RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Yaguchi Hints at "Continual Evolution" for RC F

Old 09-01-14, 04:58 PM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yaguchi Hints at "Continual Evolution" for RC F

Intriguingly, he did concede there was more power to be eked from the engine, without resorting to forced induction.

“We think we can get a little more out of it,” he said.

“It’s really about increasing the rpm to be able to gain more horsepower, so if we were to increase the rpm then we would have to look at using what components to be able to meet the rpm increase… so at that time we would also have to review the cost etcetera. So right now it is set.”

Yaguchi made the point that continual evolution of the RC F follows the path of its IS F sedan predecessor, which he also chief engineered.

“That car actually had some model changes each year and that would most likely happen with the RC F,” he confirmed.
Seems like the RC F will receive the same annual treatment the IS F got during its model run. Does that discourage anyone(not me), knowing the 16' or 17' may come with noticeable improvements over the 15'? Just seeing what you guys think.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/spor...ter-rc-f-45711

Also, 2 other good reads from the same website concerning future F models and why hybrid F model may not come for a while
Lexus Rules Out CT F and NX F
Lexus F Studies Hybrid

Last edited by iggyhop9; 09-01-14 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 05:05 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it could get a bump in power if used in another car. Then it could go higher in the future of the RC F also.
Old 09-01-14, 05:13 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iggyhop9
Seems like the RC F will receive the same annual treatment the IS F got during its model run. Does that discourage anyone(not me), knowing the 16' or 17' may come with noticeable improvements over the 15'? Just seeing what you guys think.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/spor...ter-rc-f-45711

Also, 2 other good reads from the same website concerning future F models and why hybrid F model may not come for a while
Lexus Rules Out CT F and NX F
Lexus F Studies Hybrid
I would never buy a car if I worried about this stuff. Let's face it, the 2008 ISF owners love their cars as much as the 2012 + owners.
Old 09-01-14, 05:15 PM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Hell, might as well throw this tidbit in there too:

Most significantly, Leupen said development of what he called a manual-shift gearbox for the new generation RC F/IS F drivetrain was underway. He also mentioned development of hybrid technology for the next generation IS F using a manual-shift gearbox.

"That car might be two or three years away but when it does come you will find it has been developed by TMG," he said.
From the hybrid related article.
Old 09-01-14, 05:20 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iggyhop9
Hell, might as well throw this tidbit in there too:

From the hybrid related article.
I am not surprised by this at all. However, there is a limited market for true manual trannies--people talk about it but when it comes to forking out the cash to buy the manual, they walk on by.
Old 09-01-14, 05:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

OMG! He hinted at a higher revving RC-F (possibly 8000 rpm from a 5.0 Liter V8?). That would be so cool!
Old 09-01-14, 05:48 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
OMG! He hinted at a higher revving RC-F (possibly 8000 rpm from a 5.0 Liter V8?). That would be so cool!
I don't know how to calculate piston speed but I think 8000 rpm from the RC-F motor is probably not ideal. If it indeed has the same bore and stroke as the ISF, since they use the same engine code and all; that would make actual piston speed way too fast. That will greatly decreases the reliability for a street car. I think Lobuxracer talked about this on the ISF forums.
Old 09-01-14, 05:50 PM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ISF001
I am not surprised by this at all. However, there is a limited market for true manual trannies--people talk about it but when it comes to forking out the cash to buy the manual, they walk on by.
Amen.
I was raised on an automatic(04 Matrix) and don't even know how to expertly drive a manual, so you'll never see me clamoring for it. The younger generation is more likely to learn on autos. That percentage will only get bigger
Old 09-01-14, 05:53 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

only major changes I can see are engine power, maybe a DCT, suspension revision, or ECU tune. RCF is starting out way ahead of what the ISF had when it was released. I dont really see as drastic changes as the ISF got during its lifetime. We know theres a lot more hidden potential in the engine because SARD was able to do a 30-40 hp upgrade just from an ECY tune and it isnt even that aggressive of a tune.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-01-14 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 06:07 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
I don't know how to calculate piston speed but I think 8000 rpm from the RC-F motor is probably not ideal. If it indeed has the same bore and stroke as the ISF, since they use the same engine code and all; that would make actual piston speed way too fast. That will greatly decreases the reliability for a street car. I think Lobuxracer talked about this on the ISF forums.
Exactly right and it's extremely unlikely. You can get 8,500 out of an engine like the M838T (in the 12C for example), with smaller displacement, ie. lower piston mass.
Old 09-01-14, 06:19 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yaguchi san said increasing rpm to get more hp is the route he would go for.

The RC-F GT3 revs over 8000+ rpm already with the same engine. Makes 100+ HP/Liter N/A. 540 PS from the same 5.0 Liter V8. The engine is capable of revving much higher. The only question is, whether the auto transmission is capable of handling revs that high or an automated transmission is required.
Old 09-01-14, 06:34 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The RC-F GT3 revs over 8000+ rpm already with the same engine. Makes 100+ HP/Liter N/A. 540 PS from the same 5.0 Liter V8. The engine is capable of revving much higher. The only question is, whether the auto transmission is capable of handling revs that high or an automated transmission is required.
LOL. That's a hand-built engine, not a mass produced lump. Not to mention, serviced/inspected by race engineers before/after every outing.
Old 09-01-14, 09:50 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

street car

Originally Posted by TimboIS
LOL. That's a hand-built engine, not a mass produced lump. Not to mention, serviced/inspected by race engineers before/after every outing.
Yep, not only that dry sump will be required; it's not even a street car/motor anymore. That's why I mentioned "street car". Not that it's can't be done, it's probably will be very expensive. Plus it probably won't have the 200k+ reliablilty that we comes to love Toyota/Lexus products. I believe Audi 4.2 RS motor is the current highest factory piston speed right now 25.7m/s at 8250rpm

Here is what Lobuxracer said, I tend to trust his automotive knowledge more than almost anyone on tthis board.
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Very unlikely to be a problem unless the valve springs are some of the defective ones. It's pretty hard to float 4 valve per cylinder set ups under 8k rpm, and mean piston speed at 8k rpm in our engine is absurdly high. At 6800 rpm, mean piston speed is 20.29 m/sec which is a little more than 10% higher than what most manufacturers believe to be highly reliable. At 8000 rpm, mean piston speed is 23.87 m/sec which is approaching the limits of the highest revving factory engines. The other important factor is rod length to stroke ratio because it determines maximum acceleration on the piston which I believe will be the biggest problem with the 2UR's OEM parts. The rocker arms and the valves are so light, float is about the last thing I'd be worried about under 8k rpm. BTW, the most aggressive factory engines have ~25.3 m/sec mean piston speed. The 2UR-GSE is at 8480 rpm when it hits that speed.

Last edited by MK4Sup_isF; 09-01-14 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 10:27 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mercedes did 6800 with a 6.2L motor though, I have high expectations for Lexus.
Old 09-01-14, 10:47 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eoph
Mercedes did 6800 with a 6.2L motor though, I have high expectations for Lexus.
RC-F already revs up to 7300 rpm (rev limit at 7450 rpm).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yaguchi Hints at "Continual Evolution" for RC F