RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

RRM Power Manager Install video

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 11:27 AM
Ed_Labao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RRM Power Manager Install video

Here is a install video I did with the RRM power manager. This is my "dealer ready" setup which means it is easy to remove and reinstall when you need to visit the dealership.

I have driven the car about a 100 miles now and I intend to make a followup video with my driving impressions when I put more miles on it. Hope this helps.

Old 08-26-15, 11:34 AM
walkedu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you mind doing a review of your experiences with the power manager? MPG, driveability, throttle response with the different modes ect? Im interested in this mod but would like more input on it.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh sorry! I didn't fully ready your text above. Cant wait for the review!
Old 08-26-15, 12:36 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never mind my earlier post, I noticed that you were in that forum so you will have access to that information. Look forward to seeing what it does for the RC's - also side track: anyone know where to look @ headers? lol

Last edited by SRC350F; 08-26-15 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 12:37 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Great video. Thanks
Old 08-26-15, 01:09 PM
Ed_Labao
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by walkedu
Do you mind doing a review of your experiences with the power manager? MPG, driveability, throttle response with the different modes ect? Im interested in this mod but would like more input on it.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh sorry! I didn't fully ready your text above. Cant wait for the review!
Yes I will do a video while driving using a head cam I am watching the MPG closely right now and my initial observation is it is about the same. The problem is I am driving it harder and is on S+ mode 100% of the time since I got the RRM box
Old 08-26-15, 07:19 PM
3ivato
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please let us Know what u think when you are Done ..Thnx
Old 09-02-15, 10:13 AM
walkedu
Driver

Any updates?
Old 09-02-15, 07:06 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Interesting would like to hear what you have to say.
Old 09-03-15, 11:04 AM
Ed_Labao
Driver School Candidate

Any updates?
I put about 250 miles on it now. I dedicated a whole trip to work on Eco mode and I got about 25 MPG with about 15 miles of freeway driving and 10 miles of street. On my normal S+ mode driving to work the MPG seemed to be about the same. Truthfully, I am driving pretty heavy footed as the sound ( I have a muffler delete) and the power is so much fun.

For the driving feel. I really am enjoying how the car pulls very linear from low RPM up to redline. The "dead band" I used to feel between 4K to 5K rpm is gone. My plan this weekend is to shoot a video while driving so yo guys can hear and see how the car responds. I will post it on this thread as well.
Old 09-03-15, 11:36 AM
walkedu
Driver

Originally Posted by Ed_Labao
I put about 250 miles on it now. I dedicated a whole trip to work on Eco mode and I got about 25 MPG with about 15 miles of freeway driving and 10 miles of street. On my normal S+ mode driving to work the MPG seemed to be about the same. Truthfully, I am driving pretty heavy footed as the sound ( I have a muffler delete) and the power is so much fun.

For the driving feel. I really am enjoying how the car pulls very linear from low RPM up to redline. The "dead band" I used to feel between 4K to 5K rpm is gone. My plan this weekend is to shoot a video while driving so yo guys can hear and see how the car responds. I will post it on this thread as well.
Sounds promising!

How does the throttle response feel using normal mode? For me, normal mode esp going up very linear hills I get this really dead feeling, almost like I have to actually put the car in sport mode just to get the car to downshift to the proper gear to get me at a gradual cruising speed (70-75 mph).

Our eco mode is a lot better than per say BMW's. Its a bit more responsive and less laggy. But sometimes I feel like there no difference between eco and normal as far as driving dynamics goes. I was hoping the module would clear this up.

Thanks for your input!
Old 09-03-15, 04:13 PM
Ed_Labao
Driver School Candidate

Sounds promising!

How does the throttle response feel using normal mode? For me, normal mode esp going up very linear hills I get this really dead feeling, almost like I have to actually put the car in sport mode just to get the car to downshift to the proper gear to get me at a gradual cruising speed (70-75 mph).

Our eco mode is a lot better than per say BMW's. Its a bit more responsive and less laggy. But sometimes I feel like there no difference between eco and normal as far as driving dynamics goes. I was hoping the module would clear this up.

Thanks for your input!
The power delivery on ECO is a little better, BUT I dont think it will solve your frustration on how it is currently performing as the shift points are not modified at all. The car wants to be always on the highest gears it can be so it saves fuel. You can use your paddles to downshift even while you are on Drive mode, maybe that will help?
Old 09-03-15, 06:56 PM
walkedu
Driver

Originally Posted by Ed_Labao
The power delivery on ECO is a little better, BUT I dont think it will solve your frustration on how it is currently performing as the shift points are not modified at all. The car wants to be always on the highest gears it can be so it saves fuel. You can use your paddles to downshift even while you are on Drive mode, maybe that will help?
Ya I usually do that right now or toggle different drive settings. Eco is understandable but what gets me is normal mode. I love both cars but I'm hard pressed to say that when I do blip the throttle for a little more power the car hesitates a little to downshift unless I'm really giving it WOT.

But what you described as far as the power delivery being more linear throughout the powerband and the throttle response being a bit more crisper is very great to hear. I might end up pulling the trigger on this just to get me through my commutes.