RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Is it just me or.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 08:40 AM
radcoupe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me or.....

Do you feel that the Mark Levinson Audio doesn't have that thump? I mean for an almost 900 watt audio system, I feel that the quality of CD's and radio to sound very low. I had a Nissan Altima for work purposes and the stock radio in that had a lot of power and oomph at volume level 10! With the ML, I find myself having to raise the volume over 30 to experience a nice overall sound. I have turned up my bass, mid, and treble a couple notches, but IMO it lacks in overall CD and Radio quality. Sound is very low, nimble, and lifeless. Will probably present this concern to dealership next month since my 6 month service is due. Just wanted to see if I wasn't the only one that felt that the Mark Levinson 830 Watt audio system felt like it was lifeless (in terms of radio and cd's).
Old 11-15-15, 12:52 PM
letsgofast
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to ask about this. Is the Mark Levinson Audio even worth the 2600 extra costs?

Also, I noticed on the Lexus website that the Mark Levinson nav package isnt available when you try to build 2016 RC 350 f sport models. Any word on that?
Old 11-15-15, 04:53 PM
radcoupe
Driver

In my opinion, for what it's supposed to be and deliver, the audio quality lags with CD's and Radio. It just feels like the audio is low no matter how much you turn it up. I mean I'm not trying to blow the speakers hahaha. When I had a Bose Audio system in my old car, my goodness it was something else. I've noticed that the quality of the XM is superb with ML and you can instantly notice a difference when you switch to XM. Not sure why that is. No, I'm not too sure of the ML+Nav package for the 2016's...
Old 11-15-15, 05:29 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

With my audio streaming through my smart phone it's not unusual to have my volume up to 45+. I haven't heard the standard audio on the RC to compare, but it was great on my previous ES. IMHO, the ML was not worth the delta in price over the standard audio.

Last edited by Canesguy; 11-16-15 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-15-15, 07:29 PM
Kevin350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never spend any extra money for factory upgraded system. I can get way better sound and cheaper in the after market world.
Old 11-15-15, 09:57 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Is this the 2015 ML system you guys are talking about or the 2016? I did an audio test on this and I didn't think it lack oomph at all but not as good as getting your own aftermarket install.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-speakers.html

Problem w/ after market install, there are features that are going to be disabled when using a separate amp.
Old 11-15-15, 09:58 PM
radcoupe
Driver

Yea, for sure. Nothing beats after market. Even changing out and putting in a new deck will make such a crazy difference in overall sound. It's just a ltitle disappointing, that's all.....
Old 11-15-15, 10:03 PM
happy1977
Instructor

I think adding the JL cleansweep to the ML will make a difference and leave the factory amp as is.
Old 11-15-15, 10:07 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Also I don't think it's $2600 to add ML, that package is including the nav system which is $1500, the ML is around $1100, so there's room for adding the JL cleansweep.
Old 11-16-15, 08:33 AM
radcoupe
Driver

Originally Posted by happy1977
Also I don't think it's $2600 to add ML, that package is including the nav system which is $1500, the ML is around $1100, so there's room for adding the JL cleansweep.
I'm sorry, enlighten me on what a JL cleansweep is.
Old 11-16-15, 10:08 AM
nelson143
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by radcoupe
Do you feel that the Mark Levinson Audio doesn't have that thump? I mean for an almost 900 watt audio system, I feel that the quality of CD's and radio to sound very low. I had a Nissan Altima for work purposes and the stock radio in that had a lot of power and oomph at volume level 10! With the ML, I find myself having to raise the volume over 30 to experience a nice overall sound. I have turned up my bass, mid, and treble a couple notches, but IMO it lacks in overall CD and Radio quality. Sound is very low, nimble, and lifeless. Will probably present this concern to dealership next month since my 6 month service is due. Just wanted to see if I wasn't the only one that felt that the Mark Levinson 830 Watt audio system felt like it was lifeless (in terms of radio and cd's).
Yes, I was just going to post this..for some reason the ML on the RC F pales in comparison to the ML on the GS. I have a friend who recently purchased a 2015 GS F Sport with the ML and the sound on his car is much fuller, more oomph and just as clear. Maybe it's the acoustics in our RC F?
Old 11-16-15, 11:05 AM
radcoupe
Driver

Originally Posted by nelson143
Yes, I was just going to post this..for some reason the ML on the RC F pales in comparison to the ML on the GS. I have a friend who recently purchased a 2015 GS F Sport with the ML and the sound on his car is much fuller, more oomph and just as clear. Maybe it's the acoustics in our RC F?
Well, glad I wasn't the only one that noticed. Yea, come to think of it, maybe it is the layout of the Coupe, but I'm not sure. I'm going to bring it up when I take it in for my 6 month in December. See what kind of knowledge the dealership will enlighten me with hahaha
Old 11-16-15, 11:51 AM
Nightcrawl
Driver

Most people who get into my car comment on how good the ML sounds. I often have the volume up at around 42-45 when playing a CD, but digital radio doesn't often need to get turned up above 35 to sound loud enough. Turning off Surround Sound makes a significant difference too.
Old 11-17-15, 09:49 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the ML system in the RC is even better than it was in my IS. I'm not sure why you are having issues with CDs or the radio. I don't use either.

I have an iPod plugged into the USB port and 24 is usually a good volume, 30 if I'm really into it. Any higher than that, I'm afraid I'm going to blow a speaker. This is all bass heavy stuff, btw.

Another problem I've seen is when somebody uses Bluetooth or an Aux cable and they don't realize that the volume on the device is independent from the head unit.
Old 11-17-15, 10:23 AM
radcoupe
Driver

Yea, I just don't understand to achieve a good sound, why the volume has to be over 30. I had a Nissan Altima rental for work, and when I turned the volume up to 10, it was suddenly revolutionary and it clicked and made me wonder and think why the ML didn't have that quality....Mind you, this was the radio. When you turn to the radio with the ML, forget about it hahaha. I guess each brand vehicle is unique to its own.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or.....