RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 09:16 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Having now seen a few RCs in person, including the F, I am sort of shocked that Motor Trend so highly dislikes the exterior.

Maybe there are some awkward elements, such as the wide "hips" on the rear bumper, but in person, the RC has street presence and aggression unlike anything else right now. Not only is it aggressive, but I haven't met a single person who doesn't think the front end with tri-LED headlights isn't one of the best faces short of $100k. Lexus did a great job with this car, but alas, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
my wife just cant get past the spindle grill. loves EVERYTHING else about the car...just every other angle...but hates the look of it from the front.

me...i think its awesome. just not enough doors...
Old 12-10-14, 10:59 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, nothing revolutionary about the M4 looks, If you passed a BMW on a 2 lane road you wouldn't know what it was until you looked at the badge. M6 style would have a great one to use as a model for the M4. Im sure there are beemer fans that can tell you exactly what car it is with just one glance, Im not one of them for sure.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
main issue is, people buy these type of vehicles to stand out but the M4 doesnt, looks like a other pedestrian 3/4 series with an M Sport kit. Dunno about other people but buying a car in this segment I want to stand out. The M235 and M6 is what M3/4 shouldve looked like, more aggressive. M3/4 isnt ugly, just boring.
Old 12-10-14, 11:12 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
my wife just cant get past the spindle grill. loves EVERYTHING else about the car...just every other angle...but hates the look of it from the front.

me...i think its awesome. just not enough doors...
funny. i used to hate it myself, but its really growing on me, edgy, angular and dynamic, definitely japanese, and i love that about it!

but has she seen DIS angle?:

Last edited by scamsel; 12-10-14 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-10-14, 11:44 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've accepted the ugliness that is the spindle. But only because I stare at it everyday. If this were a BMW forum, someone would slap that tired "Predator' picture up right now to combat that last 'nice' photo. And it's still hard to defend against it. 2nd gen GS was the GOAT (admitted bias)

Not a BMW fan by any means but design-wise I know when I see an M and I like it.

The RC 350 from the rear is stunnngly awful to look at.

I'm hoping there are quite a few design people to get fired before (if) the GS-F comes to market.
Old 12-10-14, 12:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I wasn't sold on the RC spindle initially, but that grill looks better than the 3IS, and makes the spindle on the current GS looks tame and lame
Old 12-10-14, 01:17 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's wrong with "predator" face? On the contrary that is good, it eats Germans (well it should).
Old 12-10-14, 01:43 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The angle for the photo has a major impact on the presentation. I absolutely loved it in person. In the beginning, I was taken aback.
Attached Thumbnails RC F automotive reviews thread-grille-1.jpg   RC F automotive reviews thread-grille-2.jpg   RC F automotive reviews thread-grille-3.png  
Old 12-10-14, 04:40 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SOM3
Listen there guy, the car is either faster or not. End of story. I don't know why you keep typing the same argument over and over over and over.
We can ease up on this point. Two sources point to a faster Closed circuit track run for the RCF in the Motown Mile and the AMCI.

This is not definitive, but it points to the benefits of a TVD on a RWD car.

It remains to be seen if the RCF can hold onto this position. Other tracks will soon follow I am sure.
Old 12-10-14, 04:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by SOM3
Listen there guy, the car is either faster or not. End of story. I don't know why you keep typing the same argument over and over over and over.
I thought you said you were leaving? So you decided to come back?

What 4tehnnguyen is saying is 100% correct. 3/10ths of a second difference with an additional $10,000 carbon ceramic brakes on the M4 is 100% driver's race. Even if I ignore the carbon ceramic brakes and its lighter rotational mass, 3/10th is a photo finish. Both cars would almost be crossing the finish line at the same time.

Even Randy Pobst despite being a professional race of decades, could not get more than 3/10ths better time out of the M4. Almost all of the buyers will never have skills remotely comparable to those of Randy Pobst so that 3/10th difference is completely insignificant as they will never be able to see that on the track.

RC-F was able to put down a better lap time than the M4 without carbon ceramic brakes at the Motown mile (Road and track). Since they both had most likely different journalists drivers, it illustrates my point that the difference is insignificant and comes down to the driver.

Did I mention, M4 needed optional carbon ceramic brakes to squeeze out the extra 3/10ths?

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-10-14 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-10-14, 05:30 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I thought you said you were leaving? So you decided to come back?

What 4tehnnguyen is saying is 100% correct. 3/10ths of a second difference with an additional $10,000 carbon ceramic brakes on the M4 is 100% driver's race. Even if I ignore the carbon ceramic brakes and its lighter rotational mass, 3/10th is a photo finish. Both cars would almost be crossing the finish line at the same time.

Even Randy Pobst despite being a professional race of decades, could not get more than 3/10ths better time out of the M4. Almost all of the buyers will never have skills remotely comparable to those of Randy Pobst so that 3/10th difference is completely insignificant as they will never be able to see that on the track.

RC-F was able to put down a better lap time than the M4 without carbon ceramic brakes at the Motown mile (Road and track). Since they both had most likely different journalists drivers, it illustrates my point that the difference is insignificant and comes down to the driver.

Did I mention, M4 needed optional carbon ceramic brakes to squeeze out the extra 3/10ths?
CCB's arent gonna make a difference in a hot lap. during a whole race...yes. but there's no real benefit in CCB in a single timed lap...
Old 12-10-14, 05:46 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

The engine torque required to accelerate the spinning rotor and the brake torque required to decelerate the spinning rotor is reduced by 75%, according to experts on CCBs.

This extra torque is used to accelerate and slow the car...right?

One lap or not, it would not take much to gain 3 tenths in a lap by reducing this rotational weight. This can be defined as a performance gain.

Thoughts?
Old 12-10-14, 06:24 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISF001
The engine torque required to accelerate the spinning rotor and the brake torque required to decelerate the spinning rotor is reduced by 75%, according to experts on CCBs.

This extra torque is used to accelerate and slow the car...right?

One lap or not, it would not take much to gain 3 tenths in a lap by reducing this rotational weight. This can be defined as a performance gain.

Thoughts?
Do we know how much the standard rotor on the M4 weighs compared to the CCB? That would determine if the 75% assumption is correct, no?
Old 12-10-14, 06:30 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wanted to subscribe.....
Old 12-10-14, 06:46 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
Do we know how much the standard rotor on the M4 weighs compared to the CCB? That would determine if the 75% assumption is correct, no?
Rick I've posted a link to a multi page discussion on those brakes in another thread in this forum. I'll suggest we don't take the rcf reviews thread off with a detailed dissection of m4 brakes
Old 12-10-14, 07:12 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Rick I've posted a link to a multi page discussion on those brakes in another thread in this forum. I'll suggest we don't take the rcf reviews thread off with a detailed dissection of m4 brakes
thanx, Dave!!!

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread