RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Tinted Windows and Blind Spot Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 07:20 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

GearHead: I would never doubt your truthfulness, but thanks for the link to the article on tint shades.
Rad wants to put a 35% tint on his car windows; rounding off a bit, this means only one-third of the light will go through the glass to his eyeballs. This means there will be a lot of things out there that he will not be able to see, and the distance at which he can perceive objects will be substantially reduced.
The difference between a 3 and a 10 on a dimmer is substantial. Why anyone would want to impair his ability to operate the vehicle in any respect is simply beyond me.
Tinters might want to make one final check, and I hope they do and report back here, because I don't know the exact answer to this: call your insurance carrier (not your agent), ask for the legal department, and inquire as to whether the company will offer a spirited defense in an accident situation involving a vehicle on which the light-transmitting properties of the glass had been reduced 65% by the insured.
Old 10-13-15, 12:12 PM
iceweasel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 15 % and I can see it fine since it is bright orange. I usually drive with my windows down at night because it is too dark anyways. And the 5% I got in the back is like literally pitch black at night. All I see is lights no outlines of the car. It all depends on the tint brand as well.
Old 10-13-15, 02:18 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
GearHead: I would never doubt your truthfulness, but thanks for the link to the article on tint shades.
Rad wants to put a 35% tint on his car windows; rounding off a bit, this means only one-third of the light will go through the glass to his eyeballs. This means there will be a lot of things out there that he will not be able to see, and the distance at which he can perceive objects will be substantially reduced.
The difference between a 3 and a 10 on a dimmer is substantial. Why anyone would want to impair his ability to operate the vehicle in any respect is simply beyond me.
Tinters might want to make one final check, and I hope they do and report back here, because I don't know the exact answer to this: call your insurance carrier (not your agent), ask for the legal department, and inquire as to whether the company will offer a spirited defense in an accident situation involving a vehicle on which the light-transmitting properties of the glass had been reduced 65% by the insured.
Thanks Tim for your confidence in me. Thirty five percent (35%) is still pretty clear as I have it on my RC also. I can see your point though or not depending on what window time percent I have LOL Out in the West the Sun is pretty intense all year, and we do just about anything to keep it out of the car. If I still lived in the NE or NW or lived in the Midwest I would just keep the factory UV tint as that would be enough.

This same discussion came up about why would anyone want to Remote start their car. If you lived in the NE, NW or Midwest I can see why you would want to preheat the car and seats, or if you lived in the SE, and West why you would have to cool the car off before getting in.

I had 15% on the back window of my Camaro and swore I would never have it that dark again. As soon as it gets to be under 100 degrees in the afternoon I can drive home with the windows down. Soon I hope.

Same thing goes for the window tint as it is a regional issue.
Old 10-13-15, 03:37 PM
tfischer

GH: as usual, you are correct, sir.
Old 10-15-15, 08:22 AM
RSee
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by radcoupe
I'm talking about keeping the look of the car clean and classy and imo, 35% is just right!....believe it or not, I got stopped and got a "fix it" in my old car one time and I had 35 all around. Took it off, got signed off, and re-applied it again cause that s*** was ridiculous! It's tough out here in Cali, not sure where you're from, but it is tight here...recently on FB, our local Police Dept. put up a post about it being a week of patrol dedicated to stopping and catching cars with illegal window tint....
Where do you live brother,what city ??? so I never pass thru
dang it,cops are waaaay 2 bored in some cities.They have time to post **** on Facebook and to chase these petty offenses.
Old 10-15-15, 09:15 AM
tfischer

Rad lives where it is "tough" and "tight."
Can't we find that easily enough?
Old 10-20-15, 09:09 AM
RSee
Rookie

Rad lives where it is "tough" and "tight."
Can't we find that easily enough?
It's Compton maybe ???
Old 10-20-15, 10:26 PM
radcoupe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSee
Where do you live brother,what city ??? so I never pass thru
dang it,cops are waaaay 2 bored in some cities.They have time to post **** on Facebook and to chase these petty offenses.
Hahaha! Apologize for the late post reply...yes, believe it or not there was a post on FB. I live in Fresno, California. It is definitely "tough" and "tight" Lmbo! Decided to stick with no tint. I already get enough attention with the RC and dirty looks from Police here, don't need anymore thank you very much. Plus the owner of our gym here has a 2015 Lamborghini SV, no tint hahaha. Windows on the RC are already sleek and tight, think putting tint on them will make it harder to see. Just my opinion I thought about lately, because visability in general on the RC is very poor.
Old 10-21-15, 10:32 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Hahaha! Apologize for the late post reply...yes, believe it or not there was a post on FB. I live in Fresno, California. It is definitely "tough" and "tight" Lmbo! Decided to stick with no tint. I already get enough attention with the RC and dirty looks from Police here, don't need anymore thank you very much. Plus the owner of our gym here has a 2015 Lamborghini SV, no tint hahaha. Windows on the RC are already sleek and tight, think putting tint on them will make it harder to see. Just my opinion I thought about lately, because visability in general on the RC is very poor.
If you think the visibility is bad on the RC you should have seen the Camaro, which I had. To see the stop light at an intersection you had to tilt your head into the windshield to just be able to see it. It was like looking out of tank windows. The RC is much better, but probably not as good as a sedan.
Old 10-21-15, 09:16 PM
radcoupe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GearHead69
If you think the visibility is bad on the RC you should have seen the Camaro, which I had. To see the stop light at an intersection you had to tilt your head into the windshield to just be able to see it. It was like looking out of tank windows. The RC is much better, but probably not as good as a sedan.
I can only imagine that! So I dropped off my RC for the supposed software update. Got an Enterprise Rental (woooo whooo, a Dodge Dart :/) got a call around 5 my advisor told me that they are rolling out the update in December....what he said they did was re-calibrated the ECU for now. So December he said I'll be back in. Man I missed my RC I was expecting a Lexus Courtesy car, but all 80 of them were not available hahaha I am having withdrawals.
Old 10-22-15, 12:44 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

I can only imagine that! So I dropped off my RC for the supposed software update. Got an Enterprise Rental (woooo whooo, a Dodge Dart :/) got a call around 5 my advisor told me that they are rolling out the update in December....what he said they did was re-calibrated the ECU for now. So December he said I'll be back in. Man I missed my RC I was expecting a Lexus Courtesy car, but all 80 of them were not available hahaha I am having withdrawals.
Radcoupe, what was the ECU calibration for? Sorry to hear you got a Dodge Dart. So the NAV update will be coming out again in December, is that correct?
Old 10-22-15, 12:50 PM
RSee
Rookie

Originally Posted by GearHead69
Radcoupe, what was the ECU calibration for? Sorry to hear you got a Dodge Dart. So the NAV update will be coming out again in December, is that correct?
I almost asked the same question.
All the data for the Nav is stored on lil memory card behind the plate in center console.
Old 10-22-15, 01:59 PM
tfischer

The little card memory card is a great step forward from the DVD drives and the hard drives of previous systems. This has no motors or other moving parts, and I think the updates are less expensive.
Old 10-22-15, 04:51 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by RSee
I almost asked the same question.
All the data for the Nav is stored on lil memory card behind the plate in center console.
I saw the SD card when I first got my car and I was exploring everything. Radcoupe indicated that he got his ECU updated, and that controls the engine so I was curious what specifically was changed.

I need to take my car in for its 10 month or 10K service and will ask them next month about the NAV update. When mine was done in July it was a firmware update as it wiped out the special image I had when the system first boots up.
Old 10-22-15, 04:57 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

The little card memory card is a great step forward from the DVD drives and the hard drives of previous systems. This has no motors or other moving parts, and I think the updates are less expensive.
I totally agree Tim. Anything that doesn't have moving parts will last much longer. The only thing I think that is on the SD card is the map information. I did see that the map update is about $189, but I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Tinted Windows and Blind Spot Warning Light