RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Lexus Enform

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-15, 07:15 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Enform

Just received a letter from Lexus saying my Inform services are about to expire. They want $374.59 for another year of coverage.

It's disappointing that a luxury car company is nickel and dimeing its customers for a service that basically, costs nothing for them to provide. I don't think I'm extending this service.
Old 11-14-15, 07:25 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, $375/yr. is steep. What I may do is just get the minimal service, accident and emergency help, for about half that. I don't need their concierge or directions service.
Old 11-14-15, 11:24 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I just renewed mine for the Lexus Security and Enform remote only for $219. I don't need the directions service.

I think that all car companies with this type of technology will give it to you free for 6 to 12 months free and then charge you afterward. I know that GM does this is and it is way more expensive.
Old 11-14-15, 03:48 PM
RickHansen
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Australia only gets the GPS function but it's free. All other Enform features are not allowed here.
Old 11-14-15, 05:55 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nylawyer
Just received a letter from Lexus saying my Inform services are about to expire. They want $374.59 for another year of coverage.

It's disappointing that a luxury car company is nickel and dimeing its customers for a service that basically, costs nothing for them to provide. I don't think I'm extending this service.
+1 I'm with you. Got the same letter. I have not pressed the SOS button at all in the first year. The only thing I got out of this service was notifications on my cell phone from the car for door ajar or moon roof open. I would be willing to pay around $10/month for this, but over $30/month is not worth it to me.
Old 11-15-15, 01:03 PM
Thesil
Driver School Candidate

That's just ridiculous. I've never pushed the sos button in the year I've had my RC. How often would you need to use enfom anyway. U can use remote start from your key fob. I don't need to know when my windows or moon roof is open. I won't be purchasing the extension.
Old 11-16-15, 07:20 AM
rwickens
Driver School Candidate

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Remote Start will only work if you maintain the enform apps.
Old 11-16-15, 08:02 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by rwickens
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Remote Start will only work if you maintain the enform apps.
The Enform App Suite is free. The Enform Remote app and remote start are tied (and has an additional subscription) to the Enform Safety Connect subscription, which includes: "the peace of mind of knowing that assistance will be there when you need it most. Whether you're involved in a collision and unable to call for help, your vehicle is stolen, or there is some other type of emergency, assistance can be sent directly to your vehicle's GPS location."
Old 11-17-15, 12:02 PM
Thesil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
The Enform App Suite is free. The Enform Remote app and remote start are tied (and has an additional subscription) to the Enform Safety Connect subscription, which includes: "the peace of mind of knowing that assistance will be there when you need it most. Whether you're involved in a collision and unable to call for help, your vehicle is stolen, or there is some other type of emergency, assistance can be sent directly to your vehicle's GPS location."
You can remote start your car with the key fob. Press lock 3 times and hold. Car starts will run for 10 minutes or until you open a door. I do it in the winter to heat the car while out shopping. Just before I leave I turn it on. I have the RC F sport
Old 11-17-15, 12:03 PM
Thesil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rwickens
You can remote start with your key fob. Press lock 3 times and hold car will start
Old 11-17-15, 03:23 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

rwickens and dchar are correct, fob start functions are enabled only with current subscription
to Lexus Enform Remote.

When Lexus provided '80 range remotes for $500 the threads flamed with complaints about
the short range (and that they shut off when the door was opened)

Now that they provide virtually infinite range and guest driver monitor and car finder and status
reports plus the handy fob start here we are lamenting a fee. Would it be better to just charge
a thousand extra whether you use it or not?
Old 11-17-15, 04:01 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

basically costs them nothing? and how do you figure?

the system requires linking to Cell phone towers/repeaters to be able to locate your vehicle and send commands.

Lexus, like every other car manufacturer pays cell providers like Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, the privilege of using their cell towers.

Additionally do you think it is magic that the car connects to your phone app? somewhere there are banks of servers with your account information the hardware and software to run those servers are not free.

also there are banks of developers that created and have to maintain the apps, I'm betting their salaries are not free.

While $30 a month may seem a lot for road side assistance and emergency help if in an accident, it is competitive with other car manufacturers operator vehicle assist features:

BMW
GM
Ford
Hyundai/Kia
MBZ

The Lexus Enform system is only $0.17 a month more than I paid for OnStar and it actually has many more features.
Old 11-17-15, 04:55 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree 100% with your statement, and as a developer we are not cheap. LOL

Like you, I had OnStar and this is way better, and connects at least 99% of the time, which I couldn't say about OnStar.
Old 11-17-15, 08:53 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
rwickens and dchar are correct, fob start functions are enabled only with current subscription
to Lexus Enform Remote.
This doesn't sound right. Most late model GM cars have remote start from key fob and you don't need an OnStar sub for it to work.

I think if you forgo the Enform sub, you can still start via the fob but not from your phone.
Old 11-18-15, 01:39 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
This doesn't sound right. Most late model GM cars have remote start from key fob and you don't need an OnStar sub for it to work.

I think if you forgo the Enform sub, you can still start via the fob but not from your phone.

no the fob remote start in the Lexus is tied in and activated through the Enform app. no subscription = no remote start.

I went through this with my dealer, I couldn't get the remote start to work from the fob. The dealer had not activated my Enform Remote subscription.

once they did the fob remote start worked just fine.

---

GM cars are wired different, there is a separate module for the remote start and for OnStar, in the Lexus they are tied together.

BTW Lexus doesn't use OnStar for their Safety Connect service, they use Sirius/XM Safety Connect. (different service than Sirius/xm radio, but same company).

Quick Reply: Lexus Enform