RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Official RC-F Price Thread (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-16, 12:59 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 700 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Tang98
About to email some dealers. MSRP of about 74-75k. I'm gonna offer them 60k OTD. Hope this goes well lol
Let me know if you can find any!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-10-16, 05:36 PM
Tang98
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Let me know if you can find any!

-Josh
I called 3 dealers today. The first one said they would do 60k plus ttl. The other one said it was out of this world and he would be losing 15k if he sold it to me at that price. The last dealer was straight up rude. They all had about the same MSRP of 74k. I wasn't looking to buy unless I got the 60k OTD so I'm not buying lol
Old 04-10-16, 05:40 PM
yellow2112
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I called 3 dealers today. The first one said they would do 60k plus ttl. The other one said it was out of this world and he would be losing 15k if he sold it to me at that price. The last dealer was straight up rude. They all had about the same MSRP of 74k. I wasn't looking to buy unless I got the 60k OTD so I'm not buying lol
Maybe you've had luck emailing quotes and getting positive replies, but generally I find that the dealer wont even consider budging unless they see you a bit more of the hand you're holding.

Trade, cash, idea of credit score etc.

I emailed tons of places about the last 2 or 3 cars I've bought and not one of those so called, internet sales managers wanted anything to do with budging from MSRP. Was an utter waste of time.
Old 04-10-16, 05:55 PM
Tang98
Rookie

Originally Posted by yellow2112
Maybe you've had luck emailing quotes and getting positive replies, but generally I find that the dealer wont even consider budging unless they see you a bit more of the hand you're holding.

Trade, cash, idea of credit score etc.

I emailed tons of places about the last 2 or 3 cars I've bought and not one of those so called, internet sales managers wanted anything to do with budging from MSRP. Was an utter waste of time.
No I talked to them on the phone. The first guy was actually nice and I think I could've probably talked him down more from the price he gave me. When I mentioned the prices that people got on this forum to other two dealers. They told me that those cars were probably demos or damaged somehow. I said they weren't. But they refused believe me and talked to me rudely after. No dealer local to me had any. Maybe if they're still there in a few weeks I'll drive out to go talk to some face to face.
Old 04-10-16, 06:00 PM
yellow2112
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

No I talked to them on the phone. The first guy was actually nice and I think I could've probably talked him down more from the price he gave me. When I mentioned the prices that people got on this forum to other two dealers. They told me that those cars were probably demos or damaged somehow. I said they weren't. But they refused believe me and talked to me rudely after. No dealer local to me had any. Maybe if they're still there in a few weeks I'll drive out to go talk to them face to face.
Yeah, that sounds like about right to me. Esp if you call and say, "I saw some guy online get XXX for XXX dollars....gimme the same please" lol.

I've got a deposit on a 2015 until Tueday. Will see if my local dealer is willing to budge a bit more. I just need a BIT lower monthly to keep the wife off my back...
Old 04-10-16, 06:59 PM
Tang98
Rookie

Originally Posted by yellow2112
Yeah, that sounds like about right to me. Esp if you call and say, "I saw some guy online get XXX for XXX dollars....gimme the same please" lol.

I've got a deposit on a 2015 until Tueday. Will see if my local dealer is willing to budge a bit more. I just need a BIT lower monthly to keep the wife off my back...
Yeah I get that lol. I was talking to just a sales person for most of the dealers so that's probably why they didn't budge much. I just called another one and didn't even mention the forum. And he gave me 66.5k OTD with the MSRP being 73k. How are some of these people getting around 60k OTD????
Old 04-10-16, 07:08 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah I get that lol. I was talking to just a sales person for most of the dealers so that's probably why they didn't budge much. I just called another one and didn't even mention the forum. And he gave me 66.5k OTD with the MSRP being 73k. How are some of these people getting around 60k OTD????
Better negotiation skills and demonstrated they are ready to buy RIGHT NOW if the price is right. The last thing any dealer want is give you a bottom price so you can bring it to the next for a better price. They weren't born yesterday. I pulled 59.5k before ttl 2 month ago. Bet I can get the same car for at least 2 grand less now if I want to. Simple depreciation math.
Old 04-10-16, 07:16 PM
Tang98
Rookie

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Better negotiation skills and demonstrated they are ready to buy RIGHT NOW if the price is right. The last thing any dealer want is give you a bottom price so you can bring it to the next for a better price. They weren't born yesterday. I pulled 59.5k before ttl 2 month ago. Bet I can get the same car for at least 2 grand less now if I want to. Simple depreciation math.
Yeah I would sound a lot better in person. It's actually a lot better in person. This is the first time I've called a dealer to negotiate.I just didn't want to drive out an hour an a half plus so I decided to try calling.
Old 04-10-16, 08:32 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

^^^^I disagree. Before I retired, I was a supply chain manager (fancy name for a buyer or subcontracts manager). I negotiated multi-million $ contracts for a living.

