RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF Weight

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 01:16 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RCF Weight

I must say I was quite interested especially with power increase over ISF. But, I still cannot understand why they would neglect weight even thought they said it will handle well. I mean power to weight ratio is monumental for a sports car. 0-60 times, 1/4 times, head 2 head on the street track, etc...Im just a bit flabbergasted that weight is even higher than the ISF.
Old 01-23-14, 01:21 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

same length as 2IS
wider than 2IS
torque vectoring diff
bigger brake rotors and calipers
active rear wing

none of these are going to make it lighter.
Old 01-23-14, 01:35 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new M4 is also bigger than the last M3.
Dropping the V8 only helped it save 22 lbs.
The problem is Lexus doesn't look to reduce weight.
Kinda disappointing, considering the ISF CSS-R's biggest mod was a huge drop in weight.
Old 01-23-14, 01:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

How about worrying about weight when 1. actual vehicle stats are released and 2. when you can actually experience the drive and see for yourselves if the curb weight is an issue.

Pictures and talk are just that.. pictures and talk

No one seems to be complaining that the C63 AMG Coupe weighs 3,935lbs or the RS5 coming in at 4,039lbs
Old 01-23-14, 02:07 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
No one seems to be complaining that the C63 AMG Coupe weighs 3,935lbs or the RS5 coming in at 4,039lbs
C63 AMG is 451hp, weighs almost the same as the IS F, 6.2L engine…come on…the thing is a beast.

The RS5 also has a full AWD system.

Weight is a big deal and the guys who know this is a factor. BMW gets it…new car is bigger, more power, weighs the same. Porsche constantly releases cars that are bigger, more powerful, safer, better fuel economy, and always holds their weight around 3400lbs
Old 01-23-14, 02:15 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

How about worrying about weight when 1. actual vehicle stats are released and 2. when you can actually experience the drive and see for yourselves if the curb weight is an issue.

Pictures and talk are just that.. pictures and talk

I agree let us wait for the official weight and power figures. I think Lexus acknowledges that this car is going to be a porker, thus, the introduction of the Carbon package. But even then, we do not even have a hint of weight of the the Carbon version..
Old 01-23-14, 02:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
C63 AMG is 451hp, weighs almost the same as the IS F, 6.2L engine…come on…the thing is a beast.

Weight is a big deal and the guys who know this is a factor. BMW gets it…new car is bigger, more power, weighs the same. Porsche constantly releases cars that are bigger, more powerful, safer, better fuel economy, and always holds their weight around 3400lbs
bmw probably got it on the new m4, but on the m5 it's a pretty damn heavy car (noticeably heavier than e60) and i don't think anyone can deny it, let alone the driving experience hasn't impressed a lot of the press.

people blame the new f10 since it's based on the 7 series so it's heavier. the rc is based on the gs chassis so naturally we see the same problem

don't get me wrong lighter is always better imho, and that's one thing i don't like about the rc f. but just saying bmw doesn't really get it all either. their m4 is nice, their m5...
Old 01-23-14, 03:13 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Before people lose their minds on the weight...

The RC F is only projected to be less than 188 lbs heaver than the IS F.

The RC F is longer & wider compared to IS F ..

Bigger Wheels, Bigger Tires.. etc etc..etc.. It all adds up..

~ Joe Z

Attached Thumbnails RCF Weight-capture-isf.jpg  
Old 01-23-14, 03:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

You're forgetting one thing though. These are still Luxury badges, they have to retain some level of refinement otherwise you might as well go get yourself a Evo, SRT8 or GT-R. The IS F is considerably more plush than the C63 and M3. Ever sit in a C63? The expanses of hard rough plastic is rather sickening and jumping back into the IS F you realize the plastics are softer, materials more pleasant. Granted it's the powertrain and brakes that makes the C63 special, but that's about it. Just spent a few hours this past weekend with the AMG and while it made nice sounds, and a smile on your face from it's straight line power, that smile turned into a frown from the poor rock hard lumbar and questionable controls, materials and ergonomics.
Old 01-23-14, 03:29 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus is a Lexus. Thats what people need to remember. Its not a decontented sportscar.
Old 01-23-14, 03:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

You're forgetting one thing though. These are still Luxury badges, they have to retain some level of refinement otherwise you might as well go get yourself a Evo, SRT8 or GT-R. The IS F is considerably more plush than the C63 and M3. Ever sit in a C63? The expanses of hard rough plastic is rather sickening and jumping back into the IS F you realize the plastics are softer, materials more pleasant. Granted it's the powertrain and brakes that makes the C63 special, but that's about it. Just spent a few hours this past weekend with the AMG and while it made nice sounds, and a smile on your face from it's straight line power, that smile turned into a frown from the poor rock hard lumbar and questionable controls, materials and ergonomics.
i think mb lag quite a bit on interior materials and design the past years. i think they are catching up though in the upcoming generations.
Old 01-23-14, 08:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TF109B
Lexus is a Lexus. Thats what people need to remember. Its not a decontented sportscar.
Amen….did they really think it was going to weigh 3000 lbs. Hell the IS 300 was 3300 lbs. An IS 300…did they expect this to weigh the same?

It seems to weigh as much as the old GS 400 but this has capabilities that car can only dream of.

A complete non-issue for me.

FYI that carbon fiber roof on BMWs and now the RC-F usually saves a whopping 8lbs
Old 01-23-14, 09:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

actually. C63 was weighted 3980lbs by insideline for 2012 model... ISF was weighted 3820lbs if i remember correctly, same mag.

so if you think C63 is a beast, there you go...
Old 01-24-14, 09:28 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
actually. C63 was weighted 3980lbs by insideline for 2012 model... ISF was weighted 3820lbs if i remember correctly, same mag.

so if you think C63 is a beast, there you go...
The C63 is a high-powered, somewhat heavy beast, and it is challenged with getting the hp to transfer to the track.

The ISF weighs 3,780 lbs--stock--200 hundred pounds less.

The 2011 ISF has already put down better track times than the C63 and matched the M3 time.
Old 01-24-14, 09:54 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
bmw probably got it on the new m4, but on the m5 it's a pretty damn heavy car (noticeably heavier than e60) and i don't think anyone can deny it, let alone the driving experience hasn't impressed a lot of the press.

people blame the new f10 since it's based on the 7 series so it's heavier. the rc is based on the gs chassis so naturally we see the same problem

don't get me wrong lighter is always better imho, and that's one thing i don't like about the rc f. but just saying bmw doesn't really get it all either. their m4 is nice, their m5...
I agree whole heartedly. I haven't driven a M5, but I don't think the M5 is designed for the level of performance of a M3/M3…I mean…you just can't…it's too big.

As far as MB/BMW interiors…I think all the german interiors are crap. I love how my IS F, after 5.5 years of owner ship, 118,000 miles on that leather seat, all the perforations on the leather are still in excellent condition. With my previous 2005 Acura TL, after 2.5 years, you couldn't even tell that the leather was perforated. It was cracking and starting to look like crap.

This Lexus interior has been the best that I've owned. I have no qualms with it what so ever.

Quick Reply: RCF Weight