RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 04:35 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who said discounted heavily--my friend, you are really dreaming.

Also, who the h_ll are some of these "drivers?" In one of the videos, it is apparent that he is not even driving in the sport+ mode.

Blind leading the blind...
Old 09-05-14, 05:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i can see where the weight comes from. Take note that the RCF is actually 1.7" longer than the 3IS, its definitely wider, then add in V8 and TVD. 3IS weighs over 3650# already. Earlier in a post they said the TVD alone adds 70#. Then consider that the ISF was 3800#, shorter and less wide than the RCF with no TVD.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-05-14 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-05-14, 07:43 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Evo magazine review .

Lexus RC F review, prices and specs
Rating: 3.5/5

By Jethro Bovingdon

Can Lexus’ rival to the BMW M4 capture some of the brilliance of their LFA supercar and upset the established German rivals?

What is it?

This is Lexus’ M4 – a pumped-up coupe with a thumping 471bhp and a distinctive and seriously aggressive look. It follows on from the excellent IS-F and is inspired by the simply breathtaking LFA… so it might just be a car to take the fight to the new BMW M4. The RC F costs from £59,995, over £3000 more than the BMW, but comes loaded with kit. The RC F Carbon saves 10kg, gets shiny black weave for the bonnet, roof and active rear spoiler plus more alcantara for the interior and a trick torque vectoring rear differential for £67,995. If you don’t fancy the bare carbon bonnet (it does look a bit Fast and Furious) but like the sound of the diff then it’s available as an option on the standard car, too.

Technical highlights?

Unlike BMW the people of Lexus have kept the faith with atmospheric engines. No turbos here, just 4969cc of pure V8 goodness. This approach nets a mighty 471bhp at 7100rpm and 391lb ft from 4800-5600rpm. Lexus claim 0-62mph in 4.5 seconds and a top speed of 168mph. As with the IS-F, the V8 drives through an 8-speed automatic box and a torsen limited-slip differential or that torque-vectoring unit that works by actively pushing power to the wheel with the most grip, not simply braking an inside wheel as most other systems do.

There’s so much more: Four mode VDIM (vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management, which manipulates ABS, VSC and TRC) including an ‘Expert’ mode that only steps in to prevent a spin. You can also opt to switch it off altogether. The torque vectoring diff has a further three modes: Standard, Slalom and Track and the drivetrain can be tailored with Normal, Sport S, Sport S+ and Manual modes… Then there’s the new 6-piston 380mm front brakes, the V8’s ability to switch to the Atkinson cycle for efficiency. The list goes on. And on.

What’s it like to drive?

We tried the car on the fantastic Monticello Motor Club circuit near New York and the roads nearby. The former is a seriously tough environment to launch any new car but with ‘F’ signifying the Fuji Speedway and lots of talk of ‘race ready’ performance the RC F should shine here.

Sadly it doesn’t and its weight is the reason why. The RC F is a chunky 1765kg and it feels every one of those on the circuit. The brakes cope pretty well but are groaning within a handful of really hard laps, the car is slightly clumsy on turn-in and understeer sets in quickly and that engine – which sounds fantastic and promises so much – feels overly burdened. It never feels the full 471bhp and simply doesn’t deliver the instant, bruising torque you’d hope to find. Nor does it sparkle at the top end… It’s all a little underwhelming.

On the road things are much better. The steering is really nicely weighted and fluid and seems well tuned to the car’s reactions as it tackles a series of corners. Grip and traction feel strong, the ride is pretty supple and the gearbox might not be dual-clutch precise but does a pretty effective job. But still it doesn’t really feel fast or alive to your inputs. It’s fun but somehow not very exciting.

Fortunately it’s a lovely place to be with a really cool interior despite a few scratchy plastics in places. The seats are great but set slightly too high and overall it feels pretty special, helped when the V8 gives it the full bellow above 3800rpm. But special enough to overcome its dynamic shortcomings? I don’t think so. On a bumpy, wet road in the UK I suspect it’ll be more fun but I can’t believe it will transform from slightly reluctant to breathlessly exciting… And that’s a disappointment.

How does it compare?

Let’s discount the pretty horrid RS5, which leaves the BMW M4 and the forthcoming C63 AMG with the new 4-litre twin-turbocharged V8. On paper the RC F is right on the money, but it’s simply outclassed by the M4 and we suspect that the next C63 will feel much, much faster with its new torque-rich engine. We had high hopes for the RC F but unless it’s transformed by a bit of UK-spec Super Unleaded and gets some serious chassis tweaks to help disguise its weight then it can only be judged a missed opportunity.

