RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F has LDH (4 wheel steering)?

Old 03-07-14, 02:08 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RC F has LDH (4 wheel steering)?

Anyone notice on the following photo that the RC F look to have the same Lexus Dynamic Handling LDH 4 wheel steering offered on the RC 350 F-Sport?

Chu...
Attached Thumbnails RC F has LDH (4 wheel steering)?-1908234_10152294888099310_1130476582_n.jpg  
Old 03-07-14, 04:15 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd hope it would. It would seem silly not to include it on your top line coupe.
Old 03-07-14, 07:39 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Good catch!

So it has both Torque Vectoring Rear differential AND 4 wheel Steering ( LDH).
Old 03-26-14, 06:34 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts

It would be nice if Lexus would officially announce that the RC-F has rear wheel steering like they already have with the RC F-Sport Plus model. I find the lack of information regarding the RC-F and LDH a bit troubling, especially since I read this quote from a recent Lexus Enthusiast article on an interview with IS chief engineer Junichi Furyama:

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/03/2...ailable-japan/

“All-wheel drive tends to be heavier and the behaviour tends to be understeer,” he explained via an interpreter. “Also in the cornering, the vehicle doesn’t respond to the driver’s intention. So I think FR (front-engine rear-wheel drive) base is better and with this system you can turn the steering wheel at the corner more naturally.”

Intriguingly though, while DRS and LDH was judged suitable for F Sport models, Furyama said it wouldn’t feature on future higher-performance cars such as the next IS F.

“The objective of LDH is for a certain level of drivers who are enthusiastic drivers, but not necessarily professional drivers, and they should be able to drive well with LDH. On the other hand the drivers of F like to do the drifting while driving on the circuit. So what we are targeting is different.

“It’s one of the things we are looking at. It’s not to say it won’t come but it’s a model by model thing and we have to look at the cost as well. It’s not a particularly cheap thing so it’s a case of what the market is prepared to pay.”
Hopefully, since the vehicles being discussed were the 3IS and next IS-F models, maybe the comment regarding LDH doesn't apply to the RC-F (especially with the photo posted by the OP showing the RC-F with LDH).

Last edited by redspencer; 03-26-14 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-27-14, 06:11 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

maybe its not compatible with the TVD? Also begs the question if rear wheel steering helps how come more cars dont have them?
Old 03-27-14, 11:45 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

The plate could very well be the top side shield of the rear steering unit.

I see no problem on having both systems working together..

Also, the RC F seems to possibly have two sets of Rear Springs. This is the second time I have seen them.
I highlighted both on each side..

Take a look at the clear detailed shot I have here:

~ Joe Z
Attached Thumbnails RC F has LDH (4 wheel steering)?-joe-z-rcf.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-27-14 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-08-14, 06:56 AM
Furge
Rookie

This is NOT a rear steering unit, although it looks like one.
look at the suspension mounts, specifically where the rear wheel knuckles attach to the upper wishbone.
What do you see? There is no way for the knuckle to rotate, so the rear wheels cannot be steerable.

So what is that mysterious box with the tie rods coming out of it? Some kind of adjustable suspension, coupled with the TVD??
Old 04-08-14, 07:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Furge
This is NOT a rear steering unit, although it looks like one.
look at the suspension mounts, specifically where the rear wheel knuckles attach to the upper wishbone.
What do you see? There is no way for the knuckle to rotate, so the rear wheels cannot be steerable.

So what is that mysterious box with the tie rods coming out of it? Some kind of adjustable suspension, coupled with the TVD??
Might be something to do with the TVD as you stated...
Old 04-11-14, 08:03 PM
Furge
Rookie

I actually do think that is a rear wheel steering rack, it must be.

Rear wheel steering has obviously been developed, and is available on the RC 350 F-sport; but for the F this is another option that Lexus is not offering in order to meet a price point (read: maximize profits). See my other posts - I really am getting tired of how Toyota forces us to get these pre-packaged, one-size-fits-all options.

I want the RC F with a moonroof, TVD, and rear wheel steering.
Nope. Not going to happen.
But wait -- I can get the lesser RC 350 F sport with the moonroof and rear wheel steering… but moonroof on the F only without the TVD. And no rear wheel steering at all -- at least for now, the chief engineer hinted that it may come later. I guess for a mid-cycle refresh.
Old 04-12-14, 01:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Rear wheel steering has obviously been developed, and is available on the RC 350 F-sport; but for the F this is another option that Lexus is not offering in order to meet a price point (read: maximize profits). See my other posts - I really am getting tired of how Toyota forces us to get these pre-packaged, one-size-fits-all options.

But wait -- I can get the lesser RC 350 F sport with the moonroof and rear wheel steering… but moonroof on the F only without the TVD. And no rear wheel steering at all -- at least for now, the chief engineer hinted that it may come later. I guess for a mid-cycle refresh.
it is not going to happen because chief engineer of RC-F does not think your way. He sees RC-F as way to maximize having fun in the car, and not a bunch of checkboxes on option sheet. It has nothing to do with pricing at all.

He clearly said that he wanted RC-F to be playful and break easily, this will not happen with RDS and it wont be on RC-F.

Same goes for moonroof, no extra weight on the top of the car.

It is not harsh as it sounds though, i think once you drive it, you will forget all about acronyms. In the end, all that matters is how the car drives - not how many acronyms you can check on the option sheet (or not). I imagine if it sucks, then it wont matter what are the options or the price... on the other hand, if it is great....
Old 04-12-14, 01:05 PM
LexFather

We do not know why the RC F does not offer RWS yet. Let me remind you the last gen M5 doesn't
Rear steer but the 550 did. Apparently the M engineers felt it wasn't what they wanted.

So there are methods behind the madness and it's not all related to "cost cutting".
Old 04-12-14, 02:49 PM
Furge
Rookie

I did read an interview where the chief engineer said it may come later (4WS).
Agree that it's all about how it drives.
I hope it will work as a comfortable daily driver too… if they are building a track-only car with an ultra-stiff suspension, it's not going to be a big success.
Another gripe - the adjustable dampers are not being offered.

I actually DO think (And I used to be a Toyota Engineer, working in Japan), that it IS about cost and meeting margin requirements.

You'll see that in Japan they will offer 4WS, and a moonroof with the TVD.
Obviously, they made one with the 4WS, as this image shows it.
Old 04-12-14, 11:30 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is not going to happen because chief engineer of RC-F does not think your way. He sees RC-F as way to maximize having fun in the car, and not a bunch of checkboxes on option sheet. It has nothing to do with pricing at all.

He clearly said that he wanted RC-F to be playful and break easily, this will not happen with RDS and it wont be on RC-F.

Same goes for moonroof, no extra weight on the top of the car.

It is not harsh as it sounds though, i think once you drive it, you will forget all about acronyms. In the end, all that matters is how the car drives - not how many acronyms you can check on the option sheet (or not). I imagine if it sucks, then it wont matter what are the options or the price... on the other hand, if it is great....
Most sensible and balanced thing I read in a while.