Question about Memory Recall w/ Keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 05:54 AM
legion455
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Memory Recall w/ Keys

Hey all.

I have a new RC 300AWD and have a questions about Memory Recall.

After you've setup the Driving/Seat Positions for a set of Keys:
Lock Keys to a Driving Position: Hold Driving Position, and then press and hold DOOR LOCK until you hear a beep.

Get in the car, drive somewhere. Then when you stop the car, put it in Park, open the door ..... Is the Seat Position supposed to go back some to facilitate Entry and Exit more easily?

I know my 2013 CTS Coupe did this, ... but I can't seem to find anywhere in the RC manual where it says this.

thanks for any help! (and btw, these RCs are one hell of a vehicle - w/ killer looks)
Legion
Old 03-18-16, 09:26 AM
Kevin350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it doesn't, I also thought with memory seat it does but it doesn't. Especially with the f sport seat it's hard to get in and out at my driving position. I want it to move back so I don't have to sit/lean on the outer seat edge. If it's a hidden setting somewhere I would like to know too.
Old 03-18-16, 12:23 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin350
No it doesn't, I also thought with memory seat it does but it doesn't. Especially with the f sport seat it's hard to get in and out at my driving position. I want it to move back so I don't have to sit/lean on the outer seat edge. If it's a hidden setting somewhere I would like to know too.
The only solution I've found is set driving seat position 1 for me, seat position 2 for my wife and seat position 3 for retracting the seat all the way back and lean it back so the side bolster is out of the way for entering and exiting. Takes just a few times to get used to hitting #3 before cutting off the car but I do it second nature now.

Last edited by Poqman; 03-18-16 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-18-16, 02:31 PM
Kevin350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poqman
The only solution I've found is set driving seat position 1 for me, seat position 2 for my wife and seat position 3 for retracting the seat all the back and lean it back so the side bolster is out of the way for entering and exiting. Takes just a few times to get used to hitting #3 before cutting off the car but I do it second nature now.
That's exactly what I did too! but I kept forgetting when I'm in a rush I gotta keep reminding myself to push 3. Suck, having to do it everytime tho.
Old 03-18-16, 04:08 PM
legion455
Driver School Candidate

Dang, ... so now we know Lexus has some work to do with getting their "Driving Position Memories" up to speed with the rest of the world.

the way it should work is ... open the door, NOTHING HAPPENS! ... press the start button,... THEN move the seats, wheel, mirrors into position... according to the keys memory selection. Turn off the engine, seats should move to the ENTRY/Exit Position and stay there. (btw, Cadillac already figured this crap out a long time ago!)

and while they're at it ,.... make it so that the HOME Screen is the DEFAULT screen for the vehicle, ... NOT Navigation.... only an UBER driver wants the NAV Screen to be the default!

still luv the car, .... just sayin! .... now where are those RAINSENSE Wipers????
Old 03-18-16, 04:16 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman
The only solution I've found is set driving seat position 1 for me, seat position 2 for my wife and seat position 3 for retracting the seat all the back and lean it back so the side bolster is out of the way for entering and exiting. Takes just a few times to get used to hitting #3 before cutting off the car but I do it second nature now.

this is what I do as well.

and FWIW the C7 Corvettes seats do not move back for exit either, but GM saw fit to put a specific button on the door for it.
Old 03-18-16, 04:19 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by legion455
Dang, ... so now we know Lexus has some work to do with getting their "Driving Position Memories" up to speed with the rest of the world.

the way it should work is ... open the door, NOTHING HAPPENS! ... press the start button,... THEN move the seats, wheel, mirrors into position... according to the keys memory selection. Turn off the engine, seats should move to the ENTRY/Exit Position and stay there. (btw, Cadillac already figured this crap out a long time ago!)

and while they're at it ,.... make it so that the HOME Screen is the DEFAULT screen for the vehicle, ... NOT Navigation.... only an UBER driver wants the NAV Screen to be the default!

still luv the car, .... just sayin! .... now where are those RAINSENSE Wipers????

well I have an RCF and I have my seat memory linked to my key and my seats and wheel do not move until I start the car.

however I do not use the key fob, I simply use the touch system to lock and unlock the car.

I used memory position #3 to exit.

and I completely agree about the home screen being the default, however just an FYI, if you are on any media screen when you turn off the car, the unit defaults back to that screen when you restart, the only time it goes to nav is if you turn off the car in nav or home screen mode.
Old 03-18-16, 04:35 PM
legion455
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mjeds
well I have an RCF and I have my seat memory linked to my key and my seats and wheel do not move until I start the car.

however I do not use the key fob, I simply use the touch system to lock and unlock the car.

I used memory position #3 to exit.

and I completely agree about the home screen being the default, however just an FYI, if you are on any media screen when you turn off the car, the unit defaults back to that screen when you restart, the only time it goes to nav is if you turn off the car in nav or home screen mode.
hmmmm, that's so weird! I also just use the touch on my RC300 and the seats move when the door is opened/unlocked! I also use Memory 3 to move the seat to Entry/Exit position.
I think the manuals are the same too, right?
Old 03-18-16, 04:36 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

hmmmm, that's so weird! I also just use the touch on my RC300 and the seats move when the door is opened/unlocked! I also use Memory 3 to move the seat to Entry/Exit position.
I think the manuals are the same too, right?

yes I believe so.
Old 03-18-16, 05:02 PM
legion455
Driver School Candidate

Here's another "Twilight Zone" moment for you ...
When you first get in the car, ... pressing any Mem position works ... turn on the car, drive, stop, turn off car ....
press any of the memory positions, .. NOTHING HAPPENS .... crack the driver door open, ... THEN the Memory Positions start working again! (my wife found this one)

And there's NO WAY the RCF should act any differently than the RC300 when it comes to Driving Position Memory!

