RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Wrapping chrome vs. more chrome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-15, 12:33 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrapping chrome vs. more chrome!

I realize I am getting older when I see the different generations and how they "react" to chrome.

I see quite a few folks that are spending HUNDREDS of dollars trying to get rid of any visible chrome on their cars....

So, here I am and I am looking for MORE chrome. Perhaps my fascination with a totally chromed out Harley Davidson I suppose....the more chrome, the more I liked....but alas, apparently I am old.

Anyway, I already have my eye on a OEM Chrome insert for the door handles. I think they were $179 for the pair. Great Christmas gift after being married for a couple decades.

I know this is a long shot, but does ANYONE have a picture of even an opinion (not from someone that HATES chrome) of what this may look like on the car? I think it would look pretty cool, but I realize I am in the minority of many folks spending so much money hiding their chrome.

Gotta laugh....at myself mostly.

Dawn
Old 09-02-15, 02:07 PM
walkedu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are pictures online floating around of a chrome RC350.

I would opt for wrapping in chrome just in case you would like to take it off later. Wrap in general last for a long time as long as you take care of your car. Ive had a few cars fully wrapped and they lasted for years. Just go to a reputable place with a good portfolio in your area.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/chr...icle-1.1929415
Old 09-02-15, 02:30 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, talk about a mirror finish. Not for me. Dawn, I love chrome also, as I have tons of it on my 65 Mustang Fastback, but IMHO too much chrome on these cars will make it look as though you stole your kids car. In the end it is your car, and if you want to chrome it out then do what makes you feel good. With that being said there can't be too much chrome on a Harley. Again just my $.02
Attached Thumbnails Wrapping chrome vs. more chrome!-peter-s-mustang.jpg  
Old 09-02-15, 03:56 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default No!!!!!

That is not what I meant to say.

I should have said "Owners wrapping THEIR chrome vs. more chrome!"

I don't want to wrap my car with chrome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a small insert that goes (somehow) onto the door handle. It's not even the whole handle...but just a small insert. That is what I was talking about.

But now I can't even find the link (should have bookmarked it) that sold the OEM chrome piece for the door handles.

Oh well....
Old 09-02-15, 04:06 PM
walkedu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hahah, I think I understood the question correctly, but what I was trying to say was I would wrap the insert if possible. Its easier to go back to stock and shouldnt be any installation necessary. Might be cheaper and less of a headache in the end also.
Old 09-02-15, 04:08 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not a fan of chrome in general but factory accents don't bug me too much. With that being said, are you trying to draw attention to your door handles? Because naturally that is what it will do.
Old 09-02-15, 04:14 PM
SonicMotor
Lexus Champion

Ain't nothing wrong with a little chrome, but for me personally, chrome wheels and little items are the thing for me. I restore old chevys also (doing a 47 stylemaster lowrider right now) and do love me some chrome, as long as it's factory
Old 09-02-15, 04:19 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default Drawing attention...?

Originally Posted by FR500GT
I'm not a fan of chrome in general but factory accents don't bug me too much. With that being said, are you trying to draw attention to your door handles? Because naturally that is what it will do.

Not sure if I want to draw attention to my door handles....it's just that it is the only area I saw where I could add a nice accent. I never saw chrome on door handles (like the one you can add to the lexus)....either the whole door handle was chrome or it wasn't.

I wouldn't mind drawing attention to the door handles....either way. Just a cool little accent.

But I can't find the link anymore anyway and I can't seem to find anything for the 2015 Lexus on google.

Does anyone remember where that link was on these message boards for a few aftermarket OEM features? They were $179 for the pair.

Dawn
Old 09-02-15, 04:37 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by kymbakitty
That is not what I meant to say.

I should have said "Owners wrapping THEIR chrome vs. more chrome!"

I don't want to wrap my car with chrome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a small insert that goes (somehow) onto the door handle. It's not even the whole handle...but just a small insert. That is what I was talking about.

But now I can't even find the link (should have bookmarked it) that sold the OEM chrome piece for the door handles.

Oh well....
Well now that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 09-02-15, 07:43 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default Found them!

This is the chrome that I'd like to add to my doors.

Old 09-02-15, 09:30 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SonicMotor
Ain't nothing wrong with a little chrome, but for me personally, chrome wheels and little items are the thing for me. I restore old chevys also (doing a 47 stylemaster lowrider right now) and do love me some chrome, as long as it's factory
I love a nice chrome 5 spoke wheel. That's the direction I want to go, but I can't seem to find anything that I like yet.
Old 09-03-15, 06:28 AM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default I think it's an addition....

Originally Posted by walkedu
Hahah, I think I understood the question correctly, but what I was trying to say was I would wrap the insert if possible. Its easier to go back to stock and shouldnt be any installation necessary. Might be cheaper and less of a headache in the end also.
Unless I'm looking at the accessory incorrectly, I don't think it's something I can wrap. The chrome accents (better be chrome...they are $90 each) are something that you put over the car handle...I'm guessing via glue, but that's just a guess.

It's just a small accent of chrome, which I like. I would like to see a car with them on...but that might be a while (or never). Maybe "sticking" a piece of chrome to a car like this isn't the most popular thing to do, but to each his own. Personally, I would never cover up chrome with black wrap either (to me, that seems to fit the description of sneaking your kid's car).

Thanks all...at least I found the website that sells the chrome door handle accents.

Last edited by kymbakitty; 09-03-15 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-03-15, 07:42 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by kymbakitty
Unless I'm looking at the accessory incorrectly, I don't think it's something I can wrap. The chrome accents (better be chrome...they are $90 each) are something that you put over the car handle...I'm guessing via glue, but that's just a guess.

It's just a small accent of chrome, which I like. I would like to see a car with them on...but that might be a while (or never). Maybe "sticking" a piece of chrome to a car like this isn't the most popular thing to do, but to each his own. Personally, I would never cover up chrome with black wrap either (to me, that seems to fit the description of sneaking your kid's car).

Thanks all...at least I found the website that sells the chrome door handle accents.
That looks tasteful. You're right it is probably held on with 3M double stick tape since is is just and small add on. It is ABS (plastic) Chrome, which for $90 each is high.

Last edited by GearHead69; 09-03-15 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-03-15, 09:41 AM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default Another website?

Originally Posted by GearHead69
That looks tasteful. You're right it is probably held on with 3M double stick tape since is is just and small add on. It is ABS (plastic) Chrome, which for $90 each is high.
I wonder if there are other places to get that EXACT same thing and it's just super expensive because it is for a 2015 new model. And maybe they've been making those for various models for years.

I don't mind spending a few dollars for better quality, but I don't need to spend more just to be duped into thinking it is better material or design if it's not.
Old 09-03-15, 02:44 PM
JamesEarl
Driver School Candidate

For some reason I think adding chrome accent pieces to a Lexus coupe makes it look.... tacky. Like when people try to dress up a car with a bunch of crap from autozone; chrome hubcaps, chrome wiper blades, chrome vents that attach to fender with a sticker, chrome antennas, chrome door edge protectors, chrome trim, etc. I do like chrome on muscle cars and bikes though.

full disclosure - I'm one of those people that are spending $ to cover my chrome.

Quick Reply: Wrapping chrome vs. more chrome!