RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

RC350 intake suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-16, 05:36 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tfische:uh:r
While we are on the subject, you forgot to mention the sky-high CA taxes. So not only do you have tons of extra paperwork, a nightmare of permitting processes and endless bureaucracies, you have to pay extra, too. Apparently, from the original post, it now looks like California apostrophes are being taxed as well - "for my girls RC," thanks to which we don't know if 10LEX has one girl or several. We may never know.
To the aforementioned, yes they are true. However, if you're insinuating I'm missing the apostrophe in "girls", is that not referencing "girl is"? That was not my intention, I was referring to my girlfriends RC. Perhaps I could have have placed the apostrophe after the (S), but it is not particularly necessary. On another note though, I do have several girls; my car, my truck and my 5 motorcycles. So now we know. 😆 DMV LOVES me!
Old 04-02-16, 07:25 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Wow! Somebody slept through some important 4th grade classes. Girls is the plural of girl. We use an apostrophe to show the possessive case. Girl's is the singular possessive, used when one girl owns or has something. Girls' is the plural possessive, when more than one girl is referenced. In the original sentence, "my girls RC" makes no sense. Clearly it's not a contraction (because "my girl is RC" is nonsensical even if we impute an omitted indefinite article) but a possessive. I simply noted that without the apostrophe, there is not way from the context to ascertain whether it's a singular or a plural, so the apostrophe is in fact particularly necessary if you want to communicate clearly, always an unstated assumption here. Since you are including both one individual and some personifications, placing the apostrophe after the s is the correct form.
Now that we've cleared that up, how do we get back to discussing intakes?
Old 04-02-16, 09:22 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by tfischer
Wow! Somebody slept through some important 4th grade classes. Girls is the plural of girl. We use an apostrophe to show the possessive case. Girl's is the singular possessive, used when one girl owns or has something. Girls' is the plural possessive, when more than one girl is referenced. In the original sentence, "my girls RC" makes no sense. Clearly it's not a contraction (because "my girl is RC" is nonsensical even if we impute an omitted indefinite article) but a possessive. I simply noted that without the apostrophe, there is not way from the context to ascertain whether it's a singular or a plural, so the apostrophe is in fact particularly necessary if you want to communicate clearly, always an unstated assumption here. Since you are including both one individual and some personifications, placing the apostrophe after the s is the correct form.
Now that we've cleared that up, how do we get back to discussing intakes?
Lol I stand corrected professor exemplary. Thank you for the grammatical English lesson. 😂 now I know. But yes back to the topic on hand. Apparently Lexus has yet to release this 50 state legal intake system for the RC. I suppose then I may have to succumb to Takeda and take my chances.
Old 04-03-16, 02:42 PM
mikha619
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the Takeda and I live in San Diego. Id say its pretty rare for a cop to ask you to pop the hood of this car. Ive been puilled over a couple times (once for speeding a little ) and they didnt even think about asking me to pop the hood. Most of the cops just complemented the car lol. But the Takeda sounds AMAZING.
Old 04-03-16, 09:16 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikha619
I have the Takeda and I live in San Diego. Id say its pretty rare for a cop to ask you to pop the hood of this car. Ive been puilled over a couple times (once for speeding a little ) and they didnt even think about asking me to pop the hood. Most of the cops just complemented the car lol. But the Takeda sounds AMAZING.
Yeah I'm sure it would be pretty rare to be sweated for it. I've heard the YouTube sound clip, I'm sure in person sounds much more impressive. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-13-17, 10:22 AM
peymoney7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air intake comparisons

A little late to the club as I just got my RC 350 F-sport w/all options about a month ago, including the F performance exhaust through Lexus and am looking to add an air intake as well; I think I'm going with the K&N over the Takeda (both EPA compliant) since it looks like it uses the factory airbox just replacing the OEM plastic intake tube and drop in filter. I imagine it probably won't be as loud as the Takeda, but should be about the same performance wise with greater longevity. Has anyone successfully installed and used the K&N intake for this model??
Old 02-13-17, 11:05 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by peymoney7
A little late to the club as I just got my RC 350 F-sport w/all options about a month ago, including the F performance exhaust through Lexus and am looking to add an air intake as well; I think I'm going with the K&N over the Takeda (both EPA compliant) since it looks like it uses the factory airbox just replacing the OEM plastic intake tube and drop in filter. I imagine it probably won't be as loud as the Takeda, but should be about the same performance wise with greater longevity. Has anyone successfully installed and used the K&N intake for this model??
I would suggest getting the AFE. Most popular intake for the RC350..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
The following users liked this post:
peymoney7 (02-13-17)
Old 02-13-17, 12:28 PM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

