automatically at 50mph and at 81mph in Eco mode or the driver can control itmanually.

The nose has that deep Lexus grille with the black honeycomb that makes it look a real mean machine but has a practical application, providing the natural aspiration of the RC F.

In profile, it is so sleek and elegant with chrome round the top of the windows. Inside, it has a fantastic top quality finish with high back sports front seats that can be moved every which way, Alcantara upholstery, the F Sport steering wheel and gearstick and aluminium sports pedals.

And you will fall in love with the snug, wraparound seats.

The instruments are easily operated from the small mouse-type pad at your left hand and a dial offers you five operating modes – Eco, Normal, SportS, Sport S+ and Snow.

Even in Eco, the RC F will power down the outside lane and when you put it into Sport, it almost blasts off. It now includes a
G-sensor to monitor g-forces and help optimise gear ratio selection when you are on the track, for example.

Having said all this, I must mention this is an incredibly easy car to drive.

The experience of driving an RC F is thrilling and exhilarating yet incredibly familiar.

It responds instantly and perfectly to everything you ask of it, quietly and powerfully eating up the miles with the least effort. Slap down the gas pedal and the sound is amazing as the car leaps forward under your hands. The RC F Carbon also benefits from a form of torque vectoring differential that defaults to standard but can be switched to Slalom for a really agile response or Track for extra stability during high speed track driving.

It also has 19in forged alloys and an upmarket Mark Levinson Surround Sound system.

Alongside, because this is a Lexus, there is a wheen of safety features such as tyre pressure monitoring, lane departure warning, rear traffic crossing, blind spot monitoring, auto sensing wipers and lights, and everything works as it should.

The received wisdom is that drivers buy a car with their heart and not their head. This car gives you every reason to buy with your heart and your head because it will tick every box there is – performance, handling, looks, technology, safety, comfort. And if you are wondering why you have not seen more on the roads, it is because they’ve only been on sale here for about two months. This is your chance to be the first.
Old 08-18-15, 07:36 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-21-15, 11:14 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Can somebody please tell me how the RCF compares to the M4 (and also to other Lexus vehicles like the GS and LS) in INTERIOR NOISE??? I've read for 2 hours comparison after comparison, and many threads here, and nobody has mentioned that. I'm coming from a 2015 GTR, so don't give a crap about all-out speed anymore. Just want a fast, comfortable, and quiet GT car that is sporty (as in firm) enough to go fast while feeling safe, and be relatively athletic in the twisties, while letting me enjoy of a nice stereo system without too much road and wind noise. Not quite ready for an LS, so considering an M6 with the B&O stereo, or RCF with the ML (fully loaded). Thx.
Old 08-23-15, 02:54 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Can somebody please tell me how the RCF compares to the M4 (and also to other Lexus vehicles like the GS and LS) in INTERIOR NOISE??? I've read for 2 hours comparison after comparison, and many threads here, and nobody has mentioned that. I'm coming from a 2015 GTR, so don't give a crap about all-out speed anymore. Just want a fast, comfortable, and quiet GT car that is sporty (as in firm) enough to go fast while feeling safe, and be relatively athletic in the twisties, while letting me enjoy of a nice stereo system without too much road and wind noise. Not quite ready for an LS, so considering an M6 with the B&O stereo, or RCF with the ML (fully loaded). Thx.
Interior Noise:

I had a GS, ISF, and now have the RC F. I've not owned the LS, but I have been in my buddy's LS and shared hundreds of miles.

The RC F provides the driver with more engine feedback than the LS and GS. Sport mode (street performance) mode is what I commonly use in office commutes. If you stay below 4,000 rpm, the car provides you with a low frequency grumble. It's when you move above 4,000 rpm that the engine really comes alive and starts to articulate its engine sound at higher frequencies.

Sport + mode will pipe much more sound into the car--a 50/50 mix of engine and matched amplification.

If you really want to experience the twisties as if you were in a slot car, the TVD in track mode is the way to go. I have tested it on demanding corners at challenging speeds for most cars, and the car holds like a champ.

The car is quick, planted, safe, and extremely comfortable. I do not hear the wind and there is minimal road chatter, and the Mark Levinson sound system is exceptional.

Hope this helps.

M6 and the RC F--two very different animals IMO.

M4--I'll let others give you their opinions, and you can read about the M4 in this massive thread and watch these videos.

Good luck with whatever you select.

Last edited by ISF001; 08-23-15 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-23-15, 11:22 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by ISF001
Sport + mode will pipe much more sound into the car--a 50/50 mix of engine and matched amplification.
Thanks a million for your help brother. Hey, may I ask you if by 'matched amplification' you meant there's speaker amplification a la BMW, or just the vacuum-operated trumpet in the intake system pointing to the firewall? Hope just the latter. It can be disconnected, and I'd do exactly that. Tested the car yesterday, and the noise is downright annoying and artificial. And coming up all at once, it's pretty obvious not natural. Guess Lexus wanted to make it sound like an exhaust valve opened up, but sounds nothing like that. Can't wait to try the car with that valve disconnected. A magazine tester named Carlos Lago said the car was much more pleasant to drive without it, and that the engine sounded much more attractive and refined.

