RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Throttle Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 05:43 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Throttle Controller

hey all, I've seen a few of you guys get these. Can someone explain what they do exactly and the potential benefits. Also what brand/where etc. thanks. I've been pretty happy with the stock intake and had a muffler delete done. I really want to do a few small things like front springs and a strut bar maybe.
Old 08-05-16, 05:50 PM
rruussss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put one in yesterday. It remaps the throttle curve.
Here's the image of the different settings.

Controller is part# 410-A001
Harness is part# 416-A021

I picked mine up from amazon since they had it on prime

Last edited by rruussss; 08-05-16 at 05:51 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 08-05-16, 05:57 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting. So let's say in sport + mode and on boost mode you notice a big difference in acceleration? From my old ES the sport + mode is pretty responsive with little lag

Last edited by Megafast13; 08-05-16 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 06:14 PM
rruussss
Driver School Candidate

It's kind of more of a "you don't have to floor it to get a similar response as flooring it". It's kind of hard to explain.
Granted, I've had it in the car for less than 24 hours and worked from home today, so I've probably driven a total of 5 miles with it.
Old 08-05-16, 09:49 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Was in a GS350 with one and noticed a huge difference. It eliminates the lag and I would recommend getting it just based on the fact that you can feel a difference. Try getting it online, its much cheaper.
Old 08-05-16, 11:53 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Yup! You'll notice it. We'll be adding one to our RC when we receive our huge batch of throttle controllers at the end of the month.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-06-16, 09:23 AM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I did this back in October, hopefully it will help:

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Apexi Throttle Controller installed

My buddy rmsimmonsj was having his Apexi exhaust system installed last week and recommended this product to me after having one on his former RC F-Sport and now current RCF.

I was hesitant at first but glad I purchased one. The install is pretty straight forward and should take you about 15 minutes to an hour depending on how big your hands are and where you mount the control switch.

Find the connector at the top of your gas pedal:

Disconnecting this connector was the hardest part due to its awkward location under the dash:

I pulled off the side panel and routed the wire through the dash. I also unclipped one of the empty spots next to the BSM button and replaced it with the Apexi control switch for a nice clean factory look:

I'm still messing around with the 7 different functions but the only mode that I like (and the reason why I purchased it) is the red Hi Throttle mode. Overall I am pretty happy with this mod. It really woke the car up in the lower gears and the throttle response is MUCH quicker.
Originally Posted by FR500GT
I was thinking the same thing at first. Almost as if the controller would just "dumb" down the factory settings and then at Hi Throttle (red) mode it would be back at 100%. But it's not.

The throttle controller makes the gas pedal A LOT more responsive even if it's already in Sport + mode. Some people might not like it like that but most people that like a drivers car will. It just makes the car feel more alive. One way to prove how it works is by pressing the Apexi button through all 7 modes as you slowly accelerate up to speed. You can literally feel and hear the car pull a little more each time as you get to the final Hi Throttle (red) mode. I just leave it in red mode at all times.

This does not add any additional HP to the car since it is not a tuner but it will make the car "feel" faster because it eliminates the delay of the factory throttle response. IMO this the best and probably cheapest option since our ECU's cant be tuned. Hope this helps!
Old 08-07-16, 08:23 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

FR500:
Nice job. Can you give me a tip on how to pop out one of those unused spots next to the BSM button. I tried but could not get it out, and did not want to break anything. What holds them in?
Old 08-07-16, 12:35 PM
ZeroG
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
FR500:
Nice job. Can you give me a tip on how to pop out one of those unused spots next to the BSM button. I tried but could not get it out, and did not want to break anything. What holds them in?
Pardon me for jumping in, don't want to hijack the thread, but was here and thought I'd offer up an answer...
I installed the button in the same location as FR500GT. I taped up the edges of the area carefully and removed the blank button with a small nylon trim tool:
http://amzn.to/2aDExGF

My method for mounting did not require removing the side panel, though it is easy enough using the same tool.
I tied a small wire to the end of the connector on the button and fed it through the open button space.
Prior to mounting the button (as it doesn't sit exactly flush with the open space) I applied a very small piece of 3M double-sided tape to the top and back of the controller button, then pressed it in place. Holds like glue!

Hope this helps and thanks to FR500GT for the OP!

Cheers,
ZeroG
Old 08-07-16, 05:33 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Thanks. I have those handy plastic pry tools, so it should be no problem. I was afraid that they might be screwed into something behind the panel.
Old 08-07-16, 07:02 PM
rruussss
Driver School Candidate

I finally mounted my switch and box today. Tried popping out the blank with a pick and tweaked the surround a tiny bit so I decided to stop and open up the panel.
The side of the dash pops open halfway giving you access to a 10mm bolt. I then undid the bottom 2 screws and popped that off.
Once i popped the top part of the lower panel near the door, I had full access to the back of the blanks and it was easy to pop the tabs on the top and bottom with a panel tool.
With all of that open, I could finally see where to route the wire and wire tie the box (the bracket where the obd connector is)
Couple of takeaways:
- there is the knee airbag module on the bottom of that panel. I wouldn't want to have that blow up in my face. If you're worried about it, unplug the battery (I worked at a car stereo shop back in the 90s so #YOLO)
- the button is sooooo not flush. I *think* one could probably file the corners to get it to fit properly.
Throttle Controller-photo744.jpg
Old 08-07-16, 09:32 PM
rruussss
Driver School Candidate

Said blank
Attached Thumbnails Throttle Controller-photo335.jpg  
Old 08-08-16, 10:03 AM
NichyNeato
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pardon my ignorance on this subject.
Is this the same or similar to when I hear people talking about an ECU upgrade? Also does installing one of these affect the factory warranty at all?

I'm interested in doing little easy-ish tweaks to my car and this sounds like a cool one.
Old 08-08-16, 01:30 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

No this has nothing to do with the ECU. This is just a throttle controller which helps controller the sensitivity of the gas pedal when in use. It'll take away most of the lag while driving, and makes a huge difference IMO. I like driving with it on boost 2 (Pink) and sport +. Once you feel the difference you already feel like your money was well spent. I doubt it would but if it does then take it off when you go to the dealer. And it is very easy to install pretty much plug and play.
Originally Posted by NichyNeato
Pardon my ignorance on this subject.
Is this the same or similar to when I hear people talking about an ECU upgrade? Also does installing one of these affect the factory warranty at all?

I'm interested in doing little easy-ish tweaks to my car and this sounds like a cool one.

Last edited by mjn88; 08-08-16 at 01:35 PM.