RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Any Recommended Car Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 05:52 AM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Any Recommended Car Covers?

So Unfortunately I don't have a garage, as I still have my Camry, I'm not driving the RC as often so the RC just sits at home for now. I'm looking to buy a Car Cover for the time being and was wondering if anyone here had already purchased one?

Thank you
Old 03-30-16, 06:38 AM
AtomicRC
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RealMCR12
So Unfortunately I don't have a garage, as I still have my Camry, I'm not driving the RC as often so the RC just sits at home for now. I'm looking to buy a Car Cover for the time being and was wondering if anyone here had already purchased one?

Thank you
My RC unfortunately sits outside as well. Although I cannot speak from personal experience, when I first got the car I did some research on this forum as well as other sites and found that for the most part people are against car covers because they say often times they do more harm than good. For example, dirt and other particles often become trapped under the cover and when the cover moves or blows around from the wind it will often times end up scratching the paint. Also, keep in mind the paint on Lexus is pretty top notch, so leaving your car outside will not yield the same results as a Chevrolet for example. However, someone may have a cover they use on their RC that works very well. Hopefully some other members will chime in with their opinions.
Old 03-30-16, 07:37 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

I used a car cover for a few years when I parked my SC outside in the winter. I cannot recall the brand, but I shopped around and it was pretty easy to find a good cover, appropriate for the climate. (I sold it to another owner after I sold my SC to get my RC.)
After a while, I realized that the cover was a poor way of protecting the car, and I bought and assembled a "temporary" structure (from ShelterLogic). If you have the space, and a buddy to help you put it together, this is the way to go.

Old 03-30-16, 01:15 PM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AtomicRC
My RC unfortunately sits outside as well. Although I cannot speak from personal experience, when I first got the car I did some research on this forum as well as other sites and found that for the most part people are against car covers because they say often times they do more harm than good. For example, dirt and other particles often become trapped under the cover and when the cover moves or blows around from the wind it will often times end up scratching the paint. Also, keep in mind the paint on Lexus is pretty top notch, so leaving your car outside will not yield the same results as a Chevrolet for example. However, someone may have a cover they use on their RC that works very well. Hopefully some other members will chime in with their opinions.
Thanks for the input. Thinking i should just hold back on that.
Old 03-30-16, 01:21 PM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tfischer
I used a car cover for a few years when I parked my SC outside in the winter. I cannot recall the brand, but I shopped around and it was pretty easy to find a good cover, appropriate for the climate. (I sold it to another owner after I sold my SC to get my RC.)
After a while, I realized that the cover was a poor way of protecting the car, and I bought and assembled a "temporary" structure (from ShelterLogic). If you have the space, and a buddy to help you put it together, this is the way to go.

Looks sweet. Wish I had the space.
Old 03-30-16, 02:11 PM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

It's a nice way to keep the car out of the elements and not spend a ton of money for a new garage. I got several bids to extend the real garage sideways for a second car, and they were in the $25,000.00 to $30,000.00 range. This thing was only several hundred dollars (I forget the exact number, but the length you want and the thickness of the fabric make a difference. The "vents" above the door cost extra also.) I have a friend who has one for his Miata installed on the driveway pavement - mine is installed on the turf. See the ShelterLogic web page for all the details.

Last edited by tfischer; 03-30-16 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Removed suggestion to make the garage a gun-free zone.