The only 2 things I really disliked were the tranny and infotainment controller. I hated that thing since it came out, but it's even worse on the RC-F with that mousepad thing. But guess I could live with that. Don't understand why Lexus left that old screen the size of a cheap Hyundai's though. The tranny is disappointingly lethargic on downshifts, even in sport+ mode (no difference, actually). Highly disappointed, since I'd like to drive this car in manual mode all the time. Upshifts are much quicker; not GTR quick (which is not that quick by DCT standards), but acceptably so. Downshifts take longer than a second though. That's absolutely unacceptable IMO. And if you didn't notice that 4K+ artificial noise wasn't fake, you'd definitely do as soon as you lift the throttle: SILENCE. And as expected, the downshift rev matching is a joke compared to DCT cars. And I said expected because a torque converter doesn't work like a clutch, so can't do aggressive throttle blips like even the planetary-gear Mercedes tranny (wet clutch instead of a torque converter). Oh well. If it only downshifted as quickly as upshifted, I'd be happy. Will ask the service manager tomorrow if there's a setting that can be programmed. It should be able to downshift much quicker than it does. Maybe it's because of the throttle blipping? I was actually quite impressed with the handling. It handles better than the GTR, believe it or not. AND corners flatter as well. Oh, and you can disable TC, which you cannot do on the GTR without voiding your warranty (yes, you read that right). Its AWD system is both sophisticated and crappy. Car corners well, but no sideways fun like you can have on the RC-F.

I asked about the M6 because it's also a GT car, just more expensive. Wanted to know if somebody has driven both to compare them. It should be quieter and faster, which are nice attributes for me . But don't know about cornering. It's way heavier at 4,400+ lbs, but supposedly handles very well, so probably at least close to the RC-F. Now, why the heck did Lexus remove the adjustable shocks on the RC-F? Some people say they get harder in sport+ mode, but if they're not adjustable, that's a lie. Or ignorance, rather. Will check the shock towers tomorrow, and if there're no wires coming out from the top of the shocks, it's simply not adjustable at all. The reason I didn't want to even test-drive the M6 was its undefeatable fake speaker engine noise. But can't imagine being any worse than the RC-F, so maybe I owe it to myself to give it a try. If the RC-F's tranny can be programmed to downshift quicker, and disconnecting the trumpet eliminates all artificial engine noise, I'm almost sure that'd be the car for me. Will keep you guys posted.

Finally, what do you mean by 'track mode'? Is that the one labeled 'expert'? Or is it the one you invoke by pressing the TC button for 3 seconds while on sport+, that disables everything, but gives you no name on the dash? Thx.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-23-15 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-24-15, 09:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

yes, track mode is expert i believe.

yes rcf has fake sound too, i can't understand these manufacturers at all.... where's the good old days true engine sound.

for tranny, yes it's slow. if i am correct, sport+ and manual mode, i believe the tq converter is locked? i think that's the faster shifting already compared to in other modes. but yup, i still think it's on the slow side. i highly doubt you can change that though

i think the m6 will be quieter but the m4 will be louder (or noisier i should say). you can't disable the fake sound in m6? i thought i saw a video of a m5 with the fake sound disabled. and i think the rcf will have better handling than the m6
Old 08-25-15, 12:13 AM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
yes, track mode is expert i believe. Yes, rcf has fake sound too. I can't understand these manufacturers at all.... where's the good old days true engine sound.
Hey man, how are you? I always enjoyed and appreciated your posts, but it's been a decade since I sold my last Lexus. Thanks a million for your great help. Yes, the torque converter is locked on gears 2-8, but apparently on upshifts only. And quick enough that I'm fine with them. But definitely not on coasting (off throttle) downshifts. Will try tomorrow manual downshifts under power. If converter remains locked, it should downshift as quickly as it upshifts... which would be perfectly acceptable to me. I can definitely live with just a coasting delay, as it's not dangerous; just annoying. So you think there's speaker sound too? I'm thinking that's NOT the case on the RC-F man. Take a look at the video below. Only way to find out for sure is to apply constant vacuum to the flap, by re-routing the vacuum source to the valve, rather than capping the valve for loud sound all the time (both done under a minute, and reversible just as quick). But the noise that bothers me the most is the drone from 2.5K until the loud intake noise takes over. That cannot be speaker noise IMO, but could be wrong. My guess is an intake trumpet pointing to the firewall I read about somewhere, but will scrutinize an RC-F tomorrow and find out for sure. If there's nothing else, then it must be speaker sound too. For now, hope the video below helps those who seek a loud intake sound all the time . Oh, and no, the fake sound on the new M5/M6s cannot be disabled anymore. Just heard from a master regional tech a few days back. Take care.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-25-15 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 09:21 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^The Flap Mod is old news for us ISF owners, and something you really don't want to do:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-this-mod.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ways-open.html

Lou
Old 08-25-15, 11:53 AM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^The Flap Mod is old news for us ISF owners, and something you really don't want to do
Hey Lou, I actually want to do the opposite: closed all the time. Would I choke the engine not allowing more air to rush thru at higher rpm? Curious about that. Will try both modes today. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread