RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Today is the day....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-15, 06:39 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. Beautiful color choice. Glad everything went well at the dealer.
Old 08-22-15, 07:10 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We knew that...

Originally Posted by Canesguy
FYI, you could/should have refused the nitrogen filled tires, and they would not have removed it and re-filled with air (which is 80% nitrogen). Letting N2 out and filling with air is way too time consuming with labor cost. Their outrageous charge was pure dealer profit......live and learn.

Anyway, beautiful car! Enjoy!
Most things offered by the dealer are outrageous. But I don't know if it was a teachable moment. We knew we could have refused it and they would have removed the charge. So it was a decision we made freely. My husband said to leave it...so we did. I didn't care one way or the other.

We both knew if we refused it that they would not have charged us for it. We talked about this on way home. But it just wasn't important enough to us to make a stink. We just spent $53k on a car. We were okay with the $189.

We are loving the car. Not one second have I had buyer's remorse.

Dawn
Old 08-23-15, 08:02 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kymbakitty
Most things offered by the dealer are outrageous. But I don't know if it was a teachable moment. We knew we could have refused it and they would have removed the charge. So it was a decision we made freely. My husband said to leave it...so we did. I didn't care one way or the other.

We both knew if we refused it that they would not have charged us for it. We talked about this on way home. But it just wasn't important enough to us to make a stink. We just spent $53k on a car. We were okay with the $189.
Dealers love customers like you (LOL). Glad you are enjoying the car.
Old 08-23-15, 09:07 AM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default Excellent...

Dealers love customers like you (LOL). Glad you are enjoying the car.
Glad to hear that because I would consider it a win win then.

This car buying experience has been like none other (husband is in his 60's, so he's not new to the experience either).

When I read 100's of threads for what people paid for their new RC's, I was thrilled with $5,500 off the MSRP, no matter what I added or removed. I thought it was super fair. Sure, there were some folks that got a better deal, but you have to be okay with the price you negotiated or what other people paid would drive you nuts.

You make it sound as if we bought a warranty, service plan (maintenance) and a few other things that were offered to us when we picked up car. Quibbling over $189 really didn't seem like something either one of us felt like we even wanted to do. If we encountered a bunch of surprises (this whole transaction was done via text...never even went to dealer until we picked up car), then hubby would probably have said remove. But it was smooth sailing all the way.

I think my husband had read about this option and wanted to try it for himself. We bought a car for over $53k....another $189 was just not something we needed to demand to be removed.

Dawn
Old 08-23-15, 09:12 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations...she is a beauty. My favorite color in RC. The pics do not do justice to the color. In person, it is even more eye catching. Enjoy.
Old 08-23-15, 09:54 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Glad to hear that because I would consider it a win win then.

This car buying experience has been like none other (husband is in his 60's, so he's not new to the experience either).

When I read 100's of threads for what people paid for their new RC's, I was thrilled with $5,500 off the MSRP, no matter what I added or removed. I thought it was super fair. Sure, there were some folks that got a better deal, but you have to be okay with the price you negotiated or what other people paid would drive you nuts.

You make it sound as if we bought a warranty, service plan (maintenance) and a few other things that were offered to us when we picked up car. Quibbling over $189 really didn't seem like something either one of us felt like we even wanted to do. If we encountered a bunch of surprises (this whole transaction was done via text...never even went to dealer until we picked up car), then hubby would probably have said remove. But it was smooth sailing all the way.

I think my husband had read about this option and wanted to try it for himself. We bought a car for over $53k....another $189 was just not something we needed to demand to be removed.

Dawn
I agree someone is always going to get a better deal than you if you compare. I admit, I've been suckered too, live and learn.

I'll let this go if you will, but since you're not, it sounds like you're rationalizing. It's your perogative if you want to give the dealer an extra $189 for absolutely NOTHING. At least with a service plan you'd have something, although I wouldn't recommend falling for that trap either. Suffice to say, the "win win" is the dealer's on this issue.

Last edited by Canesguy; 08-23-15 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-23-15, 10:37 AM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default Let go?

I agree someone is always going to get a better deal than you if you compare. I admit, I've been suckered too, live and learn.

I'll let this go if you will, but since you're not, it sounds like you're rationalizing. It's your perogative if you want to give the dealer an extra $189 for absolutely NOTHING. At least with a service plan you'd have something, although I wouldn't recommend falling for that trap either. Suffice to say, the "win win" is the dealer's on this issue.
There's really nothing to let go Caneguy...can't we just agree to disagree? People spend money differently and that's okay. We made an informed decision. We could have refused it but it just wasn't something that we felt we needed or wanted to do.

Seriously not a big deal....overpriced? Absolutely. But we are still okay with it. Yep....even today.

I don't even feel like I need to rationalize. Now, some folks would say I should rationalize why I would spend over $50k on a car...but I don't need to rationalize that either because it isn't coming out of their pockets.

Thanks....

Old 08-23-15, 12:22 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Congrats on your new car! It's a beauty in that gorgeous red.

Paying $189 for nitrogen (basically air) is crazy! Especially since it's probably a one time deal and you'll be filling it with regular air within a few months at your first service. A lot of dealers don't offer it anymore since not many customers were willing to pay for air. I could think of many things I'd rather spend $189 on than air in my tires.
Old 08-23-15, 12:24 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

...can't we just agree to disagree? People spend money differently and that's okay. We made an informed decision. We could have refused it but it just wasn't something that we felt we needed or wanted to do.

Seriously not a big deal....overpriced? Absolutely. But we are still okay with it. Yep....even today.

I don't even feel like I need to rationalize. Now, some folks would say I should rationalize why I would spend over $50k on a car...but I don't need to rationalize that either because it isn't coming out of their pockets.

Thanks....

Ah, sure .
Old 08-23-15, 01:07 PM
lbmustache
Driver School Candidate

Looks great, love the color!
Old 08-25-15, 12:21 PM
dmac250
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Very Nice

Congrats
Old 08-28-15, 04:54 PM
exbmwlover
Driver School Candidate

Love it! I have the same one!

Old 08-28-15, 05:13 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default For sure now.....

Originally Posted by exbmwlover
Love it! I have the same one!

I just picked up from getting windows tinted. Now they look identical....although you may have darker side windows.

I did the same thing on the tiny windows. Tinting those anything other than 5% just wouldn't make sense (the frame of the window is already black). I got 50% on front passenger and driver and 15 on back. I love it!!!!!

Usually combining different percentage of tints doesn't work but I would say this is exception.

I thought I was the only one that didn't want the Sport model.

Dawn