RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

White RC 350 F-Sport Stolen NNJ!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 10:24 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO
It is ridiculous that Lexus cannot use the technology to track down a stolen vehicle. I don't want the service, but Lexus should have a switch where they can locate the car via the tracking ability in regard.
But why would Lexus want to help you track down the car? What do they have to gain or lose? Nothing. Was it their fault your car was stolen? No. As I already said, if you don't subscribe for Enform then why should you get the benefits (I.e., tracking) of it? If your car had LoJack instead and you didn't pay the subscription fee, LoJack will not help you disable or track your car either.
Old 02-14-17, 11:21 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

umm ... maybe because Lexus IS a luxury brand committed to customer satisfaction and would like to be able to locate a stolen vehicle without placing the burden on the customer to pay for an app that he / she doesn't use. No one purchases Enform for purposes of locating a stolen vehicle. It's primarily for gimmicky purposes and the satisfaction rating is low for good reason and primarily because it is slow and very limited.

To have the capability of vehicle locating limited to Enform subscription is a disservice to Lexus owners.

What I'm saying is being that the technology is already in the car, Lexus should have a way of tracking vehicles on A case-by-case exception utilizing that technology regardless of whether or not Enform is activated. Saying that it cannot be located without an active Enform subscription and having no way of activating the location service from OUTSIDE of the vehicle is inconceivable. Maybe they want me to call the thief and ask him to press the SOS button and activate it for me?

No one is asking to subscribe to Enform, but why Lexus is inept at tracking a stolen car when the technology exists in the car. If The technology exists, then Lexus should have a way to track the vehicle regardless of whether or not the driver uses Enform.

The comment about why Lexus would want to help and what they might have to gain or lose doesn't even deserve a response.

Originally Posted by dchar
But why would Lexus want to help you track down the car? What do they have to gain or lose? Nothing. Was it their fault your car was stolen? No. As I already said, if you don't subscribe for Enform then why should you get the benefits (I.e., tracking) of it? If your car had LoJack instead and you didn't pay the subscription fee, LoJack will not help you disable or track your car either.

Last edited by FUZCO; 02-14-17 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-14-17, 11:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Again,I wouldn't want my vehicle found.So no trace option for me.
I don't want my vehicle back that has been either stripped,banged up,scratched,beat on etc.
Old 02-14-17, 11:42 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO
It is ridiculous that Lexus cannot use the technology to track down a stolen vehicle. I don't want the service, but Lexus should have a switch where they can locate the car via the tracking ability in regard.
Enform doesn't technically track the car, it sends the location of the last start up and shut down, it does not live track the car. So even if Lexus was to be able to contact the car all they would know is the last place it was turned off.

this is why I purchased the Skylink Tracker with my RC-F, it performs live tracking with no subscription. Just call and they tell you where the car is. Similar to lojack, but lojack requires the police have their tracking device to find the car, Skylink uses GPS tracking, you can pay for access to the internet to see it yourself, or you or the police just call the company and they will tell you after verifying ownership.
Old 02-14-17, 12:24 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Well that explains it. As well as why the app has a 1 star rating!

Originally Posted by mjeds
Enform doesn't technically track the car, it sends the location of the last start up and shut down, it does not live track the car. So even if Lexus was to be able to contact the car all they would know is the last place it was turned off.

this is why I purchased the Skylink Tracker with my RC-F, it performs live tracking with no subscription. Just call and they tell you where the car is. Similar to lojack, but lojack requires the police have their tracking device to find the car, Skylink uses GPS tracking, you can pay for access to the internet to see it yourself, or you or the police just call the company and they will tell you after verifying ownership.
Old 02-14-17, 04:54 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

True that. LoJack will not help your stolen car either. But if you had a loan and even you did not pay for LoJack........ Your lender sometimes will put in LoJack if the loan is big enough. The lender will activate the LoJack as soon as you default on the loan and repo starts.

Originally Posted by dchar
Old 02-14-17, 05:01 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

You know that LoJack pays the LEOs (police) once the LEOs recovers your stolen car, right? In other words, AFTER you report your car STOLEN, there will be a bounty out for the LEOs who recover your stolen car.

