RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-17, 11:40 AM
RiverBend
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start

Is remote start built into all RC 350's or is it an option? Was wondering if I subscribe to lexus enform would I be able to start my rc with my phone.

Thanks
RiverBend
Old 01-11-17, 12:37 PM
forcaport7
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You have to subscribe to Lexus enform to enable these features, once you have a subscription you can remote start your car from your phone, or use the key fob by clicking the lock button 3 times and holding on the 3rd click. Without an active subscription, you will not be able to remote start.

Search the forum for more info.... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...us-enform.html
Old 01-11-17, 02:21 PM
aries7286
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remote start is built in but can only be used with the Enform Subscription. They have the option to activate/deactivate remotely. It took 3 weeks from when i bought the car, for me to receive the activation email. 1st year is free and at first i was thinking, no way im paying $249 per year for this. But to be honest, 6 months into it, i think i will be paying the subscription. it is very convenient in many ways. i love that the car is pretty much connected to the internet/satellite or whatever. because of this, you are able to check the current status of your car, on the fly. i find this useful because i am very forgetful so alot of the times, i forget if i locked the car, 2 seconds ago. with Enform, i dont have to go back to the car and check, i can just pull up the app, request for a status report and it will tell me which door is unlocked or which window is open, if any. cant close the windows remotely, but u can lock your car from anywhere.

the app also lets you set up notifications in case you forget to lock your door, forgot to close the hood/truck/gas tank. itll also send a monthly report of your car as well as remind you when its time to service your car.

BUT, i also found out the Viper has added alot of these features with their remote start system, if combined with their smartphone features. you might want to look into that since its way cheaper than Lexus Enform's subscriptions.
Old 01-12-17, 09:43 AM
RiverBend
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. So the dealer only had 1 fob. If I have enform I can start the car but will it drive without having a fob in the car?
Old 01-12-17, 10:01 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverBend
Thanks for the replies. So the dealer only had 1 fob. If I have enform I can start the car but will it drive without having a fob in the car?
no, and actually it will turn off the minute you touch the door handle or the trunk.

the remote start shuts down upon accessing the vehicle, and requires you to restart the vehicle with a fob once inside. it does not continue to run like other systems.
Old 01-12-17, 10:19 AM
alrozrc350
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi mjeds - I have an RC350 coming in about 2 months,, So if I have the car started remotely with the heater or ac on, the car will shut off upon
entering, you then have to restart with the fob? I read that it would shutdown after 10 minutes if you did not enter the car in that time frame.
So my question is, other then outside weather conditions. what is the purpose of the remote start?
Thanks
Old 01-12-17, 10:28 AM
RiverBend
Driver School Candidate

Guess I better bite the bullet and pay lexus for a spare fob before I loose my only one or jump in the ocean with it in my pocket like I did my girlfriends fob.
Old 01-12-17, 11:27 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by alrozrc350
Hi mjeds - I have an RC350 coming in about 2 months,, So if I have the car started remotely with the heater or ac on, the car will shut off upon
entering, you then have to restart with the fob? I read that it would shutdown after 10 minutes if you did not enter the car in that time frame.
So my question is, other then outside weather conditions. what is the purpose of the remote start?
Thanks

yes both statements are correct.. the remote start shuts down after 10 minutes and if you access the vehicle.

other than outside weather conditions there is no purpose for the remote start on any car.. except maybe the cool factor. and in a lot of areas they are illegal, (that is it is illegal to have an unattended vehicle running)

in the cold I leave my heated seat on, fan on high in defrost mode, heat on high.. remote start a few minutes before leaving the house so when I get to the car the windows are defogged, the seat and interior are warm.
but once I access the trunk to drop in my work bag, car shuts down, I then restart when I get in..

I don't understand the logic behind Toyota's choice to shut down and force a restart, all other makes simply require the fob to be present and you step on brake and push the start button and the vehicle then flips over into normal mode.. If you step on the brake and fob isn't present they shut off, you can't put them in gear and the radio, dash lights, etc. don't come on until you press the button. In the Lexus, everything comes on, and Bluetooth will connect if it finds your phone, which is a royal pain if you are in the house and you get a call, because the damn car picks up the call.

The Lexus system is weird, I don't understand it, but this is how it works.. additionally there is no RAP (retained accessory power) when you turn off the car, so you can't listen to the radio or roll up the windows AFTER you power off the car IF it is in park.
but you can power it off in neutral and get 20 minutes of RAP. Then if you place it into park you have to turn off than back on if you want to restart it. Makes no sense. My last 2 vehicles if I was in RAP and tipped the key or pressed the start button, the vehicle started right back up, the radio did not turn off, blue tooth did not disconnect.. In the Lexus, everything resets.. It's a stupid, unfriendly system.
Old 01-12-17, 11:38 AM
aries7286
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alrozrc350
Thanks
this "safety feature" is very annoying. i hate that it shuts off as soon as you unlock the car. i dont see why not do it like others, shuts off if you press the brake without turning the ignition on.

anyways, back to your question. during the summer, if the car detects too much heat in the cabin, itll automatically turn the ac on. this is very useful for me because my car sits on the sun all day while im at work so it gets pretty hot during the summer. it doesnt seem to do the opposite during the winter tho. I just turn the heater and defrosters on before i turn the car off at night. oh i also make sure my music is off or turned down because ive started my car and heard bass vibrations after a few seconds later, looked out the window and it was my car bumpin.
The following users liked this post:
mjeds (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 03:51 PM
alrozrc350
Rookie

Hi Everyone,

Great input on the remote start thread. I was speaking with my sales rep today at the dealership and he also mentioned
that this is a safety feature for sure regarding the engine shutting off then having to restart with the fob.
Actually I don't mind and extra step, if it prevents my car starting on the street then after 15 minutes someone takes off with it
before I get there (maybe not the best scenario). But we all see the point.
My RC350 is not due in until middle of April as of now, I am just trying to learn the most about it during this waiting period.
Thanks again - Alrozrc350
Old 01-13-17, 07:45 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

I've had my RC for two years now, and let me note that I find the remote start to be much more handy than I though it would be, as you do not have to be near the car to start it, as with the older systems. Both you and the car, however, have to have cell reception. I find it great to be able to start my car from inside a restaurant or at the baggage claim at the airport so it's nice and warm/cool when the van finally gets me to my car. One note regarding aftermarket systems as a substitution: I have been told by several Lexus technicians and mechanics that such systems can screw up the electronics of today's wired, connected and computerized cars, and can cause unexpected results. I would recommend sticking to the built in system, even though an annual subscription is required for this feature (although you get a lot of other things with that "Enform" payment).
Old 01-13-17, 08:01 AM
alrozrc350
Rookie

Thanks for replying back tfischer, good input. So true regarding sticking to the built system. Who needs headaches after spending the money for RC.
I see that you have the infrared, that is what I am getting with the 2017 with the black interior.