RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Bought a thing

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 10:14 AM
Thayios
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bought a thing

Now I have to wait to get home to put on the thing (thanks to my other half sending me this picture and killing me at work)...blah

Bought a thing-6xlsb3x.jpg
Old 07-26-16, 10:45 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Sweeeet!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-26-16, 12:27 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

So what does this thing do?
Old 07-26-16, 12:33 PM
Thayios
Rookie

It makes a noise, this thing does!

Last edited by Thayios; 07-26-16 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-26-16, 01:03 PM
Thayios
Rookie

Stupid mobile app is TERRIBLE on iOS 10, I hope they fix it soon (and the website just fails to upload on mobile)

My thoughts:
  • Tip in throttle is much better sensitivity wise.
  • Mild increase in noise (OEM was actually really well designed)
  • Power feels better at higher range, not a HUGE difference but enough to know that little extra is there in the higher MPH/RPM range.
  • Worth the price!
  • Stupid hose clamps are not labeled, they are directional logo wise and the clamps are not the easiest to use (they are already loosened all the way from HPS, but they are still a PITA to move when you get the coupler on, I recommend wetting the coupler with water or something to rotate them BEFORE putting them on and on the TB/MAFS)
Before:

Bought a thing-3xdxtzl.jpg

After:

Bought a thing-0j8q2lq.jpg

Bought a thing-e95l2kz.jpg

Bought a thing-yfcsfn1.jpg
Old 07-26-16, 01:45 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I recently installed this pipe on my car as well. It's fairly nice, I just with the polished they inside. I will polish it myself one day when I have time.

Last edited by rcJten; 07-26-16 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-26-16, 02:55 PM
Thayios
Rookie

Originally Posted by rcJten
I recently installed this pipe on my car as well. It's fairly nice, I just with the polished the inside. I will polish it myself one day when I have time.
I noticed this myself and wondered why they didn't take the time to polish the inside, it can only help (unless the MAFS hates it)
Old 07-26-16, 06:17 PM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcJten
I recently installed this pipe on my car as well. It's fairly nice, I just with the polished they inside. I will polish it myself one day when I have time.
Did you notice any mpg improvement? Another CL member installed the Takeda CAI and had a 2-3 mpg improvement.
Also, what are the main differences between this and the Takeda. Is it only one uses the factory air box and filter and the other uses the cone type filter or one is better sound, power, etc. than the other?
Old 07-26-16, 06:19 PM
Thayios
Rookie

Originally Posted by ALE81
Did you notice any mpg improvement? Another CL member installed the Takeda CAI and had a 2-3 mpg improvement.
Also, what are the main differences between this and the Takeda. Is it only one uses the factory air box and filter and the other uses the cone type filter or one is better sound, power, etc. than the other?
I already noticed my MPG meter staying on the high side of 20 now more often especially on low throttle (that is, when I have my foot out of it).

I didn't like the idea of the "CAI" because it's just a ram air with a heat shield. The stock intake is what makes it a cold air intake as they re-use it whereas this way you're just sticking with the stock box (and that looks pretty well engineered including the connection to exterior air).
Old 07-26-16, 06:51 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Thayios
I already noticed my MPG meter staying on the high side of 20 now more often especially on low throttle (that is, when I have my foot out of it).

I didn't like the idea of the "CAI" because it's just a ram air with a heat shield. The stock intake is what makes it a cold air intake as they re-use it whereas this way you're just sticking with the stock box (and that looks pretty well engineered including the connection to exterior air).
I agree, the stock cool air system is very well designed. This is why I added the HPS and a Tom's air filter. I have not seen any significant MPG gains with the intake components though.
Old 07-26-16, 06:56 PM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thayios

Thanks for the answer. I haven't modded my intake yet but have been looking at the options out there. I agree that the stock setup whereas the air enters thru the grill then is directed up and into the air box looks to be solid to me. I'm wondering how much colder(denser) you could get than coming right in the front of the vehicle. I'll admit though I know nothing about intakes so others freely chime in, I'm open for the education.
Old 07-26-16, 07:09 PM
Thayios
Rookie

Originally Posted by ALE81
Thanks for the answer. I haven't modded my intake yet but have been looking at the options out there. I agree that the stock setup whereas the air enters thru the grill then is directed up and into the air box looks to be solid to me. I'm wondering how much colder(denser) you could get than coming right in the front of the vehicle. I'll admit though I know nothing about intakes so others freely chime in, I'm open for the education.
Yeah, I mean if a kit replaced ALL of that (hood intake included) with a smooth flowing mandrel bent pipe then I might consider moving to that. I try to avoid the fender wells now due to being up in snow/heavy rain at some times.

I've never agreed with pulling air from the engine bay with a conical filter, so I avoid it.
Old 07-27-16, 04:35 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I would appreciate knowing how this differs from the OEM intake. Is it just a smooth walled pipe to smooth out air flow? Looking at the pictures leaves me wondering how it is better than the OEM. Thanks.
Old 07-27-16, 05:58 AM
Thayios
Rookie

Originally Posted by Poqman
I would appreciate knowing how this differs from the OEM intake. Is it just a smooth walled pipe to smooth out air flow? Looking at the pictures leaves me wondering how it is better than the OEM. Thanks.
The only noticeable difference besides it being metal was that the tube was a larger diameter (reducer couplers were used by HPS to link to MAFS and TB).

The spots for the air intake microphone and such seemed to be much smoother transitioning versus OEMs hard plastic too.

Also, no bendable accordion section which can cause turbulence in air flow