This isn't answering your questions -- but -- I've got the F Sport Performance Exhaust and the AFE Power Takeda intake. Together they sound glorious, not cheap at all. Turns heads all day. I would highly recommend. I picked up mine intake through Josh (Meraki) above.
peymoney7 (02-13-17)
Old 02-13-17, 01:00 PM
peymoney7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
This isn't answering your questions -- but -- I've got the F Sport Performance Exhaust and the AFE Power Takeda intake. Together they sound glorious, not cheap at all. Turns heads all day. I would highly recommend. I picked up mine intake through Josh (Meraki) above.
Thanks, I'll bet they do! I've got the F performance exhaust already and ordered both the K&N and AFE intake, so I think I'm going to try them both and see which I like better in terms of sound, feel and looks and just return whichever one I don't go with. Can't wait for the weekend now to get it all done and start cruising. In terms of performance not sound, do you feel the difference at all in the throttle and some extra hp gains/acceleration? Absolutely loving my new ride already, especially in terms of looks (Atomic silver w/rioja red interior), but just trying to add a little more power on the performance side as it's lacking just a little bit in that dept. for me.
Old 02-15-17, 04:43 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks, I'll bet they do! I've got the F performance exhaust already and ordered both the K&N and AFE intake, so I think I'm going to try them both and see which I like better in terms of sound, feel and looks and just return whichever one I don't go with. Can't wait for the weekend now to get it all done and start cruising. In terms of performance not sound, do you feel the difference at all in the throttle and some extra hp gains/acceleration? Absolutely loving my new ride already, especially in terms of looks (Atomic silver w/rioja red interior), but just trying to add a little more power on the performance side as it's lacking just a little bit in that dept. for me.
Are you talking about just adding a K&N filter to the stock airbox? If so don't as I did that first, and it was not amazing to say the least, but when I added the Takeda well that is a different story.
peymoney7 (02-16-17)
Old 02-16-17, 11:08 AM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't say there's a blazing performance difference. There is a bit of oomph for sure -- it just has a beefier feel than stock if that makes any sense. Your overall driving experience is definitely enhanced.
Old 02-16-17, 11:14 AM
peymoney7
Driver School Candidate

Well ya I meant the drop in filter and the tube while still using the factory airbox. Based on the instruction manual I perused you keep the stock airbox in place and replace just the OEM plastic intake tube. My thoughts are as follows...since the K&N utilizes the OE filter housing that's a terrific compromise. The open element filters are subject to fan wash and water ingestion by virtue of their being open to the elements. Additionally, those filters require more frequent periodic care as they get dirty much faster. If the K&N is designed to retain the factory filter housing the issue of fan wash and water ingestion are eliminated while the "sucking" sound of an open element filter is either eliminated or drastically reduced. The hard pipe and better flowing filter will still add horsepower, while not as much as an open filter, but the small loss in horsepower is more than made up for in longevity. Both intakes were delivered today, so this weekend is trial and error time as I'll be testing both. Another thing to consider is that I already have the F performance exhaust, so I don't really care to add too much more noise to make it obnoxious. Thanks again for the feedback, much appreciated and I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 03-14-18, 06:55 PM
Jumpkix
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the Takeda intake increase the amount of dust, dirt & grime in the engine bay as its no longer an enclosed box filtered from the intake duct flowing from the outside air?
Old 03-19-18, 07:23 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpkix
Does the Takeda intake increase the amount of dust, dirt & grime in the engine bay as its no longer an enclosed box filtered from the intake duct flowing from the outside air?
No, it does not, but you will need to clean the filter at least twice a year for optimum performance. Are you getting a "wet" or "dry" filter?
Old 03-19-18, 11:18 AM
louczar
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GearHead69
No, it does not, but you will need to clean the filter at least twice a year for optimum performance. Are you getting a "wet" or "dry" filter?
Thanks for the answer! Do you live in a city with not much in the way of dirt roads or dusty conditions? I only ask because I live in the country and soem of the roads can be pretty dusty / dirty with all the dirt haulers around here.

Does the wet or dry filters clean equally as well as each other?

Quick Reply: RC350 intake suggestions