RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

The new RC-F... sign me up

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 08:06 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by "that boy"
Sounds like better gas mileage as well, I hope the engine upgrades would be easy to swap over to the IS F... I would love to have the added hp/tq!
The Motor Trend article says, the engine internals have been reworked for more power at the top rpms and internals lightened to make it a proper high-revving engine with a top rpm heavy torque curve (as yaguchi san put it eloquently, "we developed the torque curve to be like mount Fuji).

The redline is at 7400 rpm (about 600 rpm higher than the IS-F) so the rev cut off would be around 7800 rpm. The engine is very different from the one in the IS-F.
Old 01-08-14, 08:09 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car has badass looking sporty body except for the front end. If they can close the wide spreading open mouth at the bottom and use the current IS F grill on the upper part then this car would look more classy. See how the BMW, MB & Audi fronts look w/o too much awkward funky design. All these new F sport spindle grill with wide spreading open mouth can't last for long.
Old 01-08-14, 08:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The Motor Trend article says, the engine internals have been reworked for more power at the top rpms and internals lightened to make it a proper high-revving engine with a top rpm heavy torque curve (as yaguchi san put it eloquently, "we developed the torque curve to be like mount Fuji).

The redline is at 7400 rpm (about 600 rpm higher than the IS-F) so the rev cut off would be around 7800 rpm. The engine is very different from the one in the IS-F.
Sounds like they shortened the stroke and widened the bore. It will be interesting to see exactly what they did when the specs are published.
Old 01-08-14, 08:28 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pics probably don't do it justice.... can't wait to see it at the NYC Auto Show this year!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-14, 08:39 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Excuse me, I will be right back to give my thoughts on this car, I have to go change my pants first....
Old 01-08-14, 08:59 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sounds like they shortened the stroke and widened the bore. It will be interesting to see exactly what they did when the specs are published.
Yes, the compression has been raised a lot. The compression is same as the LFA.
Old 01-08-14, 09:23 PM
RspSupra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wish the is f had a carbon fiber roof, digital gauge cluster, and turn signal side mirrors

now let's see what upgrades have they done to the motor, hopefully it can be swapped and upgraded to ours!
ditto that!
Old 01-08-14, 10:16 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Looks...different. I'm not sure I like it...maybe seeing it in person...

Figured the valvetrain/heads would be different after seeing the new redline. Probably more compression.
As stated before,it is a re-worked engine inside and out (sorry to burst the bubble of people hoping for swappable bolt ons). Much higher compression (now same as the Lexus LFA) with higher compression pistons, different internals lightened for lower friction for higher revs and higher flow headers for top rpm heavy powerband with a swelling torque like surge (according to Yaguchi san). Probably a shorter stroke and bigger bore. It will rev to redline a lot faster than the V8 in IS-F. Redline at 7400 rpm and probably rev cut off at 7600 - 7750 rpm.

Yaguchi san said that they purposely decided against a flat torque curve in favor of a steeply surging torque curve to give the driver a sense of never ending acceleration. I believe it will feel similar to IS-F till around 5000 - 5500 rpm and then go crazy over 6000 rpm screaming all the way to 7400 - 7750 rpm. The torque curve shape vision is said to be "using mount Fuji ascent for inspiration".

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...#ixzz2psaqhHXg

Of course, everyone really wants to know what’s under the hood. You’ll find the same cast-aluminum block that’s now doing business in the IS-F, but everything else about this DOHC 5.0-liter V-8 engine has been revised. Lightweight titanium valves are again matched with strong, forged connecting rods, but there are new cylinder heads that still incorporate variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust cams. The polished crankshaft is smaller in diameter to reduce friction, while the pistons reduce friction as well. Naturally the intake manifold and exhaust headers are new, and the exhaust barks with a sharper, louder note. The dynamometer numbers aren’t yet final, but we’re told that this engine spins faster than before to deliver at least 450 hp and 384 lb-ft of torque.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-08-14 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-09-14, 04:58 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

More details about the engine in the link below. Was surprised to hear the words Atkinson Cycle mixed in there! Apparently the compression ratio will be variable. Cool stuff!

"A switch to electric phasing on all four cams brings greater variability and precision, and lets the engine borrow the Prius' more efficient Atkinson cycle operation during low-demand cruising conditions."

"The ideal Atkinson cycle captures and compresses an amount of air that, when combusted and expanded throughout the entire power cycle, results in a cylinder pressure that's near atmospheric at the bottom of the piston's stroke, meaning the engine has wrung every bit of energy out of the fuel. Drop the hammer, and those valves shut in time to give you the full 12.3:1 compression (up from 11.8:1) and 5.0 liters of furious power — 480 horses' worth (up substantially from the IS F's 416)."

http://t.autos.msn.com/shows/detroit...f-first-look-1

Last edited by caymandive; 01-09-14 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-09-14, 06:01 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Like all new cars, it will simultaneously attract some all new buyers and turn off some of us former "F" fans. I predict that after the RC-F is seen out and about on the streets and showroom floors, many of the current ISF owners will come around a bit.

I personally like (not love, but like) it, and it is currently the front-runner to replace my current ISF, though I won't be lining up to get one and I will probably wait until at least the 2nd year of production before seriously considering the change. The ISF is still a special car, no matter if this RCF ends up with 480hp and is appreciably faster. Plus, I'm partial to the 4-doors.

And of course, the price is still the big mystery.
Old 01-09-14, 06:40 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ahhhhhhh... I got a major epiphany this morning..... I really want to upgrade to the RC-F but I can't spend $70K on a car right now. Guess I'll wait a few years til the used versions come out and depreciate.
Old 01-09-14, 06:49 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this thing is beautiful!
Old 01-09-14, 07:03 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Pics probably don't do it justice.... can't wait to see it at the NYC Auto Show this year!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe these are the first videos of the unveiled RC-F. I think it looks amazing in motion!

Last edited by redspencer; 01-09-14 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-09-14, 07:06 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ill most likely keep my isf and add this to the family, once I pay the isf off, ill wait a few years and get this.
Old 01-09-14, 07:11 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wish the IS F had a Carbon Fiber Roof, Digital Gauge Cluster, and Turn Signal Side Mirrors

Now let's see what upgrades have they done to the motor, hopefully it can be swapped and upgraded to ours!
why would you want to change the engine? how would isf engine be a upgrade?

Quick Reply: The new RC-F... sign me up