new member with noisy cabin issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 12:01 PM
rc200t
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member with noisy cabin issue

hi
am new to here and need some help please.
firstly I live in the u.k and I know your version has some differences to mine but I'm sure my problem could be the same for yourselves as it is in mine.
I have an RC200T a month old from new and I'm experiencing noise in the cabin.
the only way I can describe it is its like the window is partly open but its not.i've been into my local dealership and they seem to think its because its a frameless window.i'm not sure if its a common issue and if lexus would do a fix.
I have owned several cars with frameless windows and not experienced the amount of noise I am in mine.it is noticeable when cars overtake or when cars pass in the opposite direction on a 2 lane road.
can anyone who has experienced this let me know what they did to cure it apart from turning the radio up. :-)
thankyou
Old 02-13-16, 02:29 PM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure if this is specific to the 2.0T but the 350 is silent. I'd check with your dealer.
Old 02-13-16, 02:50 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Did your dealer physically inspect all aspects?
In US... the windows automatically retract about 1/4 inch when the door is opened, and then return to fully closed after the door is closed. I'm sure the windows final position could be checked and or adjusted. Did they measure gap clearances, or look for missing weather stripping? Road test with you in the car?
Old 02-13-16, 11:57 PM
rc200t
Driver School Candidate

thanks for your replies.no the dealer didn't check any of the things you mentioned.the window retracts slightly here as well. as for the road test he did come out with me in the car and said it sounded the same as his demo car.no tests were done with any gapping all he said was it may be the seal needs to bed in as it does seem rather hard.
my reply was that for a premium brand car and the cost of the same, the wind noise is spoiling my enjoyment of the car.his parting reply was he would put in a case to lexus and see what they say.
looking at the model variant you have over there the RC350, the body is just the same so any wind/traffic noise could be the same.
so do I assume there is nothing I can do myself as in the way of a fix I will have to wait for lexus to come back with a reply?

Last edited by rc200t; 02-14-16 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-14-16, 03:24 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You could do some testing yourself with foam weather stripping and duct tape. Gently close the door with extra foam around window, or place duct tape around your door where it meets the body, video w/sound the before and after. If it is audible, I would like to hear an example as well. Sorry to hear this has happened to you. I agree with your expectations for a premium brand car and the cost... you should not have to jump through these hoops.
Old 02-14-16, 04:32 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I have the same issue but I thought it was normal. For me it sound like it is only coming from the driver window and sound like the window is slightly open.
Old 02-29-16, 12:52 PM
rc200t
Driver School Candidate

could I ask a favour of all you RC owners.slide a credit card on the outside of the window down the full length between the rubber seal and the glass with the door closed.
can you tell me if at any point the card is easier if not loose to slide in and out of the door seal on both sides ( driver and passenger side) please?especially towards the bottom of the glass.
Old 03-10-16, 01:19 AM
rc200t
Driver School Candidate

has anybody done and can report back on the credit card test so I can go back with some ammunition to my dealership ?
thanks
Old 03-10-16, 06:56 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

If I had a credit card I'd help you out, but I'm still using cash (the poor man's credit card).
Also, a written report from an owner here, no matter how complete, would not give you much information. Perhaps you should go to your dealership but, before talking to them, do a lap around the parking lot where the new cars are parked and see what your credit card tells you. Surely there is also an RC in the showroom. Then you will know what the difference is between your car and new ones that the dealer is selling.
Old 03-10-16, 07:48 AM
rc200t
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
If I had a credit card I'd help you out, but I'm still using cash (the poor man's credit card).
Also, a written report from an owner here, no matter how complete, would not give you much information. Perhaps you should go to your dealership but, before talking to them, do a lap around the parking lot where the new cars are parked and see what your credit card tells you. Surely there is also an RC in the showroom. Then you will know what the difference is between your car and new ones that the dealer is selling.
thanks for your reply the demo car the dealership has is just the same but as somebody posted on here that their's was quiet I wondered if there was any difference with the model for different countries apart from other differences.incidently my car is just over a month old now and has been the same from new.
Old 03-10-16, 11:21 AM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rc200t
thanks for your reply the demo car the dealership has is just the same but as somebody posted on here that their's was quiet I wondered if there was any difference with the model for different countries apart from other differences.incidently my car is just over a month old now and has been the same from new.
You can try taping up the window seal with the help of a friend to find out if it's an insulation issue or test drive another RC to see if their is a difference. I think I have the same issue as you but I'm not sure and I only have the wind noise on the highway.
Old 03-20-16, 07:04 PM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Just picked up a pre-owned RC350 and this is the same exact thing that is coming from my cabin. I'm taking in for service in two weeks and will check with them to see what it could be.
Old 03-21-16, 02:48 AM
rc200t
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RealMCR12
Just picked up a pre-owned RC350 and this is the same exact thing that is coming from my cabin. I'm taking in for service in two weeks and will check with them to see what it could be.

thankyou for your reply did you try the credit/plastic card trick am interested to hear your reply?
lexus don't seem to want to know otherwise I would have expected to hear something by now.all I've got "we have not had any other complaints".
not good enough reply from a brand such as this.
Old 03-21-16, 10:08 AM
Jeffers
Driver School Candidate

Might be worth buying a cheap cosmetic smoke machine from Ebay and filling the car with cosmetic smoke. If there are any seal leaks the smoke will find them, same way as the wind will whistle through the same gap when driving.
Used this method on my SC430 due to increasing wind noise and there was then an adjustment procedure to adjust the window guide rails to provide tighter contact between the rubber seal and the glass.
Old 03-30-16, 11:35 AM
69firebird
Driver School Candidate

I had a whistling noise on my RC 350. Tracked it to the outside mirror assembly. Rubbed in some paste wax to fill the small gap on the leading edge of the black cover on the bottom side of the assembly, also on the trailing edge of the protective film in the same area. Noise gone.

Quick Reply: new member with noisy cabin issue