RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 11:41 AM
CharlesRCF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rock chips

Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this issue by I am getting a lot of rock chips on my bumper/hood. How do you guys handle this matter? Are there ways to prevent it? - Besides clear bra. Ways to repair it? Thoughts? Ideas? Inputs?
Old 04-06-16, 12:08 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Good video on repairing.

Old 04-06-16, 12:56 PM
CharlesRCF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Thanks man! This helps a lot.
Old 04-06-16, 01:07 PM
Kevin350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much touch paint and Avoid that road you're driving. Clear bra is the best option cause after so much rock chips it's going to need to get repaint.
Old 04-06-16, 01:33 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

avoid the road that caused it.

don't tailgate, especially lifted trucks without mud flaps, buses, or Semi's.
Old 04-06-16, 07:01 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good tips. It's amazing how I've been quite some distance behind a car or truck only to be startled ants surprised by the bullet-like sound of a small stone hitting my car. It's like it came out of nowhere.
Old 04-07-16, 06:19 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

IMO for some reason it always seems that the paint on Lexus vehicles chips very easy. My wife's 15 RX F-Sport has several chips on the front now and most of her driving is city driving.. I also found this on my two previous Lexus vehicles.
Old 04-07-16, 06:24 AM
Kevin350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JT4
IMO for some reason it always seems that the paint on Lexus vehicles chips very easy. My wife's 15 RX F-Sport has several chips on the front now and most of her driving is city driving.. I also found this on my two previous Lexus vehicles.
I agreed, my Rc350 chipped easier than my 2006 civic and Honda is not known for having tough paint. Only a few months in and I found a big black paint chip on my RC front bumper already.
Old 04-07-16, 06:34 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Regular car bras should be available for the RC by now. (I see that Colgan, who has always made the best, is offering free stuff if you will let them have your car in CA for 4 days.) I used one of those while on road trips on my SC430.
I tired of the mechanics of putting it on and off, and put a clear bra on the RC as soon as it was available (I had my car on day one of sales, and it took Xpel about a month to get the templates designed). Both work well.
As for Lexus paint, I cannot believe that the thickness of paint is much of a factor when it comes to a speeding stone, and suspect that Kevin is generalizing from insufficient data.
Old 04-07-16, 10:46 AM
Kevin350
Pole Position

I don't have any data to prove it. Just from driving the same route everyday. On my Honda when a rock hit my bumper I see white holes as it went thru the clear coat and on my RC I see black holes as it went thru the cc and paint to the black bumper. I'll find out when it's time to polish the paint.
Old 04-08-16, 11:33 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin350
I don't have any data to prove it. Just from driving the same route everyday. On my Honda when a rock hit my bumper I see white holes as it went thru the clear coat and on my RC I see black holes as it went thru the cc and paint to the black bumper. I'll find out when it's time to polish the paint.
I agree with you, as I previously mentioned, in my experience with my current and previous vehicles from Acura, Infiniti, MB and Lexus, driven on the same roads my two previous and current Lexus vehicles for some reason the paint chips much easier on the Lexus than on the others.

Like you, I also don't have any data, I have never took a reading with a paint depth meter and don't plan to.
Old 04-08-16, 05:35 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlesRCF

Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this issue by I am getting a lot of rock chips on my bumper/hood. How do you guys handle this matter? Are there ways to prevent it? - Besides clear bra. Ways to repair it? Thoughts? Ideas? Inputs?
No problems with paint chips but glass is a whole other story. Gotta be some of the softest glass ever.
Old 04-09-16, 07:38 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Soft glass? Really? Perhaps it was hard stones.

Last edited by tfischer; 04-09-16 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Revised my position based on latest poll numbers.
Old 04-09-16, 12:59 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by tfischer
Soft glass? Really? Perhaps it hard stones.
^^ This is great! ^^
Old 04-09-16, 02:19 PM
PeterLegen
Driver School Candidate

If you drive on the freeway you're going to get rock chips, even if you're not tailgating.

I live in SoCal and the freeways are littered by rocks and debris by so many vehicles dropping it or big rigs commuting through the area.

Either get a clear bra when your car is new or live with the chips. It's just a car guys

Quick Reply: Rock chips