RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Going from a 4GS FSport to RC FSport?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-15, 03:00 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts
Talking Going from a 4GS FSport to RC FSport?

Hello RC people,

A GS owner needs your opinion here. I'm starting to like the RC a lot now and thinking about trading my GS in for an RC. Well RCF is still my first choice but my wallet won't allow it, so a 350 it is! I've never driven it though and my sales manager is out of town until next week. I won't even get near any salesmen if he's not there cause they always harass me into getting a bad deal.

Is going from a GS to RC a bad idea? And how about the insurance, will I be paying more since it's a 2-door coupe? This is not something I look forward to!
Old 09-09-15, 04:31 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Hello RC people,

A GS owner needs your opinion here. I'm starting to like the RC a lot now and thinking about trading my GS in for an RC. Well RCF is still my first choice but my wallet won't allow it, so a 350 it is! I've never driven it though and my sales manager is out of town until next week. I won't even get near any salesmen if he's not there cause they always harass me into getting a bad deal.

Is going from a GS to RC a bad idea? And how about the insurance, will I be paying more since it's a 2-door coupe? This is not something I look forward to!
I can't tell about insurance as I went from a 2011 Coupe to the RC350 F-sport.

Is it a bad idea? That depends on your lifestyle. Do you have kids, a wife or g/f, and always like taking your friends around with you? If so maybe a 2 door coupe is not for you as the back seat is worthless for putting anyone. If you need the backseat for people, cargo, etc. then you already answered your own question.

As far as not driving one yet, talk to your dealers fleet manager (Internet Sales) as they don't care as much about commission as the normal sales people do as they care more about moving inventory quickly, and you get a much better deal.

No one can pressure you into just accepting a garbage deal, as your in charge. Do your homework, talk to Costco Car buying service (Fleet Dealer) or a credit union car buying service and they will get you the best deal and probably from your dealership. If you are a member of AAA they also have a car buying service and you don't even have to deal with the dealer. AAA will bring the car you specify to you to test drive. Easy-Peasy.

Good luck, and go test drive one already, but just don't sign anything.
Old 09-09-15, 05:29 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GearHead69
I can't tell about insurance as I went from a 2011 Coupe to the RC350 F-sport.

Is it a bad idea? That depends on your lifestyle. Do you have kids, a wife or g/f, and always like taking your friends around with you? If so maybe a 2 door coupe is not for you as the back seat is worthless for putting anyone. If you need the backseat for people, cargo, etc. then you already answered your own question.

As far as not driving one yet, talk to your dealers fleet manager (Internet Sales) as they don't care as much about commission as the normal sales people do as they care more about moving inventory quickly, and you get a much better deal.

No one can pressure you into just accepting a garbage deal, as your in charge. Do your homework, talk to Costco Car buying service (Fleet Dealer) or a credit union car buying service and they will get you the best deal and probably from your dealership. If you are a member of AAA they also have a car buying service and you don't even have to deal with the dealer. AAA will bring the car you specify to you to test drive. Easy-Peasy.

Good luck, and go test drive one already, but just don't sign anything.
Thank you!

Yeah my Internet manager is on vacation and he'll be back next week, I already told him I'll test drive one when he comes back.

I don't have any passenger, 99.9% of the time it's just me. How's the cabin (front area)? Is it small like the IS or almost the same as the GS? How about quietness and smoothness? I know a coupe's suspension will be a little stiffer and I'm cool with that. But outside noise can be a pain. Is the ML system good?
Old 09-09-15, 05:53 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you!

Yeah my Internet manager is on vacation and he'll be back next week, I already told him I'll test drive one when he comes back.

I don't have any passenger, 99.9% of the time it's just me. How's the cabin (front area)? Is it small like the IS or almost the same as the GS? How about quietness and smoothness? I know a coupe's suspension will be a little stiffer and I'm cool with that. But outside noise can be a pain. Is the ML system good?
I'm coming from a 2011 Camaro, so small is relative to me. The RC350 does have a little over 45" of legroom, whereas my Camaro and Wife's ES330 only had 42".

I can't tell you if it is the same as an IS, but to me it is very spacious and I'm a big guy. The interior noise is excellent, and half the time I don't even know it is running. The suspension with variable ride controls can vary how it rides. Normal is plush, and each step up from Sport to Sport+ gets a bit stiffer, and the 8 sped shift faster especially in full manual mode. I hardly hear anything outside unless it is a Harley and it is beside me.

I do have the ML, and to me it is great. You can't have too much horsepower or enough wattage. With 17 speakers and 825 watts of power I can get my rear view mirror to dance and my pants leg to move with the beat. I'm a rocker from way back and I can tell the difference especially with a little Lead Zeppelin playing. You do have to spend a few minutes setting up the sound system to your likening.
Old 09-09-15, 06:39 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GearHead69
I'm coming from a 2011 Camaro, so small is relative to me. The RC350 does have a little over 45" of legroom, whereas my Camaro and Wife's ES330 only had 42".

I can't tell you if it is the same as an IS, but to me it is very spacious and I'm a big guy. The interior noise is excellent, and half the time I don't even know it is running. The suspension with variable ride controls can vary how it rides. Normal is plush, and each step up from Sport to Sport+ gets a bit stiffer, and the 8 sped shift faster especially in full manual mode. I hardly hear anything outside unless it is a Harley and it is beside me.

