RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Tire wear and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 06:14 AM
cjschober
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire wear and replacement

So I'm currently at the local Lexus dealer getting my 15,000 mile service done on my car and while having them check the alignment (which I had checked and done at 10,000), the inside of my rear tires are starting to wear down a bit. Having come from a long line of sports coupes, this is not new to me as tires can wear down and be replaced at about 30k miles. However, this guy is telling me that the RC's are getting new tires about every 15-20k miles. That just sounds ridiculous. Right now I'm not that worried as it's a Lexus company lease and wear and tear is covered (this is not a normal lease), but if the tires wearing on this car every 20k is true, then that means I'll go through tires about every 7-8 months living in Atlanta. We're due to buy this car at the end of my lease, but if that's the case, that's kind of a deal breaker for me. Anybody else encounter premature wear on these tires yet?
Old 03-25-16, 09:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

maybe need the PPE LCA bushings, that solved a lot of inner tire wear for the ISF guys
Old 03-25-16, 09:49 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

soft summer tires..
not surprising in the least, I barely managed 18,000 out of my Camaro SS Pirelli P6 tires. The Michelins on the RC are a bit better, but I won't expect them to last more than 25,000 miles.
Old 03-25-16, 11:29 AM
radcoupe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was all new to me as well. I wasn't told that the RC had a staggered fitment and never realized to ask about it. When I went in for my 1st service (5k) where tire rotation was one of the services to be done, my Service Advisor mentioned that couldn't be done because of the staggered set up. Later, I went to the Service Manager and he told me that the tires on the RC will last about that (15k-20k miles) due to the staggered set up and the suspension set up the RC has. He cautioned that since the tires on the RC can't be rotated to make sure the alignment is on. My service advisor didn't mention I needed an alignment at the time of my 5k service when I picked it up. If you go to www.lexus.com/warranty, click on the service and warranty tab, open the warranty tab, and under basic warranty it reads: "Wheel alignment and balancing are covered for 12 months or 20k miles, whichever occurs first." I'm wondering how many people know this, because I found this out on my own and was not told by my Lexus dealer this existed (not a surprise), but since this is written on the website plain and clear, it is there! I am planning on getting an alignment/balancing done just a couple weeks before my 1 year anniversary which is in May. Now like you, I did too opt to get the Excess Wear and Tear/use Insurance just for the extra added peace of mind not knowing what sticklers Lexus can be because I don't like hearing excuses. Will that cover "worn" tires like you mentioned in your post? I am also shocked the mere life these tires are promised to get. In my previous coupes, I was able to get out 30k-50k out of the life of the tires. This worries me and the last thing I want is to have to sucker up and replace the tires at lease turn-in....
Old 03-26-16, 06:43 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are these the all season michelin tires or summer tires? I was not able to see the OP state what type of tires they were
Old 03-26-16, 07:23 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am only asking as I do not know if the RC Fsport RWD comes in summer or all season tires and since he posted in the RC F sport and not the RC F, but who knows until he states otherwise :/
Old 03-26-16, 09:13 PM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least around here the RC F Sport RWD comes with summer tires, the RC F Sport AWD comes with all-seasons and the RC non F Sport comes with all seasons..
Old 03-27-16, 12:12 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Summer tires only last 20k miles at most. All seasons should last 30-50k but they are all pretty crappy vs summer tires. You guys bought a performance coupe. It's part of the "ownership" experience
Old 03-27-16, 01:59 PM
red93sc
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cjschober
So I'm currently at the local Lexus dealer getting my 15,000 mile service done on my car and while having them check the alignment (which I had checked and done at 10,000), the inside of my rear tires are starting to wear down a bit. Having come from a long line of sports coupes, this is not new to me as tires can wear down and be replaced at about 30k miles. However, this guy is telling me that the RC's are getting new tires about every 15-20k miles. That just sounds ridiculous. Right now I'm not that worried as it's a Lexus company lease and wear and tear is covered (this is not a normal lease), but if the tires wearing on this car every 20k is true, then that means I'll go through tires about every 7-8 months living in Atlanta. We're due to buy this car at the end of my lease, but if that's the case, that's kind of a deal breaker for me. Anybody else encounter premature wear on these tires yet?
I know when I purchased my car. They had a warning slip in with the manual. Stating the tires would wear about about 15K -20K. . My car came with the michelin tires. I had purchased these tires before on for my SC. This brand of performance tires wears pretty quickly. But the performance is pretty good.
You may want to move over to another brand if you are looking for a longer wear out of the tires.
I moved over to NITTO 555's I get about 45K out of these tires.
I really don't believe the staggered fitment affects the wear. To get the best wear out of the tires. Is to rotate the tires from the left to right side( this will require removing the tires off the rims) but its worth it to get the maximum wear out of the tires.
Old 03-28-16, 12:01 PM
cjschober
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SRC350F
Are these the all season michelin tires or summer tires? I was not able to see the OP state what type of tires they were
Sorry, I assumed that on the RWD model, that everyone had the same OE tires. These are the Bridgestone Potenza. They are soft summer tires. Never realized that and just assumed that they were all season since I we live in the Atlanta area. And after some research, I can't really seem to find any all season tires for this car. Anybody have any luck finding any? This feels like deja' vu with my old 2004 VW GLI all over again.
Old 03-28-16, 01:58 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

These are the Bridgestone Potenza.
Bridgestone makes many tires that carry the Potenza name. The nomenclature after the word Potenza tells what kind of tire it is.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Tire wear and replacement-bridgestone.jpg  
Old 03-29-16, 11:23 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Sorry, I assumed that on the RWD model, that everyone had the same OE tires. These are the Bridgestone Potenza. They are soft summer tires. Never realized that and just assumed that they were all season since I we live in the Atlanta area. And after some research, I can't really seem to find any all season tires for this car. Anybody have any luck finding any? This feels like deja' vu with my old 2004 VW GLI all over again.
do you have an RC350 or RCF?
I thought all F's had the Michelin tires;

you might try searching for RCF options if you don't mind (and your wheels can handle) wider tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....orce+COMP-2+A%

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...SortCode=57751

Last edited by mjeds; 03-29-16 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 05:32 AM
cjschober
Driver School Candidate

It's the RC 350 F-Sport. Which is why I posted it in the RC 1st gen forum. RC-F has their own forum.

Originally Posted by mjeds
do you have an RC350 or RCF?
I thought all F's had the Michelin tires;

you might try searching for RCF options if you don't mind (and your wheels can handle) wider tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....orce+COMP-2+A%

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...SortCode=57751
Old 03-30-16, 05:37 AM
cjschober
Driver School Candidate

Here's the list of results for tires. All summer or track tires. I guess they don't make all season yet for this car.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...SortCode=57647

And it lists, the OE are the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A unless you have the Dunlop. But mine are the Bridgestone.

So, with that being said, anybody know of all season tires for this car yet?

I feel like I'm spinning tires here. (Ba dump bump ching!)
Old 03-30-16, 09:14 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

It's the RC 350 F-Sport. Which is why I posted it in the RC 1st gen forum. RC-F has their own forum.

yup, didn't notice the forum, picked up the link from the new posts page

and my post was about searching on the RCF tires sizes for the RC350 F sport, not sure if the wheels are wide enough for them or not, was just a suggestion

Quick Reply: Tire wear and replacement