RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

A year in review--would you buy RC again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-16, 01:41 PM
FrogBreath
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have gone RC-F for sure. I liked the RC 350 and I've had it since Dec 2014, although I am probably going to sell it soon. The lack of speed is the only thing bad I would say, otherwise a great car. I purchased a GT-R recently and will be looking for a sedan, so the RC 350 will see be traded in, I think....I don't regret getting it at all. Very striking car & it has beautiful lines. Probably one of the sharpest cars out right now. I think the 200t is great too, I would have liked a big break kit on the F Sports, but other than those two I think it's a perfect car. It will be hard to let go.
Old 08-21-16, 01:48 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO
The RC's heaviness can use a more powerful engine no doubt. Probably the main reason for the numbness behind the wheel. But there's a flip-side because the heaviness of the car is what gives it the smooth and solid drive.
Agreed.

It's a matter of taste. I prefer the extra weight. In addition to the statement above, the weight also helps in the rain. I have to "try" to lose traction in the rain, even at highway speeds.

One day if we are ever able to get a tune I will be installing a turbo on my RC F and then I will be really glad to have that weight for added traction.

But I wouldn't like the weight in a non-RC F.
Old 08-21-16, 02:58 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
Agreed.

It's a matter of taste. I prefer the extra weight. In addition to the statement above, the weight also helps in the rain. I have to "try" to lose traction in the rain, even at highway speeds.

One day if we are ever able to get a tune I will be installing a turbo on my RC F and then I will be really glad to have that weight for added traction.

But I wouldn't like the weight in a non-RC F.
the Lexus traction control system functions very well. Turn off traction in the rain, you will probably end up in the woods.
the Rcf fish tails like crazy in the dry with traction off, while hard on the gas. The oem tires are way too small for the power imo
Old 08-21-16, 03:02 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrogBreath
I would have gone RC-F for sure. I liked the RC 350 and I've had it since Dec 2014, although I am probably going to sell it soon. The lack of speed is the only thing bad I would say, otherwise a great car. I purchased a GT-R recently and will be looking for a sedan, so the RC 350 will see be traded in, I think....I don't regret getting it at all. Very striking car & it has beautiful lines. Probably one of the sharpest cars out right now. I think the 200t is great too, I would have liked a big break kit on the F Sports, but other than those two I think it's a perfect car. It will be hard to let go.
what year and how many miles on the gtr? $7-8000 brake job every 20k miles, and high basic maintenance cost scared me away real quick
Old 08-21-16, 04:50 PM
FrogBreath
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ssmoked
the Lexus traction control system functions very well. Turn off traction in the rain, you will probably end up in the woods.
the Rcf fish tails like crazy in the dry with traction off, while hard on the gas. The oem tires are way too small for the power imo
I live where it doesn't rain much, a few times a year. But yea I've heard that before. My Lexus is on Accuair. I typically mod my cars pretty well but who have liked a more powerful engine like the 435 or at least a big brake kit. I had to buy an aftermarket big brake kit, which isn't cheap.

Last edited by FrogBreath; 08-21-16 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-21-16, 04:55 PM
FrogBreath
Pole Position

what year and how many miles on the gtr? $7-8000 brake job every 20k miles, and high basic maintenance cost scared me away real quick
2010 with 28k, one owner. I traded in my 911 Turbo for it. I've had it two months and absolutely love it. Added Agargosta coilovers with Swift springs. GTC 102mm exhaust, BOV for fun, Cobb, sways and next up is down pipe & injectors. Yea there are stories about every car but you can have them & then some don't. All depends. My favorite car as of yet and I've owned quite a few. I drive about 10k miles a year between my 2-3 cars at most.
Old 08-21-16, 05:50 PM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO
The RC's heaviness can use a more powerful engine no doubt. Probably the main reason for the numbness behind the wheel. But there's a flip-side because the heaviness of the car is what gives it the smooth and solid drive.
notice i said "toooooo heavy" . Solid and smooth drive require certain weight. But there are plenty cars which are as solid and smooth as RC but much lighter than RC. It's time to lose SOME weight.
Old 08-21-16, 06:02 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrogBreath
2010 with 28k, one owner. I traded in my 911 Turbo for it. I've had it two months and absolutely love it. Added Agargosta coilovers with Swift springs. GTC 102mm exhaust, BOV for fun, Cobb, sways and next up is down pipe & injectors. Yea there are stories about every car but you can have them & then some don't. All depends. My favorite car as of yet and I've owned quite a few. I drive about 10k miles a year between my 2-3 cars at most.
sounds like you are a speed guy. You definately bought the wrong car (rc350) with an outdated weak engine and heavy body. I think the Rcf would bore you too especially how much it cost when first came out. Now it's a different story.

Old 08-21-16, 07:28 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I drive with it off most of the time. Don't mash the pedal to the floor if you expect to keep traction.

As for fishtailing.. mine doesn't. If I mash the pedal on dry pavement the tires chirp throughout 1st gear, but the car stays straight so long as I keep the front wheels straight. My tires have plenty of tread though? Dunno... YMMV.

I'll get a video. I just dropped about a grand on video equipment for the RC F this week. It should be up and running by next weekend.

Edit: But it's not the acceleration traction I was referring to in my last post in regards to the rain (even though the acceleration traction is good too IMO). I meant while cruising. I've went through 1" deep puddles on the highway at 80 mph and it didn't even feel like it was about to hydroplane. It feels as solid in the rain as my RX 350 does. Maybe even more solid.

