RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

White RC 350 F-Sport Stolen NNJ!

Old 02-16-17, 02:56 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
I know I've used LoJack for years. But Skylink allows for data logging, speed tracking, accelerometer reports, and a bunch of other things if you pay for the monthly access account, I got 2 years for free and it was what I used to prove the dealer shop foreman was hot rodding my car and speeding (85 in a 35 zone) when they had it for it's 5K service. I set the valet mode and started getting a ton of texts that my car was speeding, hard braking, and hard cornering, and the map showed it was all in a residential area.
Originally Posted by lexusrus
This is a good idea!!!

Not only for drooping the car for service, but also for like mandatory valet in some hotels and restaurants. Also good to have this when my kids take it out for a drive without me present.
While I can see the benefits from this service. I wonder what the cons may be? If I'm running down the highway at 175 MPH could I get busted without even getting pulled over? Not that I would do that...

I actually just got my first ticket since 2009. I got it on the 13th while driving through South Carolina at 4am in the morning. I still haven't checked my dash cam footage. But he said he got me at 100. That was the first time I ever had a police officer talking about jail for speeding, and I've had several tickets for over 100. I thought I was going... I'll never hit triple digits in SC again... The guys at work said they've known people who were taken in for 15 over the limit. I was double that.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to get tickets via mail...
Old 02-16-17, 03:50 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
While I can see the benefits from this service. I wonder what the cons may be? If I'm running down the highway at 175 MPH could I get busted without even getting pulled over? Not that I would do that...

I actually just got my first ticket since 2009. I got it on the 13th while driving through South Carolina at 4am in the morning. I still haven't checked my dash cam footage. But he said he got me at 100. That was the first time I ever had a police officer talking about jail for speeding, and I've had several tickets for over 100. I thought I was going... I'll never hit triple digits in SC again... The guys at work said they've known people who were taken in for 15 over the limit. I was double that.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to get tickets via mail...
how would you get busted? it's a private service where you are the only one that has access to the account/app and your car. it is registered via your VIN and your SkyLink account number. The police would have to have your VIN, account number, username, password, security code, and your phone in their possession to track you.

It's a GPS tracking system for stolen car recovery and valet/alternate driver monitoring.
Old 02-16-17, 04:03 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mjeds
how would you get busted? it's a private service where you are the only one that has access to the account/app and your car. it is registered via your VIN and your SkyLink account number. The police would have to have your VIN, account number, username, password, security code, and your phone in their possession to track you.

It's a GPS tracking system for stolen car recovery and valet/alternate driver monitoring.
That's why I'm asking.

I remember hearing about that GM tracking thing that was getting people nailed. I don't know how true it was. But I'm guessing the service would flag people over certain speeds and they would turn it over to the police. I don't know what the legalities are with these things.
Old 02-16-17, 07:47 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Potentially if you were in an accident and someone ask the court to subpoena your Skylink records. It will be a bad day for you if the Skylink records showed you were going 100mph just immediately before the accident.

Also potentially insurance company can get the Skylink data! I would think not unless you give them permission. Some insurance companies offer a discount if you AGREE to plug a small OBD device in your car. But this is only if you say yes.

Originally Posted by Davew77
That's why I'm asking.

I remember hearing about that GM tracking thing that was getting people nailed. I don't know how true it was. But I'm guessing the service would flag people over certain speeds and they would turn it over to the police. I don't know what the legalities are with these things.
Old 02-17-17, 01:40 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Some insurance companies offer a discount if you AGREE to plug a small OBD device in your car. But this is only if you say yes.
Yeah, I opt out of that. I know my rates will only go up.
Old 02-17-17, 01:56 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Potentially if you were in an accident and someone ask the court to subpoena your Skylink records. It will be a bad day for you if the Skylink records showed you were going 100mph just immediately before the accident.

