RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

How-To: LED Interior Bulb Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 07:56 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How-To: LED Interior Bulb Replacements

Took me about 30-45 mins to do this only because I did it at night in my garage. If I were to do it again, I'd do it during the day, in the driveway, where you can open up both doors fully and run the air conditioning to stay cool.

Now, this isn't the most thorough How-To post but lets be honest.....it's light bulbs people, we aren't installing headers, so I didn't get too descriptive since most of its common sense when you get into the installation. The one thing to note is that the pics don't do the "level of brightness" any justice. These new LEDS are MUCH MUCH MUCH brighter. The best frame of reference for brightness is the picture of the vanity lights (the comparison photo). That specific picture gives a good perspective of the difference in brightness.

Hope this helps someone. Post your questions here vice sending me a PM, that way everyone can learn from the feedback. Cheers!

THREAD UPDATE: There are videos now to go along with the writeup.

Step 1: Place Order

There are only 7 LED bulbs in the interior that can be changed or need to be changed. The Front/Rear headliner bulbs are already LED and don't need replaced. I chose these bulbs based on price and reputation of the company. I've order from iJDMtoy.com in the past and they burnt out quickly so I'm hoping www.superbrightleds,com hold up better.

Step 2: Verify Parts and gather (1) tool needed

Ensure you have the correct bulbs when they arrive.

Step 3: Door lights

GENTLY pry the light cover off with a pick tool (see image above for the tool I'm referring too). I can't remember which direction you pull from, but you'll be able to tell easily when you GENTLY pry from the front/back edge which is the correct way. Below pics show the stock bulb illumination.

Stock bulb: Door Lights

Step 4: Door Lights

Separate the clear lens cover (not pictured, but it's the clear lens that is mounted to the door) from the mounting bracket that holds gray plastic bracket (pictured) together. BE GENTLE. Please note that the gray piece of plastic separates into two pieces, and you must separate them to install the bulb. Install bulb, reassemble and put back together.

Step 5: Door Lights

LED Bulb.

Enjoy the brightness.

Step 6: Foot Area

Foot area was a PITA only because I twisted the mounting bracket out like an idiot......don't do that, it's a pain in the a$$$$$ to twist back in there unless you're a contortionist. Here is what you SHOULD do.

Gently pry the plastic cover off using the pick tool, then use the pick tool to gently pry out the bulb, install new bulb, replace cover. That's it....30 seconds to do passenger, 10 mins to do drivers side since I twisted the socket out of the mounting bracket (DUH).

Stock bulb:

LED Bulb:

Step 7: Vanity Lights

GENTLY pry from the left side (it's the same on both driver/passenger side).....always pry on the left side, the vanity light cover. It's a pretty stubborn lens cover to remove, so be patient and slowly work it out (again, from the left side of the lens). Remove bulb, install bulb, reassemble....GENTLY!

Step 8: Vanity Lights

Stock Bulb:

LED Bulb:

Comparison (Stock Bulb (LEFT), LED Bulb (RIGHT):

Step 9: Trunk Light

Gently pull from passenger side (right side) of lens cover the light bracket (remember, pull down from passenger side). Separate the light bracket pieces (black and clear piece), install bulb, reassemble.

Stock Bulb:

LED Bulb:

Couple videos since some folks were still confused, hope this helps:

Last edited by toystry; 01-08-16 at 04:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
and3re (04-27-17)
Old 09-30-15, 08:52 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up!
Old 09-30-15, 09:08 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for sharing, great details!
Old 09-30-15, 11:43 PM
AussieRC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Radical350
Thanks for sharing, great details!
+1
Old 10-01-15, 11:33 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Great write up.
Old 10-02-15, 09:11 AM
radcoupe
Driver

This is great! Thank you very much. Will you be changing out your reverse lights to leds also? I was looking into doing them and I know there's a section in our manuals on how to change out the reverse lights, but for the life of me, I do not know how to get access into the housing or pry those pins out that cover the top of the trunk where you fold in and gain access from there....
Old 10-02-15, 02:25 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by radcoupe
This is great! Thank you very much. Will you be changing out your reverse lights to leds also? I was looking into doing them and I know there's a section in our manuals on how to change out the reverse lights, but for the life of me, I do not know how to get access into the housing or pry those pins out that cover the top of the trunk where you fold in and gain access from there....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ght-bulbs.html
Old 10-02-15, 08:09 PM
radcoupe
Driver

Awesome! Much appreciated.
Old 10-03-15, 07:29 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

After reading that post, I replaced my backup lights with bright LEDs and the difference is spectacular. I had already done most of the other replacements (I left my footwell lights standard, as I just have never felt the need for much light down there), so now my RC is ready to go, day or night.
Old 10-07-15, 02:50 PM
RSee
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Toy...
Thanks for sharing man.This looks awsome.
When I'm done with CAI & exhaust I'll turn my time towards this lil project!
Old 10-14-15, 09:54 AM
radcoupe
Driver

For the door lights, what's the trick or how do you separate the clear lens cover? I got as far as un-plugging the piece, but from there don't know how to separate the clear lens plastic cover from the housing......
Old 10-14-15, 10:45 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Rad:
It's hard to explain. My recollection is that the piece that holds the bulb separates from the shroud. At first, it looks like it's all one piece and you can't get to the bulb, but if you look closely you will see the two pieces, which snap together. Separate them to get at the bulb. See Step 4 above.

Last edited by tfischer; 10-14-15 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Removed most references to the Demo Primary Debate.
Old 10-14-15, 12:19 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by radcoupe
For the door lights, what's the trick or how do you separate the clear lens cover? I got as far as un-plugging the piece, but from there don't know how to separate the clear lens plastic cover from the housing......
It's pretty self explanatory once you get it out.....don't nuke it, it's simple and you'll see once you remove it.
Old 10-14-15, 04:25 PM
radcoupe
Driver

Hahaha, seeing "GENTLY" in the instructions in every step worries me! I'll get it. Thank you for the explanation tfischer.
Old 10-14-15, 10:14 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet write up!
Wish I had something like this when I did mine, I broke many panels lol

Quick Reply: How-To: LED Interior Bulb Replacements