RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Side windows stay wet ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 02:36 PM
TerrySaur
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side windows stay wet ???

Does anyone have the problem my RC 350 has: after a car wash or rain, water seems to stay inside the door.

If I roll down the window and roll it back up, the outside surface of the window is soaked. It seems like water is trapped in the door for several days. This can't be normal!?!?

I found mention of this problem on another forum but no follow-up.
Old 01-15-16, 04:37 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, I believe this is normal on all Lexus vehicles. Everyone that I have owned did this!
Old 01-15-16, 04:50 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This has happened on several vehicles. I believe this is a common side effect of the window's internal weather strip retaining some moisture. But is usually dry after a few hours. Mine is dry within 2 hrs. in Florida weather. I use a quick-wax spray on my windows, to prevent streaks, so it is no issue to raise or lower the windows.

You may need to have a tech inspect it if it lasts for days.
Old 01-15-16, 05:15 PM
jackals
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrySaur
Does anyone have the problem my RC 350 has: after a car wash or rain, water seems to stay inside the door.

If I roll down the window and roll it back up, the outside surface of the window is soaked. It seems like water is trapped in the door for several days. This can't be normal!?!?

I found mention of this problem on another forum but no follow-up.
Yup, 1 of the complaints of have with this car. My windows are always wet when I roll down, its amazing. Only time its not is when its 90 degrees out and its been in the sun all day...
Old 01-15-16, 10:30 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2015 IS350 has this problem and yes this is normal. There are so many people questioning this that I just have to ask myself

Where is the water suppose to go?
How do other brands prevent this from happening to their vehicles? Does Audi, BMW, Mercedes have this problem? If not, Lexus should jot down some tips lol.
Old 01-16-16, 12:43 PM
TerrySaur
Driver School Candidate

I'm surprised to hear this is common on other Lexus models, too. It definitely didn't happen on my '08 IS.

If it's normal I can deal with it, but it seems like having extra water in your door can't possibly be a good thing.
Old 01-17-16, 05:52 AM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this happen on my 01 RX, 14 RX, 15 NX and four other Toyota products I owned over the years, I just thought it was normal but maybe non Lexus/Toyota products don't do this. I noticed it after washing my car and then heading out to a drive thru..
I had the 01 RX for thirteen years and never noticed any rust at the base of door so maybe it's a non issue.
Old 01-19-16, 10:11 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

After washing my cars the windows will streak when rolled down until the weatherstripping dries. In warm weather it usually dries after 45 to 60 mins and I have never experienced wet windows the day after I've washed my car.

I had experienced this on every brand of car or SUV I've ever owned over the years. Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti Acura etc all have done this.

As someone else mentioned, if you're experiencing water in your doors for days I would take it to service.
Old 01-20-16, 09:15 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As everyone has mentioned, yes there is a reason to why there is so much moisture trapped, it is caused by the felt. Now what this felt does is reduce the amount of decibels heard while the windows are closed to give a quiet/luxury car ride. It is by design, but as mentioned above, if it last for days without rain, talk to service
Old 01-20-16, 03:36 PM
TerrySaur
Driver School Candidate

Anyone else experiencing this for extended periods of time (couple days after rain), and not just for a few hours?
Old 10-16-16, 10:03 AM
liudizzle
Driver School Candidate

This is my ONLY complaint about the car so far - sometimes it'll be a couple days after a wash and it'll still have wet streaks when rolling the windows down. What a pain in the ***. Even my Honda Civic didn't have this problem.
Old 10-17-16, 05:55 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by liudizzle
This is my ONLY complaint about the car so far - sometimes it'll be a couple days after a wash and it'll still have wet streaks when rolling the windows down. What a pain in the ***. Even my Honda Civic didn't have this problem.
Have you taken the car to the dealer?

I can't imagine the windows on one of my cars streaking for a couple of days after washing it or after rain. IMO it can't be good that there is enough moisture to streak the windows inside the door for extended periods of time. BTW, I'm not doubting you or anyone else that it is happening to, I'm just saying...
Old 10-20-16, 12:39 PM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

First thing I noticed when I went home and detailed my car on practically the first day I got it. This drives me nuts....I live in PA....in spring and fall, it can take up to week to evaporate. I am not kidding...how can Lexus be ignoring this??
Old 02-04-22, 09:31 AM
2021nx300
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TerrySaur
Anyone else experiencing this for extended periods of time (couple days after rain), and not just for a few hours?
I have a 2021 NX and days after a rain I still get moisture on all windows when I roll them down then up. I will bring it in when I have a chance because this doesn't seem right and am afraid that it will affect the electronics in the door. This is my 4th Lexus and I never had this issue on the other 3. I will report back after I see the dealer.
Old 02-04-22, 09:56 AM
CharlieRC
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Take a microfiber towel/rag and work it behind the weather strip toward the edge (with your fingers, no tools)
on the rear edge of the strip. Slide the towel towards the mirror side of the door. I have done this for years on Lexus cars. I believe the
weather strips have thick material on them and they just hold water. I just have gotten in the habit of this over
the years when drying them after a wash.

Quick Reply: Side windows stay wet ???