IDK about you, I don't EVER want to see my car again if it was stolen. It will not be good.

The following users liked this post:
SpeedRcr (02-16-17)
Old 02-14-17, 07:21 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusrus
True that. LoJack will not help your stolen car either. But if you had a loan and even you did not pay for LoJack........ Your lender sometimes will put in LoJack if the loan is big enough. The lender will activate the LoJack as soon as you default on the loan and repo starts.
Thanks for the info!
Old 02-14-17, 07:25 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

You know that LoJack pays the LEOs (police) once the LEOs recovers your stolen car, right? In other words, AFTER you report your car STOLEN, there will be a bounty out for the LEOs who recover your stolen car.

IDK about you, I don't EVER want to see my car again if it was stolen. It will not be good.
I know I've used LoJack for years. But Skylink allows for data logging, speed tracking, accelerometer reports, and a bunch of other things if you pay for the monthly access account, I got 2 years for free and it was what I used to prove the dealer shop foreman was hot rodding my car and speeding (85 in a 35 zone) when they had it for it's 5K service. I set the valet mode and started getting a ton of texts that my car was speeding, hard braking, and hard cornering, and the map showed it was all in a residential area.
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (02-16-17)
Old 02-14-17, 09:58 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

This is a good idea!!!

Not only for drooping the car for service, but also for like mandatory valet in some hotels and restaurants. Also good to have this when my kids take it out for a drive without me present.

I know I've used LoJack for years. But Skylink allows for data logging, speed tracking, accelerometer reports, and a bunch of other things if you pay for the monthly access account, I got 2 years for free and it was what I used to prove the dealer shop foreman was hot rodding my car and speeding (85 in a 35 zone) when they had it for it's 5K service. I set the valet mode and started getting a ton of texts that my car was speeding, hard braking, and hard cornering, and the map showed it was all in a residential area.
Old 02-15-17, 09:14 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

This is a good idea!!!

Not only for drooping the car for service, but also for like mandatory valet in some hotels and restaurants. Also good to have this when my kids take it out for a drive without me present.
That's why I got it, I've had issues with service techs and the Valets at my job; hot rodding my cars in the past.. The SkyLink and the Dash Cam keep them in check. The office Valets have gotten better because we changed companies, but I still don't trust them, I always advise them the car is in valet mode and being data logged and tracked.
Old 02-16-17, 05:57 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm going to look into this, thanks for the info..
Old 02-16-17, 07:31 AM
RCMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What's the cost for the Skylink service? I tried looking at their website but couldn't find this information. Thanks.
Old 02-16-17, 11:43 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RCMike
What's the cost for the Skylink service? I tried looking at their website but couldn't find this information. Thanks.
I have the Skylink Protect Plan. There are other plans available including a powersport plan (I believe this has more ODBII data available) and a fleet plan (if you have more than 3 vehicles on them).

Speed Alerts, Accelerometer alerts (hard accel, hard corning, hard braking), battery drain alerts, Geo Fencing, real time GPS tracking, engine start and stop alerts,

1 year = $119
2 year = $199
3 year = $259
4 year = $299
5 year = $329

the device is charged/installed by the dealer, I paid $299, not sure if you can buy direct from www.myskylink.com

I also receive an 8% discount from my insurance company for having it.

you do not have to subscribe to the services, you can buy the device and have it installed (you get 1 year service for free), after the free year you can cancel and it works like a lojack, you have to call it in to get a location. If you subscribe to the services you have a real time connection to the vehicle.

you can access it via phone app or computer browser.

the device is hard wired to power and the serial port (ODB) on your car, it also has an internal rechargeable battery that is charged by the power connection to the vehicle. The device is the size of a cell phone battery, generic black looking with no labeling and is discreetly installed somewhere in the vehicle with a GPS antenna lead mounted above the front or rear windshield under the headliner..

Last edited by mjeds; 02-16-17 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-16-17, 12:39 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's been 45 years since I've felt safe enough to leave a key and a wallet in a car and that was living on a farm in the mid-West. I hope you get your stuff back!

Quick Reply: White RC 350 F-Sport Stolen NNJ!