RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Clear Bra Installation Kits ( Do it yourself or Pro install)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-16, 04:53 PM
red93sc
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clear Bra Installation Kits ( Do it yourself or Pro install)

Ive seen a few great Clear Bra Film Kits being offered online, to include installation videos. I was thinking about purchasing one to cover my front bumper and head lights.

Has anyone did this before or would you leave it to a shop to install?
Old 01-17-16, 06:26 PM
Sherwink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by red93sc
Ive seen a few great Clear Bra Film Kits being offered online, to include installation videos. I was thinking about purchasing one to cover my front bumper and head lights.

On something like a clear bra, I would recommend giving it to a shop to do. Which brand of clear bra do you want? I got XPEL put on my headlights and I love it
Old 01-18-16, 04:52 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered the 3M Pro kit online and did the front part of the hood, fenders, mirrors, headlights and bumper. I used my son as an extra set of hands for help. I was very pleased with the outcome. It's hard to get a perfect job the very first time you do this, but I think we got it 99%. No bubbles or dirt were trapped, but some small puckers were really hard to get out where there was a lot of stretching over contoured parts of the bumper near the headlights. The edge line is hardly noticeable. I followed the many YouTube videos to prepare. If you are handy, then I think you can do it in a clean environment. I figure for $240 I could afford to try this myself and if I failed, I still learned something. The dealers installer was working when my car came in for service and he told me we did better than some paid jobs he had seen. Point is newby's can do this.

Last edited by Poqman; 01-21-16 at 04:53 AM.
Old 01-18-16, 05:34 PM
red93sc
Rookie

Thanks guys for the quick response. I think I saw the opex brand online. I think I will try it starting with the headlights. I will keep you guys posted on my progress.
Thanks
Old 01-19-16, 09:51 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can i have a link to the 3M kit you are referring to? Thank you!
Old 01-21-16, 04:50 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

here is a link to the product information
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rd-Pro-Series/

I bought on eBay for $240 last March. Do a search on 3m Scotchgard Pro Series Clear Bra Kit lexus rc350 for sellers.
Old 03-30-16, 06:16 PM
red93sc
Rookie

Default Clear bra install ( Update)

Originally Posted by red93sc

Guys. I took the plunge and ordered XPEL Film off a vendor on Ebay.

I installed it on my headlights first as a test. Then this past weekend I Attacked the front bumper and lip. It took me about 3 hours to do each side. I learned that you have to have the entire front area clean of any dirt and lint fibers. Next alot of patients. The dealer installed film protection (unknown brand) is on the fender and hood, where you can see the lines. But the Xpel lays down so nice. that you can hardly see the lines on the bumper, daytime running lights and headlights.

Drosaid is the user ID to deal with. This is the link on ebay. Send him a message that you are a clublexus member. He will look out for you with a better deal as your package items together.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221796656670?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra Installation Kits ( Do it yourself or Pro install)-img_6138-large-medium-.jpg  
Old 03-30-16, 06:20 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Poqman
I ordered the 3M Pro kit online and did the front part of the hood, fenders, mirrors, headlights and bumper. I used my son as an extra set of hands for help. I was very pleased with the outcome. It's hard to get a perfect job the very first time you do this, but I think we got it 99%. No bubbles or dirt were trapped, but some small puckers were really hard to get out where there was a lot of stretching over contoured parts of the bumper near the headlights. The edge line is hardly noticeable. I followed the many YouTube videos to prepare. If you are handy, then I think you can do it in a clean environment. I figure for $240 I could afford to try this myself and if I failed, I still learned something. The dealers installer was working when my car came in for service and he told me we did better than some paid jobs he had seen. Point is newby's can do this.
Poqman I was wondering if you could highlight some of the main points when applying the protective film. Maybe in the future if I am in your area I can ask you for your assistance to reapply the film if I botch it up.
Old 03-31-16, 05:33 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Youtube has many videos and I watched several for learning the technique. Definitely a job to do inside in as dust free environment as you can get. Get two spray bottles, one for alcohol/water and one for soap/water and label them as "stick" and "slip". The soap/water allows you to float and slip the material on the surface. Keep both the metal and bra very wet as you do your preliminary fitting and get the material best centered with about a 1/16" gap around the perimeter. Once centered, fold back the material to expose the center and spray just the center with the alcohol to activate the adhesive. Now you lay it back on the surface and squeegee the center to anchor the material. Anchoring allows you pull and stretch the film. As you anchor the material, keep a look out for air bubbles or dust particles under the film. If you see any, pull the material back and redo until you have a clean bond. The material is very workable and you can keep stretching and adjusting without harming the film. Have a hair dryer or heat gun for relaxing the material in areas that need extreme stretching, but just warm it, not too hot. The stretching of the material around the front bumper "scoops" is extreme.

The hood, fenders and mirrors are straight forward and the material stretching is not bad. Look at
for getting the technique for the hood, fenders and mirrors. The front bumper and headlights are more challenging. Watch this video to see a bumper fitted.
The hardest thing for me was to eliminate the small excess material folds, (fingers), in the film in areas of extreme curvature. In the end, I had a few, but were in spots that weren't visible. Now that I know the material and understand that it can be fitted, pulled back and refitted to get the best fit, I don't think I would have any fingers. I was rushing it, but there is no need too. Just keep it wet and take your time.

When you order, specify if you have parking assist so they can cut the holes or not. I didn't have parking assist sensors to fit. What part of Va do you live?
Old 03-31-16, 10:53 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Thank you for all that information! I live in Norther Virginia