RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Anyone try this aftermarket trunk spoiler from ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 09:08 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Anyone try this aftermarket trunk spoiler from ebay?

Anyone try this sellers trunk spoiler yet? Says comes in whichever OEM color chosen. I know OEM is best but this is more than half the price less than the OEM one. Bought some prepainted goods from eBay before and they were fine. Feedback appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182080822770
Old 07-14-16, 09:29 PM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 10lexISR6
Anyone try this sellers trunk spoiler yet? Says comes in whichever OEM color chosen. I know OEM is best but this is more than half the price less than the OEM one. Bought some prepainted goods from eBay before and they were fine. Feedback appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182080822770

I think a member here got one. I have been wanting to go for one, but afraid of the quality. So I think I might just wait until there are more options available for the RC. I want something alil more aggressive but not so ricy.
Old 07-15-16, 07:37 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

Owners with Infrared or Ultrasonic Blue Mica should be cautious about aftermarket parts not painted by Lexus, as those two colors are applied using a multi-layer paint process. My guess is that such parts would not be a perfect color match, as would one coming from the Lexus factory. Before ordering, you should search here or on Google to read about these colors are done. The cost savings would be about $300.00, but you are doing the installation yourself, so the net difference is more like $150 to $200.00. Someone with a calculator (or someone who passed math in 8th grade) can tell us what percentage that is of a $50,000.00 purchase price. (E.g.: 500 would be 1% of 50,000; if the cost were 250, that would be one half of one percent, so 200 is even less than that, and that's how the nuns taught us how to get a pretty good answer pretty quickly.)
Old 07-21-16, 01:19 PM
iceweasel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe these are resold from authorized dealers? My buddy owns a body shop and whenever he needs parts from a dealership it is always discounted. He got me a ultra white spoiler from lexus for $200. The paint match looks 100%. It came pre taped and has screws attached. All I did was shave the screws and used the double sided tape since my car is a lease and the legit method involves drilling your trunk.
Old 07-21-16, 03:50 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by iceweasel
Maybe these are resold from authorized dealers? My buddy owns a body shop and whenever he needs parts from a dealership it is always discounted. He got me a ultra white spoiler from lexus for $200. The paint match looks 100%. It came pre taped and has screws attached. All I did was shave the screws and used the double sided tape since my car is a lease and the legit method involves drilling your trunk.
Yeah I've seen those too but these don't appear to be OEM ones. I believe it says in the description these do not have the screws. I was going to buy one of those OEM ones from an authorized dealer on ebay but saw this one for much cheaper. Just wondering on the color matching. Also have ultra white.
Old 07-22-16, 05:26 AM
ozsplace
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got one yesterday and was going to install it today, so far I know:

- it does have screws - 4 of them
- it doesn't use the template to locate holes but rather some plastic location strips - I'll take pictures when I install
- it has gaskets all the way around
- it does not upgrade the springs but when I tested opened the trunk it lifted at the same speed
- the color is a perfect match
- fit appears to be perfect as well

i'll post pictures once I get it installed today
Old 07-22-16, 11:05 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by ozsplace
I got one yesterday and was going to install it today, so far I know:

- it does have screws - 4 of them
- it doesn't use the template to locate holes but rather some plastic location strips - I'll take pictures when I install
- it has gaskets all the way around
- it does not upgrade the springs but when I tested opened the trunk it lifted at the same speed
- the color is a perfect match
- fit appears to be perfect as well

i'll post pictures once I get it installed today
So it's the same one from the link i posted for around $120? Please let me know. Love to see the final product. Thanks!
Old 07-22-16, 12:19 PM
ozsplace
Driver School Candidate

So it's the same one from the link i posted for around $120? Please let me know. Love to see the final product. Thanks!
Yes the exact same one
Old 07-22-16, 12:25 PM
ozsplace
Driver School Candidate

Here are the completed pictures. It took about 1.5 hours to get done and I had my wife help me hold it in place at times.

Here is the spoiler when it was unpacked - color match is perfect

First step is to put the gasket on - IMPORTANT - do not peel the gasket side that connects to the car till the very last step

This spoiler uses four screw hold plastic hole markers to locate the drill spots. What we did was put on two first, line it up and tape them down and then did the outer two.

Has a hold that you drill into with a 1/8 bit. Make sure to get the angle correct

I had to remove the trunk cover inside the trunk - I used this tool to easily remove all the plastic holders. It did not break one of them

Here is a picture with the trunk cover removed

You can see the drill hole ring in the center of the picture. Make sure you use a magnetic bit when screwing in the screws

I used a unibit to drill the larger holes - the instructions say to drill to 5/16 but I drilled to 1/4 and the hole was plenty big

Them remove the gasket tape and stick down and screw in.

Looks just like the OEM spoiler

Last edited by ozsplace; 07-22-16 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-22-16, 03:06 PM
Waymok
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

With drill holes it'll definitely hold better. But I just 3m'd mine on and it worked fine, even with the Canadian weather!
Old 07-22-16, 10:18 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by ozsplace
Here are the completed pictures. It took about 1.5 hours to get done and I had my wife help me hold it in place at times.

Here is the spoiler when it was unpacked - color match is perfect

First step is to put the gasket on - IMPORTANT - do not peel the gasket side that connects to the car till the very last step

This spoiler uses four screw hold plastic hole markers to locate the drill spots. What we did was put on two first, line it up and tape them down and then did the outer two.

Has a hold that you drill into with a 1/8 bit. Make sure to get the angle correct

I had to remove the trunk cover inside the trunk - I used this tool to easily remove all the plastic holders. It did not break one of them

Here is a picture with the trunk cover removed

You can see the drill hole ring in the center of the picture. Make sure you use a magnetic bit when screwing in the screws

I used a unibit to drill the larger holes - the instructions say to drill to 5/16 but I drilled to 1/4 and the hole was plenty big

Them remove the gasket tape and stick down and screw in.

Looks just like the OEM spoiler
Beautiful! Thank you for the write up!
Old 07-30-16, 06:25 PM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

Anyone try this aftermarket trunk spoiler from ebay?-img_9094.jpg

I got mine today. i can't wait to install it. The color seems to be very close to the USB but i don't think is 100 percent matching. I'm wrapping it in black anyways so shouldn't matter to me.
Old 08-10-16, 08:19 PM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

I went ahead and installed it today. I didn't go with the drilling but rather 3M.

Old 08-10-16, 08:45 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by RealMCR12

I went ahead and installed it today. I didn't go with the drilling but rather 3M.
That's right, I forgot who said they bought one of these. So fit mentioned good? I know you said the color is 100%. How did you remove the bolts/studs? In your opinion, should I buy this? Lol. I emailed them today. Didn't see ultra white listed as an available color choice.
Old 08-10-16, 08:48 PM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

That's right, I forgot who said they bought one of these. So fit mentioned good? I know you said the color is 100%. How did you remove the bolts/studs? In your opinion, should I buy this? Lol. I emailed them today. Didn't see ultra white listed as an available color choice.
The Bolts and gasket and all that stuff come in a little bag.

It honestly does not seem any different than the OEM one. The fit was perfect. I avoided the drilling because if i want to remove this later in the future, i can try to remove it (hopefully without pulling the paint.). But It looks great, fits perfectly and I didn't change the springs. I closed and opened the trunk without issues. I tried to remove it after I had put it on and it's not coming off lol. I would say go for it.

Quick Reply: Anyone try this aftermarket trunk spoiler from ebay?