Anything else I need to know?

The optional TVD torque vectoring diff is seriously clever, utilising two electric motors to control the pressure on a corresponding multi-plate clutch. The motors can be adjusted every one-thousandth of a second to ensure the optimum flow of power to each wheel.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-05-14 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-05-14, 07:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

when you have engines with smooth power delivery you dont get the spine crushing feeling and is very deceptive of how fast you feel like you are going. If they wanted it to kick you in your seat like a turbocharged engine then they were expecting too much from NA. Id rather wait for real laptimes, with instrumentation and numbers not this "feel" nonsense. Of course a turbocharged car is going to "feel" faster
Old 09-05-14, 08:03 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I agree. Yaguchi san said he wanted a surging torque curve which surges upwards and onwards. That is means he never built a low end torque monster, but a car that will be fast on demand and have a high-strung character.

I am concerned about the criticism on the chassis and brakes (and of course, the weight). Ultimately, that would not be personally a deal breaker for me, but I want RC-F to win comparos against M4. So far, looks like that will not happen.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
when you have engines with smooth power delivery you dont get the spine crushing feeling and is very deceptive of how fast you feel like you are going. If they wanted it to kick you in your seat like a turbocharged engine then they were expecting too much from NA. Id rather wait for real laptimes, with instrumentation and numbers not this "feel" nonsense. Of course a turbocharged car is going to "feel" faster
Old 09-05-14, 08:22 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Jalopnik first drive.

http://jalopnik.com/2015-lexus-rc-f-...g-b-1630061612
Old 09-05-14, 08:28 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Disappointing.... but let's wait and see the comparos. That M4 is a torque monster.
Old 09-05-14, 08:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by obturator
Disappointing.... but let's wait and see the comparos. That M4 is a torque monster.
not from 5500-7500 rpm
Old 09-05-14, 08:33 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man... across the board, the reviews are ******* the weight of the car. I hate to say it, but from a media coverage perspective, this seems like Lexus' least successful/positive release since before the 3GS. I hate saying that, too.

It needed to be ~3,700 - 3,800 lbs, not 4,000.
Old 09-05-14, 08:33 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by obturator
On the low end, yes like any turbo engine. However, torque curve is plummeting hard after 6000 rpm. Check the official dyno.
Old 09-05-14, 08:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dojoman
its a dead giveaway to a biased article with the title "2015 Lexus RC F: The World's First V8-Powered Drifting Beluga Whale" Then later calling it a cartoon car

Steering is lifeless and bland, but it is accurate.
yea ok, how are you able to be accurate when its lifeless and bland
Old 09-05-14, 08:45 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Aussie review

http://www.caradvice.com.au/305414/lexus-rc-f-review/
Old 09-05-14, 08:48 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Not all of them. Jalopnik called it the best Lexus they have driven this side of the LFA. Another reviewer called it the best car in the class.

First came the Lexus IS F, then the LFA supercar, and now the latest of its creations, the Lexus RC F, is its best yet.

We mean best not because it’s better than a Lexus LFA – that would be ludicrous – but because the brand seems to have finally found that perfect balance between being Japanese – inherently conservative – with the unwavering demands of western wants and needs.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Man... across the board, the reviews are ******* the weight of the car. I hate to say it, but from a media coverage perspective, this seems like Lexus' least successful/positive release since before the 3GS. I hate saying that, too.

It needed to be ~3,700 - 3,800 lbs, not 4,000.
Old 09-05-14, 08:54 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

yea ok, how are you able to be accurate when its lifeless and bland

It's steering feel they're referring to. Some cars have dead-on accurate steering, but they don't transmit feedback from the road as well. Steering feel is quite subjective.
Old 09-05-14, 09:12 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

The Lexus reputation precedes it--hence, the bias review.

Steering is not lifeless and bland or without feedback. Well, not in the new generation Lexuses. Try driving a current 3/4 series.

I can't argue against the weight. The RCF weighs more than my GS. This will be its downfall, IMO.

I was hoping the RCF would outperform the M4 but it's not looking good. That car is a torque monster with substantial less weight (even with the torque curve falling at over 6k--Chris Harris didn't complain). Let's wait for the comparos to come out. Will it overthrow the M4? Hoping but not betting on it.

With that said, the RCF will still be a sales success. Styling is subjective and Lexus sales have indicated that the general public likes it.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread