RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

DIY - RC F style front turn signals (for USDM)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-17, 09:58 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts
Default DIY - RC F style front turn signals (for USDM)

With this modification, you will be installing LEDs into your car's swoosh for similar functionality to that of triple LED headlight RC models (RCF).

Here is a vid of the lights in action:

PERFORM THIS MODIFICATION AT YOUR OWN RISK. This modification was performed on a USDM 2015 RC350 AWD. I am not liable for any damages when following this DIY. Please read and understand all steps before attempting on your vehicle. I work long hours at my day job, so expect delays if you message me with any questions.

You will need to order the following parts (or something similar).

1) 2 X Amber LED strips (1.64 ft). I tried strips from 4 different sources, and the ones linked below were the brightest. Do not order outdoor type. The strip color does not matter (I used black):
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more.../attributes/16

2) 2 X 12V relay. The one linked below is a mini-relay, with attached wiring (makes install easier), but they are not waterproof. If you use these relays you will be able to use some silicone to seal it up:
Amazon Amazon

3) 2 X Resistors for LED turn signals:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...g-fix/190/831/

4) Various wiring components (water resistant prefered): T-taps, blade connectors, butt connectors, 16 gauge wires, shrink wrap, and dielectric grease for wet climates. I also bought a set of waterproof connectors for the connection of the signals to the swoosh:
https://www.amazon.com/HIGHROCK-Waterproof-Electrical-Connector-Marine/dp/B016NV1PVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488157380&sr=8-2&keywords=waterproof+connector https://www.amazon.com/HIGHROCK-Waterproof-Electrical-Connector-Marine/dp/B016NV1PVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488157380&sr=8-2&keywords=waterproof+connector

5) As you are moving the turn signal from your headlight to the swoosh, you have the option of adding a running light to the old signal housing. I installed this bulb and it looks very at-home in the headlight. Really any 7443 LED bulb will work.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...car/1650/3806/

Tools needed:

1) Philips driver.
2) Torx safety driver.
3) Plastic pry tool (or kitchen knife).
4) Wire clipper/stripper/crimper.
5) Socket wrench set.
6) 9V battery (for testing).
7) Heat gun and or Oven @200 f.

Let's get started!

Remove the front bumper, then remove the swoosh lights:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...moval-diy.html

Disassemble the swoosh lights:

1) Remove the phillips screws around the edges of backside.

2) Remove the Torx screw from the frontside.

3) The lens is now held on by the tabs and a tar like gasket. You will need to either heat the light in the oven @200 f for 5-10 minutes, or use a heat gun to soften the gasket. Using a plastic pry tool, or a butter knife, work your way around the light releasing the tabs and prying the lens away from the gasket. This step will likely take you some trial and error.

4) With the lens now removed, tuck any loose gasket back into the trench. You will want the gasket intact for the reinstallation of the lens.

5) Remove the three philips screws holding the running light lens on, then remove lens. Remove the phillips screws holding the black LED plastic piece, and remove it as well. The screws from this and the next few steps have slight variance in lengths, try and keep them organized.

6) Remove the two phillips screws holding on the signal lens, unclip the lens, then remove the grey plastic portion behind the lens.

Install the LED strip

1) Your LED strip will have wires coming off both ends. You will only need one end to have wires. Begin peeling the backing off of the LED strip at the wire side (red arrow in image below) and affix the strip so the first LED sits squarely on the plastic step face. Continue to attach the LED strip down onto the face of each step of the plastic. It is critical that each of the LEDs face the light spreaders of the turn signal lens.

2) As you progress with sticking the LEDs to the step face, you will need to tuck a portion of the strip between the steps in order to keep the LEDs aligned.

3) Trim the extra slack of the LED strip, making sure to cut a proper section (labeled with tiny scissors on my strip).

4) Snap the clear signal lens back onto the grey plastic. Inspect the location of each of the LEDs to make sure they are as centered as possible on the light spreaders for the lens.
- Adjust the strip as necessary.

5) Trim off the connector from the LED strip wiring. Be sure to keep as much wiring as possible, just cut off the connector. Strip the wire ends and test out the lights using a 9V battery.
- Align your line of sight to the signal lens. You are looking for even lighting across the lens. Adjust the LEDs as close to the center of each lens spreader for the brightest, even light across the lens.

Reassemble the swoosh assembly

1) Run the newly installed LED strip's power wires through the back area of the shell, then out through the rear gasket, as you place in the turn signal assembly. I used a sharp knife to puncture a hole in the gasket, just large enough to snugly pull the new wires through.

2) Install the philips screws that secure the turn signal assembly into the swoosh shell.

3) Install the LED running light assembly and screws (use pics from step #5 of disassembly for reference).

4) Clean the swoosh lens, then install back onto the swoosh shell. First engage the plastic clips, then install the screws and tighten in a circular pattern.

5) Place the swoosh assembly back in the oven @200 f for 5-10 minutes to reseat the tar gasket. You may also use a heat gun.
- Clear silicone may be used around the light as an extra precaution. I did not do this step and have had zero moisture issues.

Wiring everything up

1) Start by finding the connectors, pictured below, under the driver's side headlight and remove any loom/wrap. We will be modifying the two leftmost wires in each connector.
- The passenger side wires will be a direct mirror of the drive'rs side.