My salesperson at the Lexus Dealer told me that the seat positions only moved when buckling and unbuckling the seat belts!!! ... and she's been driving a Lexus for 10 years!
Old 03-18-16, 05:21 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

yeah my RCF does that too.

the memory buttons apparently have no power after you shut the car off, but opening the door energizes the door module so that the window can crack open and then reclose when you close the door.

you really want odd.

there is no RAP (retained accessory power) power on the RCF, every car I have owned since 1997 retains power for 10 minutes after you turn the car off, or until you open the door, so you can roll up windows, close the sunroof, listen to the radio, etc. for about 10 minutes.

the RCF doesn't do this.

however, if you put the car into neutral, shut it off, then put it in park, you will have power for the radio and windows for 20 minutes.

now normally to restart the car, you would have to turn the car off at this point, then press the start button again to start the car. BUT if you hold the gear shift to the right while in park (leave in park and just push the lever to the right) and press the start button, the car will restart without having to turn it off first.
Old 03-18-16, 05:31 PM
legion455
Driver School Candidate

I'm expecting Rod Serling, .... to start posting in this thread any minute now! lol
Old 03-18-16, 05:33 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

I'm expecting Rod Serling, .... to start posting in this thread any minute now! lol

lol....................
Old 03-18-16, 10:30 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a method that might solve the issue where the seat is too far forward when entering the vehicle.
The seat will retract when the door is unlocked with the Smart Key.
Unfortunately... you still have to select your seat position 1 or 2 after being seated.
So it is not hands free as I would prefer.
SC430 auto-retracted wheel and seat upon exit and returned when key inserted, as we don't have a key to insert.

Pairing a Seat Position Button with a Smart Key
Button Settings:
Program seat button:1 to driver:1 preferred position (This driver uses Smart Key:1)
Program seat button:2 to driver:2 preferred position (This driver uses Smart Key:2)
Program seat button:3 to "seat out of the way" (all the way back, and or reclined as needed)

This method assigns a single "Smart Key" to the action "Unlock Door = Press Seat Button:3"
  1. Enter the vehicle with only Smart Key:1
  2. Start the car
  3. Press the "Door Unlock Button" and the "Seat 3 Button" simultaneously and hold until you hear a second beep. This assigns the "Unlock Door = Seat Button 3" to local Smart Key
  4. Repeat for Driver:2, Smart Key:2
Result: When you unlock the door with the smart key... the seat retracts out of the way

Last edited by Radical350; 03-18-16 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-19-16, 06:41 AM
legion455
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Radical350
I use a method that might solve the issue where the seat is too far forward when entering the vehicle.
The seat will retract when the door is unlocked with the Smart Key.
Unfortunately... you still have to select your seat position 1 or 2 after being seated.
So it is not hands free as I would prefer.
SC430 auto-retracted wheel and seat upon exit and returned when key inserted, as we don't have a key to insert.

Pairing a Seat Position Button with a Smart Key
Button Settings:
Program seat button:1 to driver:1 preferred position (This driver uses Smart Key:1)
Program seat button:2 to driver:2 preferred position (This driver uses Smart Key:2)
Program seat button:3 to "seat out of the way" (all the way back, and or reclined as needed)

This method assigns a single "Smart Key" to the action "Unlock Door = Press Seat Button:3"
  1. Enter the vehicle with only Smart Key:1
  2. Start the car
  3. Press the "Door Unlock Button" and the "Seat 3 Button" simultaneously and hold until you hear a second beep. This assigns the "Unlock Door = Seat Button 3" to local Smart Key
  4. Repeat for Driver:2, Smart Key:2
Result: When you unlock the door with the smart key... the seat retracts out of the way

I'm a little confused here.... are you saying to program Memory Position #3 for BOTH Key Fobs?
(if this can be done).

if so, .....
Driver #1, enter car, press "Start Engine" twice ... adjust seats/wheel/mirrors, the press SET , #1
Driver #2, enter car, press "Start Engine" twice ... adjust seats/wheel/mirrors, the press SET , #2

Next, Move Seat all the way back to an Exit/Entry Position, then press SET, #3.

Then, Driver #1 approach car with #1 Key Fob, ... enter, press/hold #3, then press DOOR UNLOCK until beep is heard.
then DITTO for Driver #2 with his Key Fob ... enter, press/hold #3, then press DOOR UNLOCK until beep is heard.

If this can be done, .... then BOTH Keys would move Seat to Position #3 when door is unlocked.

THEN, all the Driver has to do is Press either #1 or #2 after they've gotten into vehicle.

Of course, the last question is .... what will the car do when you stop and put it in park and/or turn it off. Will it move the seats back to position #3?

Quick Reply: Question about Memory Recall w/ Keys