RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Reckless in Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-16, 07:11 PM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Reckless in Virginia

We all love driving our cars and getting the most of out if, but if you're going to push it in VA, think twice!

Got pulled over in Virginia, GW Parkway on a Friday morning on the RC. Federal Highway, so the penalties are doubled. A reckless in Virginia is treated as a Misdemeanor. I decided to lawyered up to play it safe and not risk it. I deff learned my lesson but it was a bit of a learning experience as well with the whole process. It's insane to see how much money VA pulls in through these tickets. I had court today and thankfully only ended up paying a fine and got all "criminal" charges dropped.

Love my RC, but deff becoming more aware. lol
Old 10-21-16, 08:04 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

That stinks man. Definitely not a good idea in Virginia...that place is strict....I was doing a few miles over the speed limit in Virginia beach and almost instantly got pulled over a long time ago. A radar detector may be helpful!
Old 10-21-16, 09:58 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by suvi2k
That stinks man. Definitely not a good idea in Virginia...that place is strict....I was doing a few miles over the speed limit in Virginia beach and almost instantly got pulled over a long time ago. A radar detector may be helpful!
Need to be careful In VA because radar detectors are illegal in that state.. The OP could get a good stealth (undetectable) RD, but you don't want to be caught with one.

Last edited by JT4; 10-21-16 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-21-16, 10:06 AM
lexual_rc

Originally Posted by JT4
Need to be careful In VA because radar detectors are illegal in that state.. The OP could get a good stealth one, but you don't want to be caught with one.

I didn't realize its illegal there...I always use mine but haven't been pulled over. good to know. In DC its illegal too, but I leave mine on my dash and just power it down when I get pulled over....never had an issue about it being there not in use.
Old 10-21-16, 10:19 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMHO You weren't too detailed in how you were driving. If you were going with the flow of traffic, fine. However, if you're driving like a bat out of hell and "getting the most of out it" on a public road such as the GW Pwy, you deserve to pay the price. You're endangering yourself and others around you. The GW parkway is s very congested road, heavily policed and it is notorious for pretty nasty accidents due to "spirited" driving and recklessness. Be smart....things could have turned out differently than just getting a ticket.
Old 10-21-16, 11:03 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by suvi2k
I didn't realize its illegal there...I always use mine but haven't been pulled over. good to know. In DC its illegal too, but I leave mine on my dash and just power it down when I get pulled over....never had an issue about it being there not in use.
Just an FYI, not sure about DC but in VA, even if the RD is off you're supposed to have it put away where it is not accessible to anyone in the car. When I used to pass through VA I would just put my V1 in the glove compartment. I later found out that "technically" it's supposed to be in the trunk.
Old 10-21-16, 11:07 AM
lexual_rc

Originally Posted by JT4
Just an FYI, not sure about DC but in VA, even if the RD is off you're supposed to have it put away where it is not accessible to anyone in the car. When I used to pass through VA I would just put my V1 in the glove compartment. I later found out that "technically" it's supposed to be in the trunk.
Good to know...guess I got lucky then! It was an older honda and I got pulled over tint anyways, guess the cop was being cool about it. I did not get away without a ticket for that tint tho.
Old 10-21-16, 11:25 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

VA is no joke I work in Herndon/Reston area and live in Bowie, MD. Anything over 80mph is considered Reckless. I don't go there without Waze on and never go above 75mph even in Express lanes. My company car is a Toyota Tacoma so it blends in and I drive conservative. I do drive GS to work on rare occasion haven't taken Supra there yet maybe one day I will lol.
Old 10-22-16, 07:27 AM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
IMHO You weren't too detailed in how you were driving. If you were going with the flow of traffic, fine. However, if you're driving like a bat out of hell and "getting the most of out it" on a public road such as the GW Pwy, you deserve to pay the price. You're endangering yourself and others around you. The GW parkway is s very congested road, heavily policed and it is notorious for pretty nasty accidents due to "spirited" driving and recklessness. Be smart....things could have turned out differently than just getting a ticket.
Yup, i agree, but it was a friday morning and there was no traffic on the GW parkway. Cop got me going down a small hill by the CIA exit. I always knew the cops sit there but that day it just left my mind and clocked me. I had a dashcam which provided the clip to my lawyer to help with the deal we made.
Old 10-22-16, 07:44 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I used to drive the GW Pkwy years ago when I was a student at Georgetown, and I still drive it from time to time because my son now lives in Arlington, pretty close to the GWP. Back then, it was a great road for picking up speed, but now it's full of traffic and radar police. I have never had a problem with my V1 detector in VA, however, but tend to take it down when not on expressways. There are not a lot of places in DC where you can pick up enough speed to matter, so a ban on detectors is fairly meaningless, but DC will ban anything not nailed down anyway. They may have banned nails by now - I'll have to check. Still VA is a pretty nice state with lots of nice places.
Old 10-22-16, 08:03 PM
Dtl6843
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VA is the worse, if it's not the cops it's the potholes we have to look out for. I blew a tire on 495 yesterday due to a major pothole, I'm usually pretty good with going around them but it was raining pretty hard.