I learned to drive in the North with f-body Camaros... if you can drive those in the snow without wrecking, you have some skill... It's hard enough in the rain. So to me, the RC F handles like a dream rain or shine. I haven't tried snow though, and don't plan on it with summer only tires.

Last edited by Davew77; 08-21-16 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-21-16, 07:30 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got mine March 2015, just hit 20K miles.
Pros
The look is hot. Especially with 20 in wheels. The attention I get is unbelievable.
Good blend of luxury and sport make it a great daily driver. Lowering it 1 in improved the ride tremendously.
Plenty of interior legroom. Snug fit in the cockpit.
Seats almost exotic fare.
Although not a brute, city driving the speed and power are adequate.
Electronics are fine but I am not really into that stuff.

Cons
The seat is too hard but my body has gotten used to it.
The power is not that good for highway driving. The torque is a problem but the gearing is the biggest problem. The computer is always searching for the right gear when you mash the gas. My 2007 GS used to fly like a rocket when you floored it.

I wish it had a little more bang but I would still buy it again.
Old 08-23-16, 09:20 PM
ZeroG
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I was one of the early lucky ones.
My Ultra White/Red AWD 350 F Sport was available immediately in Feb 2015, no ordering or waiting - fully loaded with just about everything you could leave the showroom floor with.

Since then I've done the following mods:
- F Sport Performance Exhaust
- RSR Down Springs (front only)
- Takeda CAI
- Beatsonic Nav/DVD Bypass
- APEXi Throttle Controller
- Interior & Reverse LED Lighting

I really can't think of a single 'CON' that hasn't been solved by the Mods.
I never had a problem with the cooling of the seats... Always working and comfortable.
I may be the only one who likes the default 3-blink turn signal (fits my driving style)

The performance, power and pure joy of driving this car is only matched by the reaction the girls have when I pull in for my morning latte!
"Ooo... Your car is SO Nice!"

I just turned 7800 miles. This is a lease, and I will be buying at the end.
...and no I will not share my lease deal. Everyone's is different depending on your dealer, your relationship with them, your negotiating skills and about a half dozen other factors. Yes, it was a good deal for me.

ZeroG

Last edited by ZeroG; 08-23-16 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-25-16, 08:32 AM
kymbakitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this?

Originally Posted by ZeroG
....I may be the only one who likes the default 3-blink turn signal (fits my driving style)
I do not know what this feature is...I think I might like it.

Do you have to turn it on?

Dawn
Old 08-25-16, 08:37 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroG
I think I was one of the early lucky ones.
My Ultra White/Red AWD 350 F Sport was available immediately in Feb 2015, no ordering or waiting - fully loaded with just about everything you could leave the showroom floor with.

Since then I've done the following mods:
- F Sport Performance Exhaust
- RSR Down Springs (front only)
- Takeda CAI
- Beatsonic Nav/DVD Bypass
- APEXi Throttle Controller
- Interior & Reverse LED Lighting

I really can't think of a single 'CON' that hasn't been solved by the Mods.
I never had a problem with the cooling of the seats... Always working and comfortable.
I may be the only one who likes the default 3-blink turn signal (fits my driving style)

The performance, power and pure joy of driving this car is only matched by the reaction the girls have when I pull in for my morning latte!
"Ooo... Your car is SO Nice!"

I just turned 7800 miles. This is a lease, and I will be buying at the end.
...and no I will not share my lease deal. Everyone's is different depending on your dealer, your relationship with them, your negotiating skills and about a half dozen other factors. Yes, it was a good deal for me.

ZeroG
Well said...was a panty dropper before the mods but after everything its just unfair to other drivers pimpin out there.
Old 08-25-16, 11:35 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

There were some posts on how to change this setting from 3 blinks to like 7 blinks on the turn signal.

I did this and liked it. 3 blinks is too short and often before I make it to the next lane, the 3 blinks are over.

This feature allows you to just lightly tap the signal turn lever either up for right turn or down for left turn and it will just flash for the programmed # of flashes (either 3 or 7) and go back to OFF. Versus a hard tap where it will continue to flash until you cancel it by moving the turn signal in the opposite direction OR if you make something like a 90 degree turn (versus just a lane change) and as the steering wheel unwinds and the car straighten out the turn signal will automatically cancel out.

I can not recall where the posts were at the moment. Sorry.

Originally Posted by kymbakitty
I do not know what this feature is...I think I might like it.

Do you have to turn it on?

Dawn
Old 08-25-16, 12:41 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi All, here is the DIY I did to change your blink rate:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...o-blinker.html

Enjoy,
Peter
Originally Posted by lexusrus
There were some posts on how to change this setting from 3 blinks to like 7 blinks on the turn signal.

I did this and liked it. 3 blinks is too short and often before I make it to the next lane, the 3 blinks are over.

This feature allows you to just lightly tap the signal turn lever either up for right turn or down for left turn and it will just flash for the programmed # of flashes (either 3 or 7) and go back to OFF. Versus a hard tap where it will continue to flash until you cancel it by moving the turn signal in the opposite direction OR if you make something like a 90 degree turn (versus just a lane change) and as the steering wheel unwinds and the car straighten out the turn signal will automatically cancel out.

I can not recall where the posts were at the moment. Sorry.

Quick Reply: A year in review--would you buy RC again?