RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Front plate/bracket question on F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 07:30 AM
jackals
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front plate/bracket question on F Sport

Does this snap into place, or do they drill?
I am talking about the OEM one that comes with the Lexus RC.

Just wondering how it goes on, and from a removability standpoint
Old 08-27-15, 09:46 AM
edecho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OEM bracket needs to be drilled. There are many other after market no drill ones that utilize the tow hitch instead. I bought the Cravenspeed one but I'm leaving it unmounted until i get a fix it ticket

http://www.cravenspeed.com/lexus-pla...e-plate-mount/
Old 08-27-15, 10:02 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Front plate/bracket question on F Sport

Grimmspeed also makes one and I think is better because of the flexibility to move it around after it's been bolted, I also think they are both vendors on here so they may be able to hook you up with a discount
Old 08-27-15, 10:28 AM
jackals
Driver

UGH -

thanks for replies. I want NO front plate, however, dealer said they are getting car from sister store and didn't know if it had it on . Was on their showroom.

if it was drilled and they take it off, the car will have holes in the bumper now I guess?
Old 08-27-15, 10:57 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jackals
UGH -

thanks for replies. I want NO front plate, however, dealer said they are getting car from sister store and didn't know if it had it on . Was on their showroom.

if it was drilled and they take it off, the car will have holes in the bumper now I guess?
My license plate holder is the OEM center mounted and you do not have to drill. It is mounted with plastic wire ties. I watched them install it before driving off the lot.
Old 08-27-15, 11:01 AM
jackals
Driver

Originally Posted by Poqman
My license plate holder is the OEM center mounted and you do not have to drill. It is mounted with plastic wire ties. I watched them install it before driving off the lot.
There is hope! its obviously the OEM one... so it does not drill. There is no way to drill it? Only with plastic ties?
Old 08-27-15, 01:51 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

There is hope! its obviously the OEM one... so it does not drill. There is no way to drill it? Only with plastic ties?
I had the same concern that if it was going to be drilled, then I would buy a side mount. Salesman and I went over to service dept. and explained my concern. Service said no problem because no drilling required. He then removed the shroud under the radiator to get access to the back of the grill and wire tied it.
Old 08-27-15, 05:45 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Good to know. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-28-15, 09:45 AM
jackals
Driver

WELL..... they drilled it in. Just came in today, they removed it and said because the honeycomb style of the f sport and the fact its black and the grill has holes, its not remotely noticeable.

They sent me pics of it up close, short distance, and medium distance. Only can tell on the up close like in your face pics.

Not going to sweat it... my question is does anyone have any suggestions on what I can fill the tiny tiny holes with. Right now it looks 95% as its barely noticeable and I have OCD. How can i get it to 98-99%.

Salesman said maybe something with rubber. I really just need something black that can fit in the hole.

I welcome any suggestions. Thanks!
Old 08-28-15, 10:31 AM
BossHu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELL..... they drilled it in. Just came in today, they removed it and said because the honeycomb style of the f sport and the fact its black and the grill has holes, its not remotely noticeable.

They sent me pics of it up close, short distance, and medium distance. Only can tell on the up close like in your face pics.

Not going to sweat it... my question is does anyone have any suggestions on what I can fill the tiny tiny holes with. Right now it looks 95% as its barely noticeable and I have OCD. How can i get it to 98-99%.

Salesman said maybe something with rubber. I really just need something black that can fit in the hole.

I welcome any suggestions. Thanks!

http://www.bumperplugs.com - I use to use these on my 2IS when the drilled holes were exposed. But on my 3IS and my 1RCF I opt not to do anything since you really can't see it.

If you really need it plugged, I'd say get those and cut to fit.
Old 08-28-15, 10:32 AM
jackals
Driver

Originally Posted by BossHu
http://www.bumperplugs.com - I use to use these on my 2IS when the drilled holes were exposed. But on my 3IS and my 1RCF I opt not to do anything since you really can't see it.

If you really need it plugged, I'd say get those and cut to fit.
Let me ask you since you know what its like in person... With the F Sport grill (where the RC is even bigger than the IS)... honestly is it worth it, or is it so miniscual and blend in that its not worth it.
Old 08-28-15, 10:41 AM
BossHu
Rookie

Let me ask you since you know what its like in person... With the F Sport grill (where the RC is even bigger than the IS)... honestly is it worth it, or is it so miniscual and blend in that its not worth it.
My thoughts exactly, thats why I didn't get them.

I would say do some clean up on the hole and cut off the shavings that's still attached to the bumper. It would make the hole much less noticeable.
Old 08-28-15, 10:57 AM
jackals
Driver

Originally Posted by BossHu
My thoughts exactly, thats why I didn't get them.

I would say do some clean up on the hole and cut off the shavings that's still attached to the bumper. It would make the hole much less noticeable.
any recommendations on how best to do that? I dont want to rip apart the extra stuff around the hole.
Old 08-28-15, 11:01 AM
BossHu
Rookie

a very sharp xacto knife or utility knife, a set of pliers, and a very sturdy hand.
Old 08-28-15, 11:28 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can I get some pictures of this please?

Quick Reply: Front plate/bracket question on F Sport