Potential Buyer Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 03:39 PM
5ilver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Buyer Advice

Hi Club Lexus Forum Members,

I'm a potential buyer of a 2015 RC350 AWD with F Sports Series 1 or 2016 RC350 AWD with F Sport Series 1. Looking to leverage the experience of existing buyers since hindsight is 20/20.

I'm basically looking for a commuter coupe that is comfortable enough for a heavy traffic commute, but enjoyable enough to whip around on the weekend. I'm coming out of a 2013 Acura RDX daily commuter.

I have the following questions...
1) How is the 6 speed gearbox in the AWD version? Does it constantly hunt for the highest gear to keep fuel economy high?
2) Have any transmission / engine issues popped up for owners?
3) What did you cross shop? Any buyers remorse for purchasing this vehicle?
4) If you could change one thing about this car, what would it be?
5) Most importantly, what is your favorite thing about this car?

Sorry about the long list - these questions are what comes to mind when I'm looking to get a new car. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated in helping me make a purchase decision. Feel free to ask questions back if you think it will helps!

Cheers,
5ilver
Old 01-25-16, 08:37 PM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey, hope you're doing well.

Here are some answers:

1) The 6 speed gear box is just fine, I prefer it to an 8 speed gearbox. The car (like most) does move to higher gears, but when in Sport S and Sport S+ it's not horrible. I have the car in manual mode for most of my commute and I rev high all day, all the time
2) Have only had the car for 6 months, but no problems at all. This engine has been around for years and is tried and tested. Take care of this car and it'll take care of you
3) I looked at the BMW 435 -- the BMW was quicker but I feel the BMW look blends in with the sea of 328s. It was an alright car, but I liked the RC's road presence, reliability and seemed for youthful
4) Things I wish the car had were: a) Power Folding mirrors, b) wide screen GPS, c) lower suspension on the AWD (aftermarket springs solve this easily), d) non-machine faced wheels; I'm in a winter climate so I'm paranoid to switch to winters before the roads get salted, e) 50 more horsepower - I'm ok with the weight but always would like more. That said the 3.5L is a great engine, and you'll smile everytime it comes to life.
5) I have the car in Ultra Sonic Blue. I get all sorts of compliments on the colour... it's great. I love the growl when I drive. The road presence is great -- and -- like you, I use mine as a daily commuter. I sit in traffic going and coming from work, the comfort of the RC will make your ride home a joy (that extra 0.5 seconds the 435 buys you won't do anything for you in that situation). A nice bonus is the AWD. I've played around in the snow with Michelin X-ice3 tires and it's been solid.
Old 01-25-16, 08:43 PM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Also sent you a Private Message.
Old 01-26-16, 09:23 PM
5ilver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
Hey, hope you're doing well.

Here are some answers:

1) The 6 speed gear box is just fine, I prefer it to an 8 speed gearbox. The car (like most) does move to higher gears, but when in Sport S and Sport S+ it's not horrible. I have the car in manual mode for most of my commute and I rev high all day, all the time
2) Have only had the car for 6 months, but no problems at all. This engine has been around for years and is tried and tested. Take care of this car and it'll take care of you
3) I looked at the BMW 435 -- the BMW was quicker but I feel the BMW look blends in with the sea of 328s. It was an alright car, but I liked the RC's road presence, reliability and seemed for youthful
4) Things I wish the car had were: a) Power Folding mirrors, b) wide screen GPS, c) lower suspension on the AWD (aftermarket springs solve this easily), d) non-machine faced wheels; I'm in a winter climate so I'm paranoid to switch to winters before the roads get salted, e) 50 more horsepower - I'm ok with the weight but always would like more. That said the 3.5L is a great engine, and you'll smile everytime it comes to life.
5) I have the car in Ultra Sonic Blue. I get all sorts of compliments on the colour... it's great. I love the growl when I drive. The road presence is great -- and -- like you, I use mine as a daily commuter. I sit in traffic going and coming from work, the comfort of the RC will make your ride home a joy (that extra 0.5 seconds the 435 buys you won't do anything for you in that situation). A nice bonus is the AWD. I've played around in the snow with Michelin X-ice3 tires and it's been solid.
Thanks for the advice man - I appreciate the time you took to put that together. I do have some follow up questions if you have time to answer them. I do a similar commute from Mississauga to Toronto, so your advice is definitely valued.