Anyway I have not bought a car in person since the seventies. You, of course can never negotiate with just one call, It will probably take the better part of a week. But, if you know what you want, exactly what you want, you can negotiate with more than one dealer - probably best to talk with the fleet or internet manager.

The whole purpose of negotiating over the phone is that your not there, and they want you there. Once your standing at the dealer, they feel that gotcha, and are far less willing to deal, and may even let you walk.

If your on the phone and you reach an impasse, or you feel you can do better, tell them to think about it and call you back. In the past 2 years, I have bought 4 cars for friends and family.

Lou
Old 04-10-16, 09:18 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah I would sound a lot better in person. It's actually a lot better in person. This is the first time I've called a dealer to negotiate.I just didn't want to drive out an hour an a half plus so I decided to try calling.
DO NOT go in the dealership. What I meant was be more aggressive and not just 'quoting'. Say something in the nature of "give me your best number and get a pen for my credit card number for deposit". I helped negotiate or bought new three RAV4 (yes 3), two is250, rcf, gsxr 600, gsxs 750, DRZ, 4 series, 370z that way in the last few years with very handsome percentage discounts. Some dealers would just not deal, this method works best with volume dealers. Best luck
Old 04-10-16, 10:44 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 700 Likes on 614 Posts

What dealership offered $60k + TTL? Thats about $66k OTD, not too bad but can do better.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-11-16, 01:05 PM
Tang98
Rookie

Okay guys. I'm gonna set things straight with a dealer who offered me 62k plus ttl. They were so desperate they just wrapped the roof and spoiler in some clearlyfake carbon fiber. I'm gonna tell them 61k OTD period. Or should I go for 60k OTD?
Old 04-11-16, 01:20 PM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay guys. I'm gonna set things straight with a dealer who offered me 62k plus ttl. They were so desperate they just wrapped the roof and spoiler in some clearlyfake carbon fiber. I'm gonna tell them 61k OTD period. Or should I go for 60k OTD?
Is this the same vehicle that msrp $73k? If so, that's already a good deal. Clearly it's up to you. My time isn't worth haggling over a couple more days over $1k.
Old 04-11-16, 01:20 PM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^I disagree. Before I retired, I was a supply chain manager (fancy name for a buyer or subcontracts manager). I negotiated multi-million $ contracts for a living.

Anyway I have not bought a car in person since the seventies. You, of course can never negotiate with just one call, It will probably take the better part of a week. But, if you know what you want, exactly what you want, you can negotiate with more than one dealer - probably best to talk with the fleet or internet manager.

The whole purpose of negotiating over the phone is that your not there, and they want you there. Once your standing at the dealer, they feel that gotcha, and are far less willing to deal, and may even let you walk.

If your on the phone and you reach an impasse, or you feel you can do better, tell them to think about it and call you back. In the past 2 years, I have bought 4 cars for friends and family.

Lou
Nice to see another Supply Chain person on this forum! Congrats on retiring by the way! I still have another 35-40 years to go! Haha.

I agree 100%. I also negotiate agreements for a living, and you want to negotiate where you have the most leverage. Remember this quote... "In business as in life - you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate."

When you negotiate over e-mail and phone, the upperhand is with you. At the dealership, they often play the good cop/bad cop games and make you wait impatiently. They often also pressure you to make a decision on the spot. Over email, you can take time to think about your response and eloquently express your thoughts. You can be upfront with them that you're shopping around and would like to be as transparent as possible and ask that they do the same. They will understand that they are competing with other dealers and is dealing with a some-what savvy negotiator.

I'm only 26, and both my cars were negotiated online (and a couple of phone calls). For this RCF, I actually went to the dealership and gotten them to drop it even more.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-16, 01:23 PM
Tang98
Rookie

Originally Posted by equalme
Is this the same vehicle that msrp $73k? If so, that's already a good deal. Clearly it's up to you. My time isn't worth haggling over a couple more days over $1k.
62k is plus tax and everything. So in California that's like 66k+.

Quick Reply: Official RC-F Price Thread (Merged Threads)