2) These wires lead to the running lights (dim mode of the LED swoosh).
Install T-taps onto the two wires on my finger below:

3) These two wires lead to the turn signal bulb in the headlight housing
Cut these two wires near the location of my finger:

4) Install the clipped wires leading to the connector to the taps installed in step #2. This will connect the original turn signal bulb to the car's parking lights. We will use the other clipped wires to drive the new swoosh LED signal and control the switchback functionality with the bright daytime running light swoosh.

5) Install the relay. I placed my relay on the sheetmetal directly behind the connectors. Since these relays are not waterproof, I first filled the top and bottom of the shrink wrap with a good amount of clear silicone. The relays I used also have a handy tab with a hole for easy zip tie mounting.

6) Install the LED load resistor. I used high-temp zip ties and high temp double sided tape to ensure the unit stays secure; these can get hot depending on usage.

7) Now we will wire up the connector that will lead to your new LED turn signals.
- Connect each wire of the new connector (red & black) to a wire coming out of each side of the resistor, into the same side of two butt connectors (see image above). The resistor loop will keep the new LED signals from fast blinking.
- Wire up the opposite connector side to the new LED turn signal wire poking out the back of the swoosh. If the bumper needs to be removed in the future, a good set of connectors will go a long way to making life a bit easier.

8) Wire up the relay. Here is the diagram for the relay I used, please use it for connection references below:

- #85 - twist connect to the white +black stripe wire that was clipped in step #3.
- #86 - twist connect to the green wire that was clipped in step #3

Install the twisted wires into the other sides of the unconnected butt connectors. Make sure to connect the red #86 and green wire connection to the red wire of the turn signal connector. Black #85 and white +black stripe wire connection to the black wire of the connector.

- Locate the connector that connects to the Swoosh assemblies (white connector pictured above) and strip back the slit loom casing.
- Cut the wire that is separated out in the image below (black +white stripe).

- #30 - attach to one side of the wire cut in the last step.
- #87a - attach to the other side of the wire cut in the previous step.
- #87 - this wire is unused. Please be sure this wire will not short onto the car body, ie. cap it with shrink wrap or a butt connector.

TESTING

1) Scoot the removed front bumper close to the front-end of the car, so you can hook up the factory connector for the LED swoosh, and your newly installed LED turn signal connectors.

2) Function test both the turn signals and the LED and headlights.

* With the LED swoosh at day-time brightness: the turn signal will toggle the high brightness swoosh off when the signal is on. This creates a switch back effect that is very eye-catching. This is slightly different than the RC F functionality, in which the white LED turns off completely for the duration of the turn signal flashing. **with a delayed on timer-relay you could replicate stock function. You will need to research the delay install yourself though. Sorry.

* With the running lights and or the headlights on: the white LED swoosh is at low power (factory config) and the turn signal will operate without affecting any other lights.

Wash? Rinse? Repeat?

- If you have reached this point and your turn signals or relay are not working, please double check your wiring. Note: LEDs only allow light to move one way. Make sure all your positive/negative connections are in line.
- If you have reached this point and have not completed the passenger side, please run through the DIY again.
- If have reached this line, you've hopefully got everything installed and running. Reinstall your bumper and double test everything.

I'll try and keep this DIY up to date. Please let me know if you spot any errors or items that need revision.

Last edited by rcJten; 02-27-17 at 09:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
happy1977 (02-27-17)
Old 02-27-17, 01:47 PM
Arfboy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Great job! Thanks for the write up! I think I may try this in my spare time.
Old 02-27-17, 05:12 PM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that is a nice job on the DIY. Thanks for the time and effort to do this mod!
Old 02-28-17, 06:38 AM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Amazing DIY. I still have no clue why Lexus USA didn't bake these in out of the box for you guys.
Old 03-08-17, 11:42 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
Amazing DIY. I still have no clue why Lexus USA didn't bake these in out of the box for you guys.

Very cool mod...i too am disappointed Lexus didn't have the LED's switch back like this from the factory. I certainly would not bake/take my lights apart to do this but props to the DIY.
Old 03-08-17, 03:36 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by suvi2k
Very cool mod...i too am disappointed Lexus didn't have the LED's switch back like this from the factory. I certainly would not bake/take my lights apart to do this but props to the DIY.
Taking these lights apart is not too bad. Headlights are tougher. I was too OCD about the front signals, which is what drove me to attempt this mod. I might be a little crazy, but sometimes it pays off!
Old 09-20-21, 10:43 PM
Lexguy3391
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the scope of your modification and the skills to accomplish it, I'm sheepishly asking for a simple explanation of how to unclip the battery cable holders on the plastic battery cage located on the positive terminal side of the battery in a 2016 RC350 F Sport so that I can replace the battery without breaking the clips to do so.

Any help in this mundane effort (in comparison to your lighting mod) will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-20-21, 10:47 PM
Lexguy3391
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the scope of your modification and the skills to accomplish it, I'm sheepishly asking for a simple explanation of how to unclip the battery cable holders on the plastic battery cage located on the positive terminal side of the battery in a 2016 RC350 F Sport so that I can replace the battery without breaking the clips to do so.

Any help in this mundane effort (in comparison to your lighting mod) will be appreciated.

Thanks.