I do have the ML, and to me it is great. You can't have too much horsepower or enough wattage. With 17 speakers and 825 watts of power I can get my rear view mirror to dance and my pants leg to move with the beat. I'm a rocker from way back and I can tell the difference especially with a little Lead Zeppelin playing. You do have to spend a few minutes setting up the sound system to your likening.
Oh, these are excellent news! Thanks again man!

Now I just need to test drive it and work on the numbers.
Old 09-09-15, 07:25 PM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the 4GS before. You'll' miss the roominess and large screen, but that's about it. The RC has a smaller body which is perfect for making those tight lane changes on our busy freeways. It's sporty and looks better IMO.
The RC's front seats feel larger than the 3IS. ML is the same (I had it with the 4GS and now with my RC)
I can't comment on insurance since I was with a different company and on a family plan when I had it.
PS: You can takeover my lease if you're interested...PM me.
Old 09-09-15, 08:24 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by elusive
I had the 4GS before. You'll' miss the roominess and large screen, but that's about it. The RC has a smaller body which is perfect for making those tight lane changes on our busy freeways. It's sporty and looks better IMO.
The RC's front seats feel larger than the 3IS. ML is the same (I had it with the 4GS and now with my RC)
I can't comment on insurance since I was with a different company and on a family plan when I had it.
PS: You can takeover my lease if you're interested...PM me.
I can't take over any leases cause I'll have do a trade in for my GS. Plus I want a silver one with rioja interior.

I agree on making tight lane changes, can't really do that easily with the GS.
Old 09-10-15, 07:24 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't take over any leases cause I'll have do a trade in for my GS. Plus I want a silver one with rioja interior.

I agree on making tight lane changes, can't really do that easily with the GS.
Get the GSF! :P It should be coming out soon ahhaha make all the sharp turns with a 467 hp car ;D
Old 09-10-15, 08:44 AM
BossHu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1RC feels a bit roomier than the 3IS, mainly because the cabin is a bit further back due to the coupe setup of the car. Other than the touch pad based navi controls, everything else is pretty much to the spec of 3IS.

Suspension wise, 1RC is a bit harder and tighter than the 3IS. After all, the 3IS is intended for more of a general crowd. 1RC feels a bit geared more towards the sportier crowd.

1RC f-sport comes with 19inch wheels. 3IS f-sport standards are 18inch wheels unless you op for dealer option upgrades.

I'm loving my 1RCF.

GS... LS... ES... in my opinion... just different size boats... it floats around when you drive them! LOL
Old 09-10-15, 10:40 AM
zeyger
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello RC people,

You're not going to feel a big difference in insurance. If you'd like, I can run a quote for you just to see where you would be if you decide on it.

I've always preferred coupes over sedans. Itching to get into a coupe myself
Old 09-10-15, 03:01 PM
walkedu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Insurance shouldn't be too bad at all.

The difference in my insurance from a brand new RC (fully loaded)vs my 3 year old Z4 is $11.00 a month in favor of the RC.

That actually caught me by surprise honestly. Would have thought a brand new car that dips in the 60k range would be a lot more.

I was looking at a fully loaded M235i with all the M performance parts available before I got my RC's, and insurance for that was $8.00 a month more than my Z4. I really dont know why but it was. That's through a family friend also which has been our insurance broker for decades.
Old 09-10-15, 06:16 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

The thing is the GS costs more than the RC right? I think mine is valued at $55-$60K while the RC is under $55K, so the insurance should be cheaper right?

I'm 27 with clean records and been driving since 17.
Old 09-10-15, 08:01 PM
walkedu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The thing is the GS costs more than the RC right? I think mine is valued at $55-$60K while the RC is under $55K, so the insurance should be cheaper right?

I'm 27 with clean records and been driving since 17.
The RC fsport is like 48 and change.

My UW one is fully loaded and came with some dealer add ons such as rims and other stuff. So it was priced a little over 61k. Our IR RC was priced a bit cheaper since it doesn't have a spoiler and some other functions.

Either way insurance shouldn't be bad if your record is clean.

I remember when I was 25-27 I had 8 points on my record and insurance was pretty harsh. $646 a month for a M3 as a recreational car and Jetta as a DD at the time.
Old 09-11-15, 08:48 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Alright guys, I got a few quotes and it's looking good.

I'm currently paying $900 a year for my 2014 GS 350 and if I switch the following vehicles I'll be paying:

2015 GS 350 = $928
2015 RC 350 = $898
2015 RC F = $1020

Surprisingly the RC F isn't that much expensive, considering how much power it has. Hmm.. If only I can get the lease numbers in my favor.
Old 09-11-15, 09:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Don't you still have a sizable amount of time left on your GS lease? And didn't you roll a lot of negative equity from your previous 4GS into this 4GS F Sport when you made that move so early in the lease?

This is crazy. You're going to have a ton of negative equity from THIS 4GS coupled with the negative equity from the previous GS to roll into this RC...the lease is going to be crazy.

Originally Posted by BossHU
GS... LS... ES... in my opinion... just different size boats... it floats around when you drive them! LOL
Having had all three this really isn't the case. The LS and ES are boats, but the GS isn't boaty at all. You do realize its on the same chassis as the IS and RC right? They have a lot more in common with the GS than they are different.

Quick Reply: Going from a 4GS FSport to RC FSport?