RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

200t Grille Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-16, 10:14 AM
NichyNeato
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 200t Grille Swap?

I recently bought a 200t. My first Lexus so I chose to keep it simple with the non F-sport.

Really the only think aesthetically I like more about the F sport is the Spindle style grille. I've been in contact with my dealership to see if a simple swap could be done. They are not 100% sure and since its not a certified Lexus modification, they are not able to attempt the labor themselves.

My question is, has anyone here tried to see if they're in fact the same size and can be swapped? I know I'm in the minority here with a non F model, so not sure if this has really been tried yet.

My service guys said I could get the grille assembly for around $1300 shown in this schismatic that he provided me with.
Attached Thumbnails 200t Grille Swap?-grille.jpg  
Old 07-28-16, 01:24 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NichyNeato
I recently bought a 200t. My first Lexus so I chose to keep it simple with the non F-sport.

Really the only think aesthetically I like more about the F sport is the Spindle style grille. I've been in contact with my dealership to see if a simple swap could be done. They are not 100% sure and since its not a certified Lexus modification, they are not able to attempt the labor themselves.

My question is, has anyone here tried to see if they're in fact the same size and can be swapped? I know I'm in the minority here with a non F model, so not sure if this has really been tried yet.

My service guys said I could get the grille assembly for around $1300 shown in this schismatic that he provided me with.
I was thinking about doing this as well as I have the luxury package. My guess is that it should fit since the bumper seems to be the exact same and it is Toyota (most parts are the same on their cars). I found a new one for $1000 from the lexus dealer on ebay that sold me my card key. I like the f-sport grille a tad more than the base model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131617536617

and the reason it says it wont fit the base on their listing is that they could not confirm it
Old 07-28-16, 01:54 PM
NichyNeato
Rookie

Originally Posted by ZAM
I was thinking about doing this as well as I have the luxury package. My guess is that it should fit since the bumper seems to be the exact same and it is Toyota (most parts are the same on their cars). I found a new one for $1000 from the lexus dealer on ebay that sold me my card key. I like the f-sport grille a tad more than the base model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131617536617

and the reason it says it wont fit the base on their listing is that they could not confirm it
ah nice!

its definitely a concern with those red letters saying that its not for base model bumpers.. but it also says that it can be used to convert a non F.. so im not sure what to think!
Also, I opted out of the fog lights so im not sure if that exact one could be used on mine. did you get the fog lights on yours?

Also, how did you get a card key working on you RC? my dealership said they wont and cant sync them to RCs

Last edited by NichyNeato; 07-29-16 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-28-16, 02:28 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was researching which RC I wanted, the only difficult issue I had was that I loved the grill on the Sport model. But I was for sure that I didn't want a sport model...I wanted the luxury package. It wasn't easy getting the Luxury package because everyone was trying to sell me the sport model.

Oddly enough, everyone in my close circle of friends preferred the non sport grill over the sport. I just thought that was funny (the ONE thing I liked better). But I have this hang up about portraying to be or have something you don't. I'm sure it is a child hood thing, but I would feel like I'm trying to show that I have a sport model when I don't. Even though I would know that I merely like the look of that grill better...but that is my hang up--not yours--ha!

Good luck!
Old 07-29-16, 05:57 AM
NichyNeato
Rookie

Originally Posted by kymbakitty
When I was researching which RC I wanted, the only difficult issue I had was that I loved the grill on the Sport model. But I was for sure that I didn't want a sport model...I wanted the luxury package. It wasn't easy getting the Luxury package because everyone was trying to sell me the sport model.

Oddly enough, everyone in my close circle of friends preferred the non sport grill over the sport. I just thought that was funny (the ONE thing I liked better). But I have this hang up about portraying to be or have something you don't. I'm sure it is a child hood thing, but I would feel like I'm trying to show that I have a sport model when I don't. Even though I would know that I merely like the look of that grill better...but that is my hang up--not yours--ha!

Good luck!
Same exact situation for me. I'd rather have a comfy, smooth ride over loud and sporty at this point. I got into enough trouble with my last car and speeding tickets!
The ONLY think I liked better was the grille also. I was also concerned about people thinking im trying to fake having an Fsport with that grille, it just looks better though! Im not going to put F badges or anything on it. just want that sweet sweet grille..

I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try it without having someone confirm that it does in fact fit, so let me know if you try or if you come across anyone who has.

Old 07-29-16, 12:11 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will anyone even know?

Same exact situation for me. I'd rather have a comfy, smooth ride over loud and sporty at this point. I got into enough trouble with my last car and speeding tickets!
The ONLY think I liked better was the grille also. I was also concerned about people thinking im trying to fake having an Fsport with that grille, it just looks better though! Im not going to put F badges or anything on it. just want that sweet sweet grille..

I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try it without having someone confirm that it does in fact fit, so let me know if you try or if you come across anyone who has.
The truth is I highly doubt anyone would know the difference. Such a small segment of the population would even know what that grill belongs on out of the factory. Heck, one poster said that a woman approached him the other day asking him if he had the new Nissan--ha! People are either car people or they aren't. My best friend of 25 years didnt even know if her new car was a 4 or 6 cylinder. It boggles my mind but most folks are oblivious. They just aren't car people. I'm sure there is a whole segment of the car buffs out there that would write me off as oblivious because I don't know my gear ratio, my turning blah, blah, my torque under blah, blah, blah. In their eyes, my knowledge of my car wouldn't even almost make me worthy to have a discussion about cars.

I was driving my best friend and her daughter (neice) to airport a few years ago. My neice says, that looks like uncle Lee's car (diehard cult like Mark VIII owner). I told her that it was probably a 96 though because the 97-98 didn't have an antenna like that. My friend said, "seriously....do you have a cousin Vinny? " Most folks on this board probably have no clue what I'm talking about, but it's a fun memory my neice remembers.

I'd say research it and try it for no other reason because you like the look. "We wouldn't care what other people thought of us if we knew how little they did." Dr. Phil.

Old 07-29-16, 07:01 PM
jaywuzhere
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the 350 luxury package and really only like the grill on the f-sport as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...and-grill.html #5 post says you dont need the bumper, but no one can verify. In either event, if anyone does decide to take the leap of faith and only get the grill then you'll still need to remove the bumper. Shocker2 has posted a nice set off instructions in removing the bumper/grill if anyone is interested https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...moval-diy.html
Old 07-29-16, 09:11 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The only other mods I am interested in is the f-sport grill and the F triple-beam headlights.
Old 07-30-16, 04:57 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAM
The only other mods I am interested in is the f-sport grill and the F triple-beam headlights.

Humm. ...... by the time you get the OEM triple LED headlights and the front F Sport grill, you probably be better off just getting the full RC-F price wise. But I understand that not everyone want the sporty type of ride of the RC-F versus the base RC. Maybe with time there will be some after market triple LED headlight assembly as a cheaper option to the OEM which is ridiculously priced?

To the OP, I would not worry too much about what other people think about you putting an f sport grill on the base RC. If you like it. Go for it.
Old 08-01-16, 10:55 AM
NichyNeato
Rookie

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I may give it a shot this month. My dealer has the grille assembly in stock so I could just go pick it up.
My only concern is doing the work myself. The thought of removing the front bumper kind of frightens me, but those instructions are pretty thorough.

Will keep this thread updated if I do decide to pull the trigger
Old 08-03-16, 09:44 PM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The funny thing I just went to the deal here in Portland Oregon to ask the same question. Is it possible to swap the grille to F sport grille.

The answer from them is NO. Let me know if your dealer can actually handle it . Here they told me it's the design issue. They are not mean to be swapped.

And yes 90% of my friends and colleagues prefer non-F sport grille lol When I showed them the F-sport grille, "God, please no!" is the most common answer. lol
Old 08-04-16, 05:40 AM
NichyNeato
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
The funny thing I just went to the deal here in Portland Oregon to ask the same question. Is it possible to swap the grille to F sport grille.

The answer from them is NO. Let me know if your dealer can actually handle it . Here they told me it's the design issue. They are not mean to be swapped.

And yes 90% of my friends and colleagues prefer non-F sport grille lol When I showed them the F-sport grille, "God, please no!" is the most common answer. lol
Hah my friends and even my wife are the same. They all like my non-F grille better, but I love the F one for some reason..

Hearing stuff like this is what makes me nervous about dropping 1300 for the grille and trying it myself. I know if i try to swap it and open it up, they won't allow me to return it.. My dealer seemed to think its possible, but can't confirm.
Old 08-04-16, 06:28 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny

I placed a special order with the factory for my car with the dealer. I prefer the non F-Sport grill. The dealer had about 6 plus RC 350s on his lot; all F-Sports. I like the non-F Sport grill and hence had to special order with the configurations I like without the F Sport package/Grill. Can't wait to get the delivery.
Old 08-04-16, 06:37 AM
NichyNeato
Rookie

Originally Posted by NjDude
I placed a special order with the factory for my car with the dealer. I prefer the non F-Sport grill. The dealer had about 6 plus RC 350s on his lot; all F-Sports. I like the non-F Sport grill and hence had to special order with the configurations I like without the F Sport package/Grill. Can't wait to get the delivery.
Sorry. Not sure if I'm reading this right. So you ordered a standard non- Fsport, or you ordered an F-sport without the F grille?
Old 08-04-16, 06:42 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry. Not sure if I'm reading this right. So you ordered a standard non- Fsport, or you ordered an F-sport without the F grille?
I ordered a fully loaded non-F Sport model due to the fact and I am not a fan of F-Sport grill. Hope this clarifies.

Quick Reply: 200t Grille Swap?