1) You said you prefer the 6 speed to an 8 speed gearbox. Is there any specific reason for that? The only one I can think of is the higher revs make the car sound more aggressive, especially with an after market exhaust...but maybe I'm missing something since I don't actually have an RC350.
2) Awesome - just what I like to hear!
3) I do really enjoy the 435i, I think it looks pretty distinct from the sea of 3's out there. That being said, optioned out, the 435i ends up being deceptively more expensive than the sticker price. I would love to cross-shop an A5/S5, but I don't want to wait for the body change. Similarly, the new C-Coupe is going to only be released with the 4 cylinder upon debut I think, and it will be a further wait for the 6-cylinder. Also, the C-Coupe is going to go the same route as the BMW...optioned out it will cost an arm and a leg. I hear a lot about the new Infiniti Coupe but I have never really like Infiniti's. I don't think they've pumped out a quality premium driving machine since the G35 Coupe....just my opinion.
4) a) Power folding mirrors are a plus, but not a deal breaker for me. Good to note that they aren't available though. b) Good point c) Does the F-sport still feel like it needs to be lowered? Have you ever bottomed out on the crappy roads in the GTA? d) I'm with you on this, winter tires need to go on ASAP e) This is actually a very fair point. I wonder what the true 0 to 100 km on this car is. I've read everywhere from 5.0 to 7.5...and all are from "credible" sources.
5) I love the ultrasonic blue on the curves of this car. It rivals the LFA in terms of looks in my book. I'm not too concerned about people being faster than me in a straight line, I'm not much of a racer. Plus, anyone that is serious about racing is not driving a stock sports sedan / coupe lol. Is the car RWD bias btw? Under hard acceleration, can you actually feel it powering the rear more than the front?

Thanks man, I appreciate your help!
Old 01-26-16, 10:12 PM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5ilver
Thanks for the advice man - I appreciate the time you took to put that together. I do have some follow up questions if you have time to answer them. I do a similar commute from Mississauga to Toronto, so your advice is definitely valued.

1) You said you prefer the 6 speed to an 8 speed gearbox. Is there any specific reason for that? The only one I can think of is the higher revs make the car sound more aggressive, especially with an after market exhaust...but maybe I'm missing something since I don't actually have an RC350.
2) Awesome - just what I like to hear!
3) I do really enjoy the 435i, I think it looks pretty distinct from the sea of 3's out there. That being said, optioned out, the 435i ends up being deceptively more expensive than the sticker price. I would love to cross-shop an A5/S5, but I don't want to wait for the body change. Similarly, the new C-Coupe is going to only be released with the 4 cylinder upon debut I think, and it will be a further wait for the 6-cylinder. Also, the C-Coupe is going to go the same route as the BMW...optioned out it will cost an arm and a leg. I hear a lot about the new Infiniti Coupe but I have never really like Infiniti's. I don't think they've pumped out a quality premium driving machine since the G35 Coupe....just my opinion.
4) a) Power folding mirrors are a plus, but not a deal breaker for me. Good to note that they aren't available though. b) Good point c) Does the F-sport still feel like it needs to be lowered? Have you ever bottomed out on the crappy roads in the GTA? d) I'm with you on this, winter tires need to go on ASAP e) This is actually a very fair point. I wonder what the true 0 to 100 km on this car is. I've read everywhere from 5.0 to 7.5...and all are from "credible" sources.
5) I love the ultrasonic blue on the curves of this car. It rivals the LFA in terms of looks in my book. I'm not too concerned about people being faster than me in a straight line, I'm not much of a racer. Plus, anyone that is serious about racing is not driving a stock sports sedan / coupe lol. Is the car RWD bias btw? Under hard acceleration, can you actually feel it powering the rear more than the front?

Thanks man, I appreciate your help!

Great questions! I'll also respond to PM but...

1) I personally prefer the feel of 6 gears (I really only need 3 gears, 1,3 and 5). I am not concerned about smoothness or gas savings so it works for me. From the reviews that I've seen on YouTube, many people found the 8 gears in RWD models to be tedious to flick through -- I'm sure there are people who love having them though.
3) The 435 is definitely nice, but my main concerns with getting the car was maintenance and reliability. My secondary reason is there are just sooo many BMWs out there, so I personally wished for a different look.
4) The RWD car does 0-60 around 5.8, the AWD is about 6.0 and the 4 cylinder 2.0 Turbo clocks in around 7.5. The RC-F is around 4.3-4.5
5) Ultrasonic blue is an awesome awesome colour. I believe it's 5 layers of paint and the car starts of as being painted silver before the colour gets applied. I find it to be a higher maintenance paint in terms of swirls, so hand washing is a must - but - it's worth the work, it's unbelievably glorious when sparkling clean.

From what I've read the car is 70-30 split with a rear bias. The car can push 50% of the power to the front to operate in 50-50 as required.