Also potentially insurance company can get the Skylink data! I would think not unless you give them permission. Some insurance companies offer a discount if you AGREE to plug a small OBD device in your car. But this is only if you say yes.
guess they would have to know you have it first.

and they can get the same info from the Black Box, so semantics really.
Old 02-21-17, 10:07 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi all. My car was found exactly two weeks after it was stolen (yesterday). Surprisingly, the only body damage was to the right side mirror. The car was as complete mess. Filthy dirty throughout and cigarette ashes all over the interior. Oddly enough my wallet was inside with my DL. Sunglassess were untouched. Some other things were stolen. The thief left some of his clothes and sneakers in the trunk.

The police were able to make an arrest.

After picking up the car, it just didn't feel right and I was compelled to swap vehicles. I picked up an IS 300 AWD F-Sport in Atomic Silver / Red this evening and couldn't be happier. It was the only Atomic Silver / Red on the lot in the state, but the dealership was AMAZING and completely compassionate and made it happen within a few short hours. Was worried about a performance downgrade coming from the RC 350, but the 300 is plenty powerful and pleasing.

I really appreciate everyone's good faith and positive feedback! Just goes to show you that no matter where you are, or how comfortable you feel, you have to be on your guard. It's unfortunate and it sucks, but it's the world we live in. Lesson learned! Here are some pics of the new IS. Thanks again!

White RC 350 F-Sport Stolen NNJ!-is1.jpgWhite RC 350 F-Sport Stolen NNJ!-is2.jpgWhite RC 350 F-Sport Stolen NNJ!-is3.jpg

Last edited by FUZCO; 02-21-17 at 10:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (02-23-17)
Old 02-21-17, 10:30 PM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad to hear you recovered your car, sorry about the chaos. Your new ride looks quite stylish. Great choice! (Don't leave your keys in the car going forward! )
Old 02-21-17, 10:35 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
Glad to hear you recovered your car, sorry about the chaos. Your new ride looks quite stylish. Great choice! (Don't leave your keys in the car going forward! )
Yes! Lesson learned.
Old 02-22-17, 09:52 AM
alrozrc350
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Fuzco - Glad to hear the car was found. Best to you on your IS 300.
Old 02-22-17, 01:54 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alrozrc350
Hi Fuzco - Glad to hear the car was found. Best to you on your IS 300.
Thanks very much
Old 02-22-17, 02:11 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good that the issue was resolved. Curious why you would switch to an IS and not a new RC? Though I understand why you would want to get rid of your car that that point.
Old 02-22-17, 04:28 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

It's good to hear your car has been found. Your new IS looks great.
Old 02-22-17, 07:06 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

That happened to a friend of mine in Atlanta. His RX was stolen (from his driveway) when he left the RX key in his unlocked truck parked next to it. The police found it by the side of the road two weeks later, and it had been trashed. No body damage, but it looked like a family of homeless street bums and a few raccoons had been living in it, and when the mess of trash and food wrappers became too much even for them, they moved out and just left the car. The mess was so bad the insurance company totaled it out, as it would have been too expensive to replace the seats and carpeting. My guess is that stealing a car is easier than stealing a house.
I was going to post this story earlier in this thread as a kind of a warning for you to get ready for anything, but thought it might be too depressing for you.

Last edited by tfischer; 02-22-17 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Deleted references to missing Superbowl jersey.
Old 02-22-17, 07:16 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Good that the issue was resolved. Curious why you would switch to an IS and not a new RC? Though I understand why you would want to get rid of your car that that point.
My lease was coming to an end this summer and the novelty wore off. Big reason was space. Unless under 5'2" I couldn't safely / comfortably sit anyone in the back. It's like the rear seats were just for show but not functional. I was also getting tired of the fake vents on the rear bumper. Here in the NJ it's impossible to find a IS 350 in anything but white. I didn't want another white car. I did, however, want the same red interior. I really like the IS and the f-sport is pretty. I knew I wanted the Atomic Silver and there was only one in the entire state and in the 300 trim. I was a little worried about sub par performance coming from the bigger V6, but the smaller V6 is plenty powerful. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference otherwise. The IS handles better and is more nimble than the RC as well. Much more stable around curves and turns. The 10" nav screen is amazing as well. I also like the auto high-beams feature and lane departure. The joystick is easy to get used to as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: White RC 350 F-Sport Stolen NNJ!