RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

New 4 cyclinder....why?

Old 07-27-16, 02:31 PM
w0rM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I can't speak for anyone else but I bought the RC 200t as a downgrade. I'd been driving a 2016 Corvette with the Z51 package. It was a fantastic car and would smoke pretty much any RC on the planet but it was also a $75,000 car.

I decided I wanted to do more traveling in my car but still wanted something that looked cool and was cheaper to own and operate.

Not everyone buys the fastest car they can afford all the time. Everyone is coming from a different place with different priorities. For me, the 200t was a great combo of good looks, decent performance and fantastic ride - all for a great price.

From my perspective, I don't know why anyone would want to spend $3000 for 60 horsepower. You could probably get close to that with a $500 tune on the 200t.
Old 07-27-16, 02:34 PM
Starterman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 agreed.

Originally Posted by w0rM
I can't speak for anyone else but I bought the RC 200t as a downgrade. I'd been driving a 2016 Corvette with the Z51 package. It was a fantastic car and would smoke pretty much any RC on the planet but it was also a $75,000 car.

I decided I wanted to do more traveling in my car but still wanted something that looked cool and was cheaper to own and operate.

Not everyone buys the fastest car they can afford all the time. Everyone is coming from a different place with different priorities. For me, the 200t was a great combo of good looks, decent performance and fantastic ride - all for a great price.

From my perspective, I don't know why anyone would want to spend $3000 for 60 horsepower. You could probably get close to that with a $500 tune on the 200t.
Old 07-27-16, 03:06 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kymbakitty
Thank you Shadow....I appreciate your response. I was with you until the very end. You said the V6 was another $3,500 which you did not have. That doesn't make sense. If you can get $45k-$50k....you can't get $3,500 more? I am guessing you paid cash in this instance, which I applaud, I really do. I think I would just have waited to save another $3,500 and returned to buy the V6.

But again, hats off to you for not getting a loan. When I researched this car, I did note that many people were paying for these cars in cash. I love not having a car payment, but I still have about another year and a half before I get my title.

The mileage does sound very good. But still not good enough for me to buy a 4 banger. Regardless of how great the mpg is or how great the 4 banger is. But I do understand your financial responsibility (can't pay for it, you don't buy it--love it).

yea i could of waited to get $3,500 but just didnt wanna tbh. i couldn't wait and knowing i had the money i just went and got it. its cause I'm 22 probably
Old 07-27-16, 03:15 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1118
yea i could of waited to get $3,500 but just didnt wanna tbh. i couldn't wait and knowing i had the money i just went and got it. its cause I'm 22 probably
where and how in the world you obtained 45k to pay off a car at 22 yrs old? Not hating on you but hopefully you aren't still living with the rents
Old 07-27-16, 04:31 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Picked up my leased 200t today, and it came down to a lower price and cost of ownership. I wanted to stay within a certain budget because I have other priorities than having the most horsepower I can get, the 200t's lower price combined with slightly lower insurance costs, higher residuals at the moment (than the 350,) better gas mileage....well that all adds up. The 200t is perfectly adequate for my needs and ended up being the best car for me. To be honest, the constant criticizing of the smaller engined IS's and now RC's gets pretty old..... Just be happy with your choice and be happy for others and their choices, we all have great cars.
Old 07-27-16, 04:49 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by wednesday
Picked up my leased 200t today, and it came down to a lower price and cost of ownership. I wanted to stay within a certain budget because I have other priorities than having the most horsepower I can get, the 200t's lower price combined with slightly lower insurance costs, higher residuals at the moment (than the 350,) better gas mileage....well that all adds up. The 200t is perfectly adequate for my needs and ended up being the best car for me. To be honest, the constant criticizing of the smaller engined IS's and now RC's gets pretty old..... Just be happy with your choice and be happy for others and their choices, we all have great cars.
i don't think this thread is designed to criticize the underpowered rc200t. Some, including myself just don't understand and wants to know what made up the owners" decision factor, like yourself. I'm sure you worked hard for your money, get what you want and no excuses needed
Old 07-27-16, 05:58 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ssmoked
where and how in the world you obtained 45k to pay off a car at 22 yrs old? Not hating on you but hopefully you aren't still living with the rents
hell yea I'm still living at home, what am i going to do go to college and and work and pay rent, when i can just focus on my studies and work towards my career faster.
Old 07-27-16, 06:28 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How?

Originally Posted by shadow1118
hell yea I'm still living at home, what am i going to do go to college and and work and pay rent, when i can just focus on my studies and work towards my career faster.
So how were you able to save $45k cash to buy this car? I'm thoroughly impressed. And good for you! Did your parents mind you spending that much on a car or did they want you to buy a house (to get out of their's....ha)?

Very cool. These are great habits that you are learning already. Took me quite a bit longer to figure all this out.
Old 07-27-16, 07:34 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

i started to throw local events, just book some djs, get people to pay and just hold onto money. its all about how hungry you are. I'm lazy as **** now i just go to school now cause i want a big boy job but i used to throw music events locally and in clubs in orlando. i still do today got one coming next month. i just made the company and gave it these other owners and i ask for a small return. its funny too cause I'm like the biggest pot head but i have my finances right but i do not act it all. my story is pretty tame i always thought compared to these 16 year old kids making 2m of an app , that **** blows my mind. i had a friend make a fake teen digest twitter account where it first came out , got 3 mil likes and sold it for like $800k and he was 17. that ****s crazy.

edit: yo congrats wednesday bet you look like a boss in it.

Last edited by shadow1118; 07-27-16 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-28-16, 12:19 AM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wednesday
Spend your money how you see fit. What's right for somebody else isn't necessarily right for you. It doesn't matter what you drive, someone isn't going to like it.

At the end of the day, it's still a Lexus.
Old 07-28-16, 01:38 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree with the OP in this thread, the 350 with the great V6 engine isn't that much more $$$$$, unless the local Lexus dealer is just absolutely giving away the RC200t at 6 to 8k less than the 350, then it might become more of an option. From the reviews I've read of various Lexus cars with this 2.0 turbo engine, they've been lukewarm to downright negative in terms of the engine/transmission and power.
Old 07-28-16, 04:24 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
Spend your money how you see fit. What's right for somebody else isn't necessarily right for you. It doesn't matter what you drive, someone isn't going to like it.

Or someone who is totally clueless about cars and really liked my RC-F said to me, "Is that the new Maxima?' I was thinking "What!!! Maxima is a 4 door sedan with a CVT transmission and looked nothing like an RC-F nor any RC nor anything in the Lexus line up!!!"

I had to set her straight and told her, "NO, this is NOT A NISSAN MAXIMA!!! Maxima has 4 doors and this here has 2 doors!!! THIS IS A LEXUS RC-F WITH THE MOST POWERFUL ENGINE CURRENTLY IN THE LEXUS PRODUCTION. "

She was clueless as she drove away in her 2 Gen old "Maxima" which is still a shinning nice car. Don't get me wrong, but to confuse a Nissan Maxima with a Lexus "RC"??? I guess some people are just clueless. I also will need to take into consideration of where I was at when the above took place.
Old 07-28-16, 04:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Maybe those with the 200t are waiting for their warranty to expire, then the modding game begins! Sometimes the V6 does not get as much love from the aftermarket crowd where as the 200t is already turbo'd from the factory. If I was planning on adding more power down the road, I could see myself getting a 200t.. Since I don't do that stuff anymore, I would have sprung for the V6.
Old 07-28-16, 05:53 AM
kymbakitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahhhhh....

Originally Posted by GSteg
Maybe those with the 200t are waiting for their warranty to expire, then the modding game begins! Sometimes the V6 does not get as much love from the aftermarket crowd where as the 200t is already turbo'd from the factory. If I was planning on adding more power down the road, I could see myself getting a 200t.. Since I don't do that stuff anymore, I would have sprung for the V6.
Thank you GSteg...that is the only thing that even makes even a little sense to me. Since I'm not into modding our cars, it is definitely out of my wheelhouse. But it makes perfect sense. It's the only thing that makes sense in this scenario....for me anyway.

For the gal that is getting tired of people questioning the 4 bangers...well, I would say that won't end any time soon. When you have a $50k car, that is NOT a hybrid, and you buy a 4 banger (even turbo) when the 306 hp V6 is just a few thousand dollars more, there will always be curiosity. It's like buying a Corvette with a 4 cylinder (although my 1986 Corvette only had 235 hp, it was still a V8). Just not going to happen and I'm still a little surprised Lexus put one in their coupes.

Curious...does the 4 banger require Premium fuel also?
Old 07-28-16, 06:25 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Davew77

That's pretty much what I was saying and to the other poster who suggesting the OP wasn't being critical, even though I found the question a bit harsh, it was meant for some of the people commenting, including more after I posted. There are some who feel the need to criticize the lesser model at every turn, whether it be the IS250, or IS/RC200t's, it's been going on forever.

I did get over $5k off from the dealer (plus the Lexus incentives) and with the 200t having better residuals I was able to get a much better payment than I would have on the 350, pay mostly just the fees down and I will save money on gas and insurance. To those of you saying it's only $3k difference, all the extra costs do add up, believe me if the RC350 would have been as budget friendly sure I would have chosen it but I would rather have more free money to put into my new house, vacations and more nights out with my husband. I found the IS250 and now the RC200t very adequate for a daily driver and it is very nicely optioned which is more important to me than more HP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 4 cyclinder....why?