RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Lexus Enform expiration.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-16, 04:28 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like it is worth it to you...

Originally Posted by Davew77
If you are that close to your car, use the key fob to start it. Edit: NVM, I didn't realize it required Enform...

As for the subscription... I don't know about you, but I invest about $3k per month into my vehicles (payment, fuel, maintenance, etc...) so $20 per month is peanuts ($20 x 12 = $240 per year).
I use Enform every single day (sometimes 2x), so it's worth it to me anyway. In your situation I would use the key fob to start my car, but I would still probably subscribe to Enform just to see who's doing what with my car when I have to leave it somewhere (valet mode/location finder).

Speaking of which, I need to start my car right now.
I'm still not convinced that I won't be able to start it when the subscription has ended. We'll see. As far as seeing who is doing what to my car, quite frankly, I have turned most of those off. They are annoying to me. If I remembered when I was last on it, I would have disabled all of them. I flood my own email box at the end of the week with my own activity. Hardly anyone drives the car but me.

If I used any of the features other than starting my car remotely, I would renew. But that is the only service I use or appreciate, and even then it is spotty. Maybe once or twice a week...and just during the 100 degree weather though.

No brainer for me....letting it go. I won't miss the incessant emails...that's for sure. There are so many other things that it does, but I've never used any of those features either.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-16, 08:39 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I will be renewing mine for sure...its totally worth it considering the ease of mind you get with visual tracking system and vehicle status that the key fob just cant do. I would never put something after market in regardless of how "high end" the installer claims to be. Finally do you travel a lot? I do about 6 months out of the year and its nice to remote start my car just to keep the fluids running and engine in tip top shape while I am gone. I would most probably renew mine with the just the remote start feature tho and see if I could talk them down to something even less than 249. Maybe Lexus, if anything like sirius/xm radio, will lower the cost lol.
Old 07-28-16, 12:08 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default I think you can....

Originally Posted by suvi2k
I will be renewing mine for sure...its totally worth it considering the ease of mind you get with visual tracking system and vehicle status that the key fob just cant do. I would never put something after market in regardless of how "high end" the installer claims to be. Finally do you travel a lot? I do about 6 months out of the year and its nice to remote start my car just to keep the fluids running and engine in tip top shape while I am gone. I would most probably renew mine with the just the remote start feature tho and see if I could talk them down to something even less than 249. Maybe Lexus, if anything like sirius/xm radio, will lower the cost lol.
Reread some of the earlier threads. I think you can just get what you want out of the package for $249ish. I think it was exactly what you were hoping to get the subscription down to.

I don't use the visual tracking system or the vehicle status. In fact, I would imagine that this subscription does way more than I will ever even know about. Like I said before, the only thing I use it for is to start my car every now and again when it is super hot. A couple times in the summer. So definitely not worth it. We definitely don't travel 6 months a year--two weeks at a time--twice a year. Just a couple of state workers--ha!

But this sounds ideal for you. And I am almost positive you will be able to get your $249 price!

Good luck!

Dawn

Old 07-28-16, 12:32 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

[QUOTE=Davew77;9567037].....I don't know about you, but I invest about $3k per month into my vehicles (payment, fuel, maintenance, etc.../[QUOTE]

We are a world apart in our financial landscape. Not saying I'm not doing it because of $$, because if I really was attached to just one of these features, it is a very small price to pay.

Our entirely monthly payout is less than $3k a month--ha! And I'm talking about every bill including mortgage, taxes, utilities, insurance (car/auto//home and life), cable/cell/internet--even our landscaper is included in that amount.

Old 07-28-16, 01:36 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kymbakitty
We are a world apart in our financial landscape. Not saying I'm not doing it because of $$, because if I really was attached to just one of these features, it is a very small price to pay.

Our entirely monthly payout is less than $3k a month--ha! And I'm talking about every bill including mortgage, taxes, utilities, insurance (car/auto//home and life), cable/cell/internet--even our landscaper is included in that amount.

My bad, I meant no offense. I assumed that everyone here spent close to the same, or more, than I do on my vehicles. I don't have the time to maintain and clean my vehicles myself so I have to pay people to do it for me. But it's cheaper than missing work to do it myself, and they probably do a better job (well, the detailer surely does). I also run through a touchless autowash/dry at least every day or every other day and that's like $12 a pop. I gotta keep my obsidian looking clean.

When I'm between contracts I do a lot of the care and maintenance myself.

Edit: I don't even have time to surf this forum, except when I'm at work.

Last edited by Davew77; 07-28-16 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-28-16, 02:17 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default No offense taken!!!!

My bad, I meant no offense. I assumed that everyone here spent close to the same, or more, than I do on my vehicles. I don't have the time to maintain and clean my vehicles myself so I have to pay people to do it for me. But it's cheaper than missing work to do it myself, and they probably do a better job (well, the detailer surely does). I also run through a touchless autowash/dry at least every day or every other day and that's like $12 a pop. I gotta keep my obsidian looking clean.

When I'm between contracts I do a lot of the care and maintenance myself.

Edit: I don't even have time to surf this forum, except when I'm at work.
No offense taken--honest! I was laughing when I typed it...more of a whimsical reply, but definitely not offended.

But seriously, I do not think the average person, even of this board, spend $3k a month just to maintain their car. That is a lot of money. We are just in different tax brackets.

In this case, I LOVE the fact that the total amount going out to pay every bill we have is less than what you pay to maintain your vehicles. Trust me, I definitely feel like the winner winner chicken dinner in this case!!!!

Ha!!!
Old 07-28-16, 02:59 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

No offense taken--honest! I was laughing when I typed it...more of a whimsical reply, but definitely not offended.

But seriously, I do not think the average person, even of this board, spend $3k a month just to maintain their car. That is a lot of money. We are just in different tax brackets.

In this case, I LOVE the fact that the total amount going out to pay every bill we have is less than what you pay to maintain your vehicles. Trust me, I definitely feel like the winner winner chicken dinner in this case!!!!

Ha!!!
Cool.

Oh, and the $3k includes my car payments, not just the maintenance.
Old 07-28-16, 03:01 PM
Thayios
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill Gates was once asked during an interview how he managed to amass so much wealth and still keep sane while doing everything (CEO, charities, etc.)

His response? I don't mow my own lawn

Words to live by, especially for those of us in the service industry (I.T. for me) where I can make more money by working than spend it doing something I don't want to do in the first place.

I do detail my car though, it's a hobby. The rest, someone else can take care of it lol.
Old 07-28-16, 03:45 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default I assumed that....

Cool.

Oh, and the $3k includes my car payments, not just the maintenance.
I assumed that was the case. Actually, that is not entirely true. My first thought was I highly doubt you had a car payment if you had that much disposable income to spend on upkeep.

I am very much looking forward to not having a car payment again. I would have loved to pay the car off in full (like our 22 year old did--kudos to him)....but I did a 3 year note. Still have Suze Orman in my brain telling me if you need more than 3 years--then you can't afford it. She was okay with car payments--but no more than a 3 year term. I'm guessing you could pay off this car if you wanted to. You are just choosing not to.
Old 07-28-16, 05:34 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

I assumed that was the case. Actually, that is not entirely true. My first thought was I highly doubt you had a car payment if you had that much disposable income to spend on upkeep.

I am very much looking forward to not having a car payment again. I would have loved to pay the car off in full (like our 22 year old did--kudos to him)....but I did a 3 year note. Still have Suze Orman in my brain telling me if you need more than 3 years--then you can't afford it. She was okay with car payments--but no more than a 3 year term. I'm guessing you could pay off this car if you wanted to. You are just choosing not to.
I used to think paying cash for everything was the best option. Now I find it's better to invest that cash and make money on it. I'm not saying that is best for everyone, it's best for me. Obviously I'm no investment guru or else I wouldn't be working at all. I work long hours far from home for months at a time. But I am paid well for my services, which is why I do it. Then when the job is done I take a nice vacation, back home.
Old 07-28-16, 06:17 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default Different tax bracket....

I used to think paying cash for everything was the best option. Now I find it's better to invest that cash and make money on it. I'm not saying that is best for everyone, it's best for me. Obviously I'm no investment guru or else I wouldn't be working at all. I work long hours far from home for months at a time. But I am paid well for my services, which is why I do it. Then when the job is done I take a nice vacation, back home.
We are definitely in a different tax bracket. If it was up to us, we'd be loving off social security. Fortunately, I've been working for the government for over 27 years (I'm 53) and hubby is retired government worker too. We both have PERS retirement and 457 on the side. We'll never be rich, but we'll never have to worry about the cost of groceries. And we've been vacationing internationally for 25 years (did that instead of having children).

I hate owing anyone anything. Even for a car. House will be paid off when I retire. That's the plan anyway...unless life throws a curve ball our way.

Old 07-28-16, 06:49 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

We are definitely in a different tax bracket. If it was up to us, we'd be loving off social security. Fortunately, I've been working for the government for over 27 years (I'm 53) and hubby is retired government worker too. We both have PERS retirement and 457 on the side. We'll never be rich, but we'll never have to worry about the cost of groceries. And we've been vacationing internationally for 25 years (did that instead of having children).

I hate owing anyone anything. Even for a car. House will be paid off when I retire. That's the plan anyway...unless life throws a curve ball our way.

We may be in the same tax bracket. Over half of my income is tax free and doesn't get reported on my taxes. I get per diem since I have to maintain a 2nd residence while working. I just thought I would mention that since you keep mentioning taxes.

Do you happen to work for the IRS?

Last edited by Davew77; 07-28-16 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-28-16, 08:03 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default Taxes?

We may be in the same tax bracket. Over half of my income is tax free and doesn't get reported on my taxes. I get per diem since I have to maintain a 2nd residence while working. I just thought I would mention that since you keep mentioning taxes.

Do you happen to work for the IRS?
I couldn't figure out where I mentioned taxes....but then I see "tax bracket." I just meant income.

I definitely don't work for the IRS. We are both state workers (one retired).

I don't think Federal employees have PERS. It's one of the strongest pension plans alive and kicking.
Old 12-15-16, 12:17 PM
mbleigh
Driver School Candidate

Curious if Lexus lets you set up a monthly payment schedule for it rather than a big once a year payment. For those who can't take a big hit, maybe the smaller once a month payment might be easier on the wallet. I know it's 6-in-one, half-dozen in the other, but I'm curious if they actually offer any flexibility. I'm guessing not.
Old 12-16-16, 05:51 AM
forcaport7
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just throwing this out there for those of you who have enform and want to use the remote start but can't seem to figure it out. on that 3rd press, some people have to hold it down for more than 20 seconds. I talked to one of the enform reps and he mentioned that the press and hold time is different per key fob.... I had been trying to figure mine out after watching a youtube video, and in the video the guy held his third push for 5-10 seconds before his car responded. I have to wait 20+ seconds. I just stick with the app.

Quick Reply: Lexus Enform expiration.....