RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Loss in MPG after Service

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 05:44 AM
NichyNeato
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loss in MPG after Service

I recently took my RC in for 10k maintenance and as soon as I picked it up, I noticed a falloff in max MPG that I'm able to get. on my morning commute. In ECO mode, I can generally hit 33-35 mpg from driveway to parking at work. Since the service, on average now I'm getting a max of about 28mpg on my commute.

I called the dealership and they claim to have not hooked it up to any computers or to have done anything that could make this happen. but the change is so noticeable and started happening the second that I picked it up from them, that I can only believe they must have done something to cause this.

Anyone else run into similar issues?
The following users liked this post:
dbuilder (12-19-22)
Old 02-16-17, 06:59 AM
Katsumex
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually did run into something similar, they apparently updated my computers and now I'm able to drive for 4-5 days without filling up. I used to fill up every 2 - 3 days. Also dealerships are sometimes terrible, they had told me that my oil had been changed, I changed it yesterday myself and the oil did not look like it had only a thousand miles on it.

Also a month ago, they "inspected" my brakes and told me that I still had brake pads. I had bare minimum lol then they called me and told me that metal was touching the rotor (a lie to get me to pay the 400 they wanted to replace em).

Maybe they did hook it up, also things you may want to verify is the tire pressure as that can affect mpg etc...
The following users liked this post:
NichyNeato (02-16-17)
Old 02-16-17, 07:27 AM
NichyNeato
Rookie

Originally Posted by Katsumex
I actually did run into something similar, they apparently updated my computers and now I'm able to drive for 4-5 days without filling up. I used to fill up every 2 - 3 days. Also dealerships are sometimes terrible, they had told me that my oil had been changed, I changed it yesterday myself and the oil did not look like it had only a thousand miles on it.

Also a month ago, they "inspected" my brakes and told me that I still had brake pads. I had bare minimum lol then they called me and told me that metal was touching the rotor (a lie to get me to pay the 400 they wanted to replace em).

Maybe they did hook it up, also things you may want to verify is the tire pressure as that can affect mpg etc...
Thanks for the reply. At least your mileage improved! haha.

They did offer for me to bring it back for them to look at it, but I'm frustrated with them right now and refuse to take more time off work to have them fix their mistake that they wont even admit to. I imagine that if/ when I do take it back to them to look at, the mpgs will magically be back to what I used to but they will say that they didn't do anything to make it go back. I did consider things like tire pressure and the air filter, but they only added 2 psi from when I dropped it off (34 psi all-around to 36 psi) and they said they didn't touch the air filter

Yeah the maintenance was covered, otherwise I'd be done with them already based off my terrible first experience with the service dept there.
Old 02-16-17, 09:59 AM
Katsumex
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NichyNeato
Thanks for the reply. At least your mileage improved! haha.

They did offer for me to bring it back for them to look at it, but I'm frustrated with them right now and refuse to take more time off work to have them fix their mistake that they wont even admit to. I imagine that if/ when I do take it back to them to look at, the mpgs will magically be back to what I used to but they will say that they didn't do anything to make it go back. I did consider things like tire pressure and the air filter, but they only added 2 psi from when I dropped it off (34 psi all-around to 36 psi) and they said they didn't touch the air filter

Yeah the maintenance was covered, otherwise I'd be done with them already based off my terrible first experience with the service dept there.
I have one more maintenance with my dealership and after that it will all be my service lol.

Most dealerships are cooks to be completely honest. The mechanics are most definitely the nicest of people. Try and become friends with the chief mechanic, we talked about our older cars and such while I was showing him an issue with the car and now he just tells me how to fix whatever at a cheaper price. In the presence of the service adviser he was talking like a robot, the second he stepped away he started telling me the whole truth. Normally the mechanics are really cool people.
Old 02-16-17, 10:30 AM
forcaport7
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I noticed this after taking it in for an oil change once. I use to get around 26-27mpg and it has dropped to 21-23mpg... 23 if im lucky. Also I noticed that my "current mpg" meter has been stuck on 20 since I have gotten the car back. I need to ask them to reset the dash when I take it back next time.
Old 02-17-17, 11:06 AM
NichyNeato
Rookie

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wanted to post a quick update:

I usually run as low as I can before filling up, and I was down to about 20 miles this morning so I went ahead and filled my tank. I generally fill up at a name brand station close to my house, always with Premium as recommended to me.

As soon as I left the station, the mpg's went back to normal. I hit and maintained 33 mpg most of my commute today.
I have no idea if they put something in the tank or if something got reset after gas was added? No idea but this was my last free service that came with the car, so I wont be returning to the dealership to have any non- warranty work done to it.

Only 2 free services came with my car and both resulted in me returning a negative survey back to them. done with them