RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Xenon to Tri-LED Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 11:11 PM
AspireApex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon to Tri-LED Swap

Has anyone attempted this swap? I just bought a used 2015 RC350 F sport and saw that there were some used headlights for ~$1500 per side. Does the electrical wiring change and/or ballasts that are required? Thanks!
Old 03-25-17, 09:44 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AspireApex
Has anyone attempted this swap? I just bought a used 2015 RC350 F sport and saw that there were some used headlights for ~$1500 per side. Does the electrical wiring change and/or ballasts that are required? Thanks!
There are a number of changes that would need to be made beyond the headlights. The triple beam setup uses an entirely different light ECU, and you would need the RCF front swooshes as well. It's really not worth the $$.
Old 03-25-17, 10:29 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by AspireApex
holy damn that's expensive
Old 03-27-17, 01:46 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,568 Posts

The tri-LED likely also doesn't perform as well as the large HID projector. The IIHS rated the tri-LED as marginal or poor IIRC. very weak distance projection.
Old 03-27-17, 01:53 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by E46CT
The tri-LED likely also doesn't perform as well as the large HID projector. The IIHS rated the tri-LED as marginal or poor IIRC. very weak distance projection.
thats completely false. The tri-beams are very bright at night. Even lights up where the fog lights go
The following users liked this post:
blackbond (01-19-23)
Old 03-27-17, 02:08 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
thats completely false. The tri-beams are very bright at night. Even lights up where the fog lights go
"The beams are bright at night" doesn't back up your claim. Not even sure what the "lights up where the fog lights go" even means. I have over 15 years in light modding experience, including four full projector conversion/retfrofits using full OE/German/BMW/Lexus high-end equipment. No generic junk. I go full money big names when it comes to headlight conversions. (Just to give you an idea of my background)

Anyway, if you'd like to look at the science...

Distance rating for Lexus RC projector: 103/51m (left/right)
Distance rating for Lexus RC triple-LED: 66/33m (left/right)

The triple beam LED highbeams are also not as good.

Lexus Triple Beam LED Rated: Poor

Source: IIHS
Old 03-27-17, 02:21 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

"The beams are bright at night" doesn't back up your claim. Not even sure what the "lights up where the fog lights go" even means. I have over 15 years in light modding experience, including four full projector conversion/retfrofits using full OE/German/BMW/Lexus high-end equipment. No generic junk. I go full money big names when it comes to headlight conversions. (Just to give you an idea of my background)

i don't care what your background is. I'm going off actual users experience and not some paper numbers. When my tri-beam on the rcf lights farther and brighter than any of my friends IS OR RC (yes I tried it) on a dark stretch of highway, that equates it being superior.
blackbond (01-19-23)
Old 03-27-17, 02:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Guys I think this is a case of agree to disagree and move forward please.
Old 03-27-17, 06:03 PM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Ummm no. I have them. They are amazing.
blackbond (01-19-23)
Old 03-27-17, 07:37 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

This was debated on the RX forum too (regular vs. triple beam LED), but it was concluded that Lexus does a terrible job at the factory at aiming their lights which may contribute to the poor ratings. The lights can easily be aimed up.
Old 03-27-17, 07:45 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The performance of the standard projectors is much better lol. I would never perform this mod especially with the expense and needing different turn signal/DRL.
Old 03-28-17, 02:50 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I have the triple beam LEDs on my RCF as well. I can tell you without any doubt in total darkness on long stretches of country highways when I over take another car with just my low beams on, my RCF triple beam LEDs cast a very bright light forward as if the other vehicle's lights besides me on my right are not even there. When I approach semi trucks to pass on the left, they move further to the right and often riding the ruffles on the right side of road. When I pass them with my LX570, nothing.

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
Ummm no. I have them. They are amazing.
Old 03-28-17, 03:02 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

So I'm really wondering if you are that good? Better than all those "lighting engineers" at Lexus and Toyota HQ? Who do you work for? Yourself? ( Not to say that self employment is not good. Many GREAT MINDS quit their"JOBS" AND WORK FOR THEMSELVES AND BECAME GREAT COMPANIES WE ALL KNOW. But for many who tried only few are successful).

So unless you have concrete credentials to back up your claims, please don't knock on our triple beam LEDs. What degrees do you have? From which school? What design awards have you won? What professional association are you a member of? Have you won any "lighting" competitions? Even for a NON ENGINEER like myself, I can tell the difference when I can see further with this light versus some other lights.

The tests you referred to will need some additional third party validation. Too many other variables at play. For example miss aimed head lights at the factory.
​​​​​​

Last edited by lexusrus; 03-28-17 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 03:26 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

FWIW, both the single projector and triple beam headlights are LED. I also think it's all about aiming from factory.
Old 03-28-17, 03:09 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

When I turn on the high beams with my triple LEDs I can see the signs on the road light up as far as the eye can see. Sometimes that's 2-3 miles.... If they are "sub-par" then I don't need the best....

FWIW I have single HID beams in my RX350 and they are no match for the triple LED beams in my RC F. I have had HID beam vehicles for 10 years now. My 2007 350z had them too. None have been quite as bright.

If it's just the aiming of the low beams (which is probably what they using), that can be adjusted very easily. Heck, even the low beams are so bright that people are always flashing their brights at me. I pity the oncoming traffic when I'm driving in the rain. The light reflects off of the wet road and it's almost like my high beams are on.

How can 3 be worse than 1? Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Last edited by Davew77; 03-28-17 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Xenon to